Non-Traditional Brides - Any Regrets?

Options

Replies

• itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if you will regret it!

That said, yes I regret it. We planned a wedding with just the 2 of us. I had the big white dress and we went through the motions. I dont think I would have regretted a small ceremony with all the bells and whistles though.
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No regrets at all....we had about 25 people and had dinner with all of them afterwards. It was nice, it was intimate...and in the end it accomplished the same thing...and we didn't have to spend thousands of dollars. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were together for 8yrs prior to getting married...we knew it was inevitable just never in a rush. ;) Neither one of us wanting anything big, nor we are religious either. We married in my parent’s back yard, where our family created a circle around us. For us, it was intimate, and perfect. Congrats!

Edited to note: Family was IMEDIATE family (both sets of parents, sister, brother, gramma, nieces....total of 12 of us
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Been married twice.

The first it was me, him, a preacher and a witness.
    The second time it was on Lime Tree Beach in St Thomas, US Virgin Islands. The only guests were his parents and his best friend. The pictures are BEAUTIFUL and it was cheap, the wedding, dress, bouquet, dinner, everything only ran $900. That aspect I do like.

However, I sometimes wish we would have had a big reception when we got back. Just a night of dancing, drinking, and having fun with friends.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I loved every minute of my wedding...it was beautiful. The reception was a huge party and people still talk about it 3 years later. We had about 80 people at the end of the day, and never once did I feel stressed out and was a bridezilla...tons of happy wedding party goers..

THe only thing I do regret is the size of the dress I got married in...that dress doesn't stay on my body today...we're going to renew our vows in Aruba on our 10 year and I CANNOT wait to pick out that new smaller dress.

Whatever you know is best for you....you won't have any regrets if you go with your heart and instincts.
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I regret nothing. Mine got pretty big but we wore comfy clothes, no serious vows (I promised not to go, "Agh!" when he's driving), and we had a Soul Train dance line during the half time show mid-ceremony. It's better to have a good story and memory than a big mess.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    There was 21 family members at my wedding, including us, at 10 am, everybody got to be in the photos we took until the reception, lunch was at a very cool Japanese restaurant at noon and we were back at the hotel and napping by 230 pm. Everything was SIMPLE - no theme, no colours, not even any decorations - I just wanted to get married, I wasn't looking to create an "experience" for anybody! Everyone plus all our friends were invited to our favorite pub later that night for drinks and laughs. It was OURS and it was perfect. We regret not one thing. (Plus, the whole thing, including the dress, came to less than $8000.)

(Note: I did do the Vegas thing, first time around, and that I did regret. Having my family there was very important to me. So we stayed put this time round, it just had to be on our terms, since it was our day!)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You won't regret anything if you're marrying someone that makes you happy and someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with. It's not the day that matters, it's what happens the rest of your life. Unfortunately, it will be other people that have an issue with what you decide. Their problem really. It's your life, your wedding, your decision. I liked my relatively small (traditional) wedding (80 guests - mostly family).
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the traditional wedding the first time around. Second one was in the booth at the pub where we had our first date. Save yourself a ton of money and go small.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    We never got engaged as such, we just booked a date and sent people invites.

It was small and informal. It was an outside venue over looking the sea. The men and my hubbie wore shorts and flip flops.
    I wore a knee length white dress I bought from Oasis for £160.
    There were no bridesmaids, no posh flowers (my friend picked me up a small bouquet and there were tea lights on the tables), friends and my sis took the photos.
    We a had a buffet and went to the beach to send off paper lanterns at dusk.
    We all stayed in caravans. And the next day we all had a barbecue done on the beach.

Everything we decided on was done on our first instinct. No regrets whatsoever.
    Still happily married. That was 3 years ago
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had a small wedding and it was perfect! We only had 20 people in attendance for the ceremony and the minister had them stand in a circle around us for the actual vows. Everyone participated and we felt like we were surrounded by love (not just our love, but the love from family and friends) the entire time. It was stress free and I remeber everything! I don't think you have to sacrifice what you want however, just do it on a smaller scale. I did the white dress, and the flowers, and the pictures. I didn't have any attendants because I didn't want to have to decide between friends. The day was peaceful and so special!

