Options
2»

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The extra run in the morning is unnecessary, IMO

Yep.

There is scientific evidence to suggest cardio over 60 minutes is unnecessary for anyone. There are no further benefits after 60 minutes. If it's the caloric deficit you're after, you'd do just as well to eat less and skip the P90X... Keep running an hour a day if you love it (I love it too!) Train for a half marathon or something that will have you running 2+ hours probably. But don't just do 2-3 hours of cardio each day because you can a) eat more or b) lose faster.

a) This won't work because what you really need is balance in the long term.
    b) This won't really work either because your body needs fuel to do all that activity...

Everything in moderation... including exercise.

I say, run an hour every day if you want... and start lifting heavier weights. Skip the P90x.

Would you be so good as to share the source of this "scientific evidence".

No. I can't be bothered to look it up. This is a forum and I'm just answering the question with my response. This isn't a medical journal. It's there, though... if you want to see it, look for Mayo Clinic and such.

So it becomes a question of what do you prefer - P90x or running... do the one you love. But if you choose running because you love it, lift some weights too.

Your unresearched blanket statement is simply incorrect. Unnecessary for anyone? Really? I'm training for a marathon. Believe me when I tell you that it is not only necessary, but critical, that I run beyond 60 minutes, in order to reach my marathon time goals. Please don't issue inaccurate blanket statements - you are doing no one any favours by doing so.

ETA: just checked your profile. Surprised you would issue such a statement given that you're a seasoned runner yourself. Don't you ever train beyond 60 minutes???

Unnecessary unless you're training for an endurance event. Did you see where I suggested the OP go ahead and do that if they want a reason to train longer? I'm not perpetuating misinformation. Good grief...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246366.php
    http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/06/18/hlsa0618.htm
    http://cardionutrition.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/too-much-exercise-can-be-a-bad-thing.pdf

Training too much can actually be damaging. For overall cardiovascular fitness, the World Health Organization advocates 30 minutes of exercise daily. http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/en/

I'm a runner too. And while I haven't gone for the full marathon yet I've done a couple of halfs and a couple of trail races that take 2:30-3:00. You bet I train for those distances, but that's because it's what I love to do. My goals are related to running faster, farther and being stronger for it. The OP seems to just want to be in shape. So then 3 hours a day of cardio is not only unnecessary, but could be detrimental.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your body. Make sure you incorporate 1-2 rest days (days of only light walks or hikes) in your weekly schedule and get adequate sleep and nutrition to fuel your body. If you start experiencing mood swings, disturbed sleeping patterns, extreme fatigue, and stuff like that you have gone too far.

I exercise vigorously 6 days a week but I also eat about 4000-4500 calories a day and get 9 hours of sleep minimum on a nightly basis.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    3 hours of exercise a day? Yes, it's too much.
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If your looking to burn more calories then just doing one of the P90X videos alone couldn't you just do the lean P90X option and throw in the Cardio X as your second form of exercise for the day? You would burn about 800 calories a day. I'm sure that why they added that option in P90X.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Instead of re-quoting one person's comment to just argue, why not just ignore that comment, and give your own answer that applies to the original question being asked!
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    I would say it's too much. Increased exercise will eventually lead to an increased appetite - you'll have to eat more to fuel the extra workouts so unless you're doing them for pure enjoyment I really wouldn't bother.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Patience and consistency works better in the long run. You're doing great from what I can see! No need for the added workout.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Too much of a good thing is too much. Yes, you can hurt yourself. P90X is pretty intense. I don't know how you can run for an hour and then do that. I'm in great shape, and I can barely pull that off. I have done it a few times, but then I sleep for the rest of the day. It's not worth it. One or the other. What I do is run one day and do weight training another, and just alternate like that.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Three hours of exercise a day is unnecessary for all around general fitness and weight loss. If you're having fun well then have at it....but do realize at some point your body is going to need a good recovery period.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Yep.

There is scientific evidence to suggest cardio over 60 minutes is unnecessary for anyone. There are no further benefits after 60 minutes. If it's the caloric deficit you're after, you'd do just as well to eat less and skip the P90X... Keep running an hour a day if you love it (I love it too!) Train for a half marathon or something that will have you running 2+ hours probably. But don't just do 2-3 hours of cardio each day because you can a) eat more or b) lose faster.

b) This won't really work either because your body needs fuel to do all that activity...

I say, run an hour every day if you want... and start lifting heavier weights. Skip the P90x.

Would you be so good as to share the source of this "scientific evidence".

No. I can't be bothered to look it up. This is a forum and I'm just answering the question with my response. This isn't a medical journal. It's there, though... if you want to see it, look for Mayo Clinic and such.

So it becomes a question of what do you prefer - P90x or running... do the one you love. But if you choose running because you love it, lift some weights too.

Your unresearched blanket statement is simply incorrect. Unnecessary for anyone? Really? I'm training for a marathon. Believe me when I tell you that it is not only necessary, but critical, that I run beyond 60 minutes, in order to reach my marathon time goals. Please don't issue inaccurate blanket statements - you are doing no one any favours by doing so.

ETA: just checked your profile. Surprised you would issue such a statement given that you're a seasoned runner yourself. Don't you ever train beyond 60 minutes???

