Things that make you go...Hmmmm....(outrageous calorie burn)

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great job with your post about accurate calorie estimates OP!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There have been times that MFP has logged some ridiculous calories burned for me. I just don't eat them back, or I only eat a small portion of them back. I only log the exercise that I do to log the exercise, not to get more calories to eat.
    I have asked for an HRM for Christmas (which given that I suffer from SVT) would be the best thing for me so I can track my heart rate anyhow.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You guys MAY be hanging out with the wrong peeps..lol. You need to join Hustla Balla's challenge where most people burn 10-15-20 k a week. I have burned over 35k in a week.

You might think that is a lot but I find that on my endomondo website I have friends on their burning 50-60k or more weekly.

It might be BS to some but if you are doing it it's between you and God.

I teach 8-10 hours of spinning each week and at least match that with weights. I also walk all day long in the field as an outside rep.

I can normally smell BS a few miles away, however most of the burns you guys have suggested are cheating wouldn't crack HB's top 10.

Maybe exercising more will help you attain a loftier burn. But if you aren't healthy and/or NOT really doing it WHAT'S THE POINT OF POSTING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You guys MAY be hanging out with the wrong peeps..lol. You need to join Hustla Balla's challenge where most people burn 10-15-20 k a week. I have burned over 35k in a week.

You might think that is a lot but I find that on my endomondo website I have friends on their burning 50-60k or more weekly.

It might be BS to some but if you are doing it it's between you and God.

I teach 8-10 hours of spinning each week and at least match that with weights. I also walk all day long in the field as an outside rep.

I can normally smell BS a few miles away, however most of the burns you guys have suggested are cheating wouldn't crack HB's top 10.

Maybe exercising more will help you attain a loftier burn. But if you aren't healthy and/or NOT really doing it WHAT'S THE POINT OF POSTING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    You're very defensive about this.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I feel as though MFP greatly exaggerates calorie burn (for me personally) and so I just adjust it to what my HRM monitor says
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    i'll be honest, i'm one of those people that's had some outrageous burns at times...but i use my HRM for random things, like black friday shopping last week. so when i logged that i burned a crap ton of calories, i knew it was mostly correct (not an absolute, but a good indication). that said, i hate using the MFP amounts-they are outrageously off!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I totally agree... but like you said, it's not on us. If they want to tweak their calories to something outrageous to justify the burger they ate, then that's on them. Your body isn't going to notice the cheat you entered for your MFP friends! I also think it's silly when people use prepping food or cleaning as an exercise. I could see it for someone who maybe is bed ridden because they're that obese and it's their first time moving in a while... but stuff like that is just part of your average daily life... I clean daily, I cook daily... and I'm pretty sure it's not "working out". But again! It's on them. lol.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHjfgSaDNjiJlMr8HkIi4Bbc5dxgyKXUMeB-lHpkwuv9Ytapn4oLqFts_KuA
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen someone post an outrageous calorie burn on MFP and think to yourself that is unFREAKINGbelieveable!!! No really… unbelievable. I know it’s none of my business…ppl can sabotage their own lifestyle changes…but being someone who is still 260lbs even after losing 70lbs…I know how much work goes into burning 10-15 calories a minute!!! It’s not easy…at ALL! Sometimes after I do a HIIT workout I am blinded by sweat with my heart rate WAY out the zone and come to find out I only burned 120 calories in 20 minutes…and you want to tell me you burned 90 cals walking to your mailbox for 5 minutes? I think not!!!

Sometimes I just get so annoyed when someone posts a ridiculous exercise…then it’s even more annoying when they wonder why they are NOT losing weight. Really!?!?!

OK…I'm done ranting…I shall dismount my soapbox now! :O)

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way trying to be mean… I know that there are some folks that just don’t know any better… like me in the beginning....but this really bugs me and when I have mentioned it to a couple Pals they blew it off and then the next week complained about not losing. So….