I have heard from so many brides that had huge weddings that they wish the could remember it but that the entire thing was a haze! After the wedding and honeymoon, we had a big celebration party for everyone else! Who doesn't love a good party? It was a wedding celecration party, casual dress since there wasn't a ceremony, and people ate, danced, and had a great time. We showed the wedding ceremony video, and had a photo slide show of us from dating through the wedding. We went light on decrations since it was casual, but had great food catered in. For the wedding and the celebration party, we spent about $5000 total and paid for it all in cash. We weren't about to put our parents or ourselves in debt for a wedding.

If I had to do it all again, I would choose it the exact same way! I couldn't stomach the thought of spending a down payment for a house on one day, and I have never regretted the decision. We were all about the marriage, and not just the wedding. I hope that you find the best choice for you and your fiancee! Good lick!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My wedding had 50 guests and it was PERFECT, I would never regret the way we did it. This is what I think: taking your vows is a very serious, intimate thing, and I only wanted people that I was really close to and that were important to me and my husband to be there to share in it. We got to have real conversations with everyone who attended, and because we kept the guest list small we were able to afford things like some really amazing gourmet food and drinks. I highly doubt you will regret your choice if you keep your wedding day small and intimate.

This is exactly how I feel. Vows are so private and intimate, I can't even imagine exchanging them in front of anyone besides our families and a few of our longest friends. This is how we want ours to be like when the time comes.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh, and we're going on 13 years. :smile: :heart: :love:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    if it's the right marriage, you will never regret a small wedding. i have seen this proven a LOT.

offbeatbride.com has a lot of really cool ideas for non-traditional weddings, some big, some small, all awesome and unique.

me? if i ever get married, i plan on it being a surprise. i want to invite family and friends for a "bridal party cook out" tell them all it's so they can meet and hang out and get to know each other. then, halfway through, have the officiant show up and pause the party long enough for vows, then crank the music and the grill back up.
  • Mishi1369
    Options
    I can't tell you if they (or espicially she) regrets it because it was my brother's wedding, but what I can tell you is that they had a small 30 person wedding, in my backyard with a dinner following and having been thier wedding planner, I can tell you that its still a lot of work and there was still family drama and in some cases more because it was smaller and they feel they have more access to you.

I say, have the wedding you want and can afford. Go small if you want to, go large if you can and want to. But don't go small expecting there to be less drama and less work because that is not always the case.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eloped a lil over a year ago. I am Canadian and came over to the US on a fiance visa (so we only had 90 days to get married) and no money left over (from the very expensive process of immigration) for a small or big wedding. So we hopped on his Harley and set out for an adventure! We settled on days later to get married by a ordianed minister in our hotel conference room :) Then spent our "honeymoon" exploring and riding home! My only regret is not having my parents & his children there!
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The big white wedding is just one option in a great sea of choices. It's also typically an expensive event to put on.

Remember, our grandparents' generation, the 'traditionalists', got married during war time. It was usually a fast courtship, a short engagement (if any at all), and a courthouse wedding. And many of that generation were/have been married for decades longer than their children were. The outcome of their wedding (a lasting and happy relationship) was not dependent upon it being a big tah-dah.

That being said, if that's the kind of wedding you have always dreamed about (the big white wedding, I mean), and you're willing to put the time, energy, and resources into making it happen, then it's more than likely that you will be happy with the outcome.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If I could do it again, I'd make it even smaller. It was wonderful being able to enjoy our wedding and our guests without the overwhelming task of having to host hundreds of people we barely knew. Plus the bonus of fewer people is that you have more money to spend on what is important to you. Our menu, cake and flowers were all amazing and I don't think I could have done it so well if I had to pay for more meals. We had a beautiful little ceremony in a park by a lake with just our closest friends standing around us and a couple of kids playing violin. If we had to get chairs and seat hundreds of people, it would not have been the same. Eight years later, people still talk about what a great time they had.

My sister got married at a court house and we all wore jeans and t-shirts that said "bride, groom, best man, mother of the bride" etc. and then went to their favorite Mexican restaurant. It was fun and inexpensive and really fit her style. Just 9 people at the ceremony and about 20 at the reception. They were able to take all the money they saved and have a fantastic trip and some home improvements.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    His parents and siblings.
    My two best friends
    JP

Never regretted it. I KNEW a wedding would stress me out. And he thought it would be a waste of money. :smile:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Destination wedding in Mexico with 17 guests. Never regret it, still have family and friends gush about what an amazing experience it was.

4554_528474965241_4998238_n.jpg