Unnecessary unless you're training for an endurance event. Did you see where I suggested the OP go ahead and do that if they want a reason to train longer? I'm not perpetuating misinformation. Good grief...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246366.php
    http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/06/18/hlsa0618.htm
    http://cardionutrition.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/too-much-exercise-can-be-a-bad-thing.pdf

Training too much can actually be damaging. For overall cardiovascular fitness, the World Health Organization advocates 30 minutes of exercise daily. http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/en/

I'm a runner too. And while I haven't gone for the full marathon yet I've done a couple of halfs and a couple of trail races that take 2:30-3:00. You bet I train for those distances, but that's because it's what I love to do. My goals are related to running faster, farther and being stronger for it. The OP seems to just want to be in shape. So then 3 hours a day of cardio is not only unnecessary, but could be detrimental.

Did you read the report from the Mayo Clinic?

In the conclusion the recommendation is 1 hour per day for optimal CV benefit and that there may be a diminishing return above and beyond that and that for some individuals there may be an adverse effect.

Your statement was blanket and all inclusive: "There are no further benefits after 60 minutes." which is simply inaccurate.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options

Yep.

Something being unnecessary isn't a good reason not to do it. Well, I suppose it would be if you really didn't WANT to do it, but there are all kinds of things that are fun but unnecessary. Playing the piano isn't "necessary" but it sure is a lot of fun. (Actually, I would argue that playing piano absolutely is necessary for me, but we're getting philosophical there.)

In my opinion, the body is designed to move. If running feels good, do it. As long as you're consuming enough calories to off-set such a large burn, who cares? There's a big difference between doing something that feels good and pushing yourself too hard. You could always try it a couple days a week (or whatever) and if you love doing it more, great, if it's too much, do less or drop the additional run. Lot's of people do physical labor 8+ hours a day and survive perfectly well. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

Only you can be the judge what is or is not too much. Regardless what anybody else thinks they know.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options

He said that he enjoys being outside and clears his mind. Are his reasons for running less important than yours? According to your research then, just because you have goals to run faster and farther still shouldn't mean that you should be putting your body through more than 60 minutes a day (or is it 30 min) of working out. Why should it be any different for you and him? So what if he isn't training for anything? I'm saying that it is ok for him to run as much as he likes as long as he isn't getting injured, regardless of why he wants to run. It is none of our business as to why he wants to run, frankly.
  • weloveourboys
    Options
    Instead of re-quoting one person's comment to just argue, why not just ignore that comment, and give your own answer that applies to the original question being asked!

The person giving the inaccurate information should know that they are doing so as to not perpetuate inaccurate information.
  • weloveourboys
    Options

In my opinion, the body is designed to move. If running feels good, do it. As long as you're consuming enough calories to off-set such a large burn, who cares? There's a big difference between doing something that feels good and pushing yourself too hard. You could always try it a couple days a week (or whatever) and if you love doing it more, great, if it's too much, do less or drop the additional run. Lot's of people do physical labor 8+ hours a day and survive perfectly well. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

Only you can be the judge what is or is not too much. Regardless what anybody else thinks they know.

This exactly.
  • michellekicks
    Options

Did you read the report from the Mayo Clinic?

In the conclusion the recommendation is 1 hour per day for optimal CV benefit and that there may be a diminishing return above and beyond that and that for some individuals there may be an adverse effect.

Your statement was blanket and all inclusive: "There are no further benefits after 60 minutes." which is simply inaccurate.

I'm not going to split hairs with you over subjective statements. It's still my opinion based on what I know that there are no further health benefits i.e. lowered mortality, after 60 minutes daily. Everyone can read that report themselves. And yes, of course I did, else I wouldn't have posted it or referenced it.

The only benefit over 60 minutes is the ability to go, well... over 60 minutes in an activity you choose to do. Again, perhaps you missed where I actually recommended the OP take up endurance running as a sport and train to run 2+ hours... in which case, my recommendation based on my own running experience is to ditch the daily P90x (mind you, he could use P90x as a great cross-training activity for non-running days).

He said he loved running and so I suggested he do the thing he loves... just not ridiculous amounts without a specific goal.
  • michellekicks
    Options

He said that he enjoys being outside and clears his mind. Are his reasons for running less important than yours? According to your research then, just because you have goals to run faster and farther still shouldn't mean that you should be putting your body through more than 60 minutes a day (or is it 30 min) of working out. Why should it be any different for you and him? So what if he isn't training for anything? I'm saying that it is ok for him to run as much as he likes as long as he isn't getting injured, regardless of why he wants to run. It is none of our business as to why he wants to run, frankly.

You're absolutely right. Last word for you... :drinker:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Who cares what any study says? There are no detriments to being active and if you can do it without being wiped out and even more, enjoy it, all the power to you. Frankly, I'm jealous you have that kind of stamina since a hard workout in the morning usually has me begging for a nap in the evening.

Work hard, play hard, love your life. The only point that it becomes too much is when it becomes too much for *you.*
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yep. Thank you! My overall goal is obviously to lose weight, but the amount of cardio that I do isn't necessarily intended to make the process any quicker. I simply enjoy running, being outside, and pushing my body. For the first time in my life, my fitness is at a point where I can go out and jog for an hour without feeling like I'm going to pass out. I love the feeling of actually being able to push my body, and notice improvements. I've also got so much going on in my life right now, I guess I use fitness as my escape. I don't intend, nor do I desire to lose more than 2 lbs per week, so obviously my first step is to eat more. I know enough about nutrition and fitness to understand that I could simply work out less, eat less, and have the same results. But I guess my question should have been, is there a safe way of exercising this much? The last thing I want to do is injure my body, so what are some things I can or should be doing in order to be able to workout 2 hours a day. Obviously I need to eat more. I also understand the need for a recovery day or two, so I will definitely incorporate those.
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That first paragraph was supposed to be a quote. Not sure why it didn't.