Favorite Cottage Cheese Recipes?

Options
124»

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I made the hot spinach dip mentioned here for a party Tuesday night - and it was a big hit! Unlike my usual spinach artichoke dip with lots and lots of fats in it, this tasted fresh and the spinach really comes through (for better or worse).

1 package of frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed of water
    1 regular tub of lowfat cottage cheese (I dumped mine in a strainer first to let some of the liquid go
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
    small onion, chopped and sauteed (optional)
    pepper to taste

Mix cottage cheese and spinach and heat in a microwave for 2 or 3 minutes - stir and drain out any excess liquid. Put into oven safe dish, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and put under the broiler until the cheese is melted. Serve with tostitos and/ or veggies!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    tagging for my self :smile: just learning to like it..

also us it when making fritattas in place of reg cheese :)
  • webita
    Options
    i also buy my cottage cheese at Sam's in the 3 lb. tub (2% milkfat), but my nutrition info on the container says 90 calories for 1/2 cup. They also have the 4% milkfat at 110 calories for 1/2 cup, and that comes in a 5 lb. tub. You better check your container again.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Lately I like to heat the cottage cheese in the Microwave to just slightly melted, let it cool a little and top with avacado and medium salsa. Scoop up with your favorite baked corn chip. A full meal!
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • 1jackie
    Options
    Hello there,
    I love cottage cheese with a tablespoon of guacamole. The nutritional value in the avacados is very good for you and its oh so yummy. jackie
  • lovetodance
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! My favorite combination is cottage cheese with canned, drained mandarin oranges. Pears are also great! I have tried the low fat cottage cheese but I think the flavor in the regular small curd is the best. To me it's worth the few extra calories. yum:smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    this is making me so hungry! :)
  • mrsbojangles
    Options
    these all sound so yummy! tagging for later.

isn't cottage cheese really high in sodium?
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    bumping for future reference.

Lately, I have been eating mine with slice pineapple and cinnamon. This works great for Greek yogurt too.
  • Adam13523
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, and have gotten several ideas here.
    I usually make a simple side dish with cottage cheese, chopped peppers (green, red or yellow), chopped tomatoes, and chopped onions, sometimes green onions.
  • kelkie11
    kelkie11 Posts: 18
    Options
    Sodium affects people in different ways.... If you watch your sodium with other things then eating cottage cheese won't kill ya. I used to drink cup o soups and lost weight, but I knew someone who could not drink them at all because there was so much sodium in them that she would gain weight every week.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A great little veggie dip is cottage cheese and a tblsn of garlic power mix on high in a blender for about 30 seconds. If you like spicey go with a little cayanne too.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this! I recently just "discovered" cottage cheese as well - I've been using it on baked potato with Garlic and hot sauce. I was wondering about scrambled eggs - and will now try it. I'll definitely be trying that spinach bake I read! I :heart: :heart: :heart: spinach and combined with cottage cheese and baked - should be the BOMB!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Bumpin the Cottage Cheese thread!:tongue:

Sprinkle a bit of pepper on top, someone shared that with me just last week, tried it, mmm a nice flavor mix.

Pineapple mixed with cottage cheese is tasty, of course in it's own juice!:tongue:

Need to look over this thread more closely, lots of great ideas.

I too feel it has LOTS of sodium so I do limit how much I eat. I think it has close to 500mg of Sodium in 1/2 cup. Which is about a 4th-5th of our daily allotment depending on what you choose as yours.

I follow sodium as one of my 5 here on MFP, not because I need to for any particular reason but because I find it fascinating how much is in so many foods, it would be so easy to go way over if not careful.:flowerforyou:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump (just finished a breakfast of 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup pumpkin, cinnomen to taste - sooooo good)

I LOVE pumpkin and LOVE cottage cheese- I can't wait to try this!!!!!!

Cottage cheese with fresh strawberries or blueberries is my favorite combo. Mmmm! I add a packet of splenda to sweeten it up! If you're anti-splenda you could use honey... more calories though!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    LC No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake Pie

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, divided
    1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
    2/3 cup boiling water
    1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
    1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
    2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping

Directions:
    Coat the bottom and sides of a 9-in. pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cracker crumbs; set aside.

In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool slightly. Pour into a blender; add cream cheese and cottage cheese. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into prepared pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining cracker crumbs. Cover and refrigerate until set.

Yield: 8 servings.

Nutrition Facts
    One serving: One piece Calories: 131 Fat: 7 g Saturated Fat: 5 g Cholesterol: 17 mg Sodium: 207 mg Carbohydrate: 8 g Fiber: 0 g Protein: 7 g Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.