Yes!! I not going to pretend it doesn't drive me bonkers when I see HUGE calorie burns being logged by people that are NOT losing weight. Yep it's not my business, it's there own self sabotage but it's still frustrating to see it. Also when people log consistently as in every single day big calorie burns on non-exercise activities such as - shopping, hanging christmas lights, sewing/quilting, moving household items, food preparation, more shopping and more sewing.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

Truth. He's hardcore.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ls400eJKpe1r317bvo1_250.gif
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I always use my hrm to track my cals. MFP has never really been accurate. It's frustrating in a way to be "in shape" these days compared to when I weighed a lot more and it took a lot more to complete the same activities. Right now I am doing insanity. According to the beginning video and books you can burn 600-700 calories per workout. I rarely break 300.

Running tho for me doesn't burn as much as doing a circuit type workout involving burpees, frog jumps, some weights, etc. I burn more doing those things b/c I can get my heart rate higher, longer. Running just isn't my thing I guess.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Back when I used to mountain bike, I weighed about 185 and used an HRM. Most of my rides were 2-3 hours in length, and I would always see 4 digits on the watch when I was finished. I believed I burned between 500 and 800 calories in an hour and had an average heart rate of 75-80% of my max HR.

The reason why I don't believe that people burn 1000+ calories in an hour is because it takes a LOT of work and a LONG time to be able to build up the endurance to sustain such intense efforts over long periods of time. Yes, if you are heavier, you will burn more calories, but by the time you're able to actually exert yourself over a period of more than 10 minutes, you're going to have lost a lot of weight, or you're doing it wrong (considering people on here are usually trying to lose weight).

It took me 3-4 years of hard mountain biking to get to the point where I could ride a single speed mountain bike up and down a 200m tall escarpment for hours at a time and push myself every minute on those rides. No one is going to go from being a fat *kitten*, sitting on a couch, to suddenly busting their butt at a high heart rate for over an hour and blow 2000 calories doing so, multiple times a week. Even if someone managed to pull it off, that's how you kill yourself.

Ever heard of a heart attack? Read up on how they're triggered.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you wouldn't burn 120 calories in that amount of time at your size. I'd invest in a better HRM or do a VO2 max correction.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I wonder about that too. When I was able to walk, I would walk for 2 miles at about a 17 mins mile. For the 2 miles I only burned approx. 250 cals. according to my hrm watch. When I was using an elliptical I would burn about 300 cals in about 45 mins of going at a good clip. I can't workout right now, but when I can, I will clock it with my mio watch. And the sad part is that it takes so long to burn 100 cals, and eat something small like a yogurt burns those 100 cals. :noway:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who would post

***** burned 3200 calories doing 8 hours of walking. because that's how much he felt he walked during the day and he would eat back his calories, he wouldn't listen so I deleted him!
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    Based on distance and time, MFP generally hugely overestimates the calories I burn walking or jogging. If I know the route and that I went 2 miles at a 3 mph pace based on the time it took, MFP generally gives me several hundred calories over what my HRM says. I just stopped tracking excercise because I found it frustrating and I don't eat calories back.
  • MoniqueB79
    MoniqueB79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Youare not the culprit, Christina! LOL :O) I saw someone post carloies burned for croqueting.... WTHeck!?! Rediculous! LOL
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The reason why I don't believe that people burn 1000+ calories in an hour is because it takes a LOT of work and a LONG time to be able to build up the endurance to sustain such intense efforts over long periods of time.

Then you should come to Houston and attend one of bigced's hardcore spin class. He'll show you how it's done.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    "Why am I not losing weight" and when I said maybe her burns weren't accurate she told me she had a spreadsheet so it had to be accurate....

Ok. If that works for you fine. But just because it's on a spreadsheet doesn't make it right. I feel bad saying anything but really? Don't dismiss out of hand the possibility that you have an accounting error going on.

Bwahahahahaha! :laugh: