Lifting weights to lose weights?

Options

Replies

• lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had great reults with it with as little as doing it 3 times a week. I used P90X instead of going to the gym tho.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks waldo56
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Lifting causes you lose weight differently than cardio. I don't do cardio. I lift heavy 3 days a week and eat at a slight deficit in order to minimize muscle loss as I burn fat. I have gained a bit of lbm (and hopefully muscle) as well doing this, but I think that is mainly because I haven't exercised in years and I am getting those "beginner's gains".
    But yeah, if you are trying to lose, the biggest advantage to lifting in my opinion is to minimize muscle loss.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I ran for 2 years before I started lifting weights. It has made a difference in my body shape as well...It's worth it!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

I've never done traditional cardio. It helps, in that it creates a deficit, so you can have your food intake a bit higher, but it's not necessary.

While cardio may burn more in that particular session, lifting weights burns extra calories in the 24hr period after lifting. This doesn't happen with cardio. Also, weight lifting helps change your body for the better in more ways than just weight loss. If 2 people both lost 30lbs, but 1 lost it through cardio and diet only, and the other lost through lifting and diet, the person lifting would have likely lost the most fat, and the least amount of muscle.
  • ladance_4
    ladance_4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good question. And if you have seen results, what are some examples of things that you do? How many sets, reps etc..... Thanks in advance:smile:
  • Kvanstrom
    Options
    I usually do a 50/50 split, especially in the beginning of my weight loss journey. I do 30 minutes of interval training on the treadmill and/or elliptical and then 30 minutes of weight training. I also prefer to be a bit more muscular, it's more of a natural look for me, so this is why I try to incorporate weight training every day. I find that the cardio eliminates the extra fat, and when that is gone, I have muscle that is already there from my weight training.

Killing two birds with one stone, I guess :)

When I am at my goal weight, I think I will focus more on weight training. Maybe 15-20 minutes of cardio, and 30-40 minutes of weight training?
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    I have to lift to lose. Cardio alone doesn't do it for me.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio queen and my body shape was just not changing, yeah I was slim, but still squishy lol.....i recently started strength training, and in one month my body fat went from 19.1% to 17.6% , my boyfriend says he sees a change, I only just started but I am pretty sure this will change the shape of my body which I have been looking for, I still do cardio, but not nearly as much, one day a week i dedicate to cardio, one day rest, the other 5 20 -30 min cardio and 40 - 50 of weight training. Its not much but seems to be working
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio queen and my body shape was just not changing, yeah I was slim, but still squishy lol.....i recently started strength training, and in one month my body fat went from 19.1% to 17.6% , my boyfriend says he sees a change, I only just started but I am pretty sure this will change the shape of my body which I have been looking for, I still do cardio, but not nearly as much, one day a week i dedicate to cardio, one day rest, the other 5 20 -30 min cardio and 40 - 50 of weight training. Its not much but seems to be working

Not much? It is more than enough.
  • sc0418
    sc0418 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ECW202
    ECW202 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? I found this program on Pinterest a few weeks ago, but I have not attempted it yet.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've never lost much weight doing just cardio. Case and point: I did the 60 day Insanity challenge and didn't lose ANY weight! I did build a little muscle in my legs and my endurance improved. But after putting in that much effort doing cardio, I was SICK of cardio! Now I do mainly strength training and have gotten over my plateau. I'm losing at a steady rate again.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Diet is best to lose body fat percentage. Lift (resistance training) to get strong. Cardio (fast twitch repetition) for endurance, stamina and tone.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For later! I'm very interested but need to run out the door for work! Bump!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Why do you always write a novel in response to posts? I get that you know your stuff, but damn.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. Both my husband and my friend who is now a personal trainer tell me that the most effective way to burn fat is to mix cardio with lifting, and I like it. It makes cardio not suck so much, and make me look forward to working out.