rapidly losing weight past goal weight...

Options
13»

Replies

• nduva
    nduva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating more calories so there is no defecit. I wouldn't recommend giving up cardiovascular exercise as a whole. There are other benefits to cardio other than weight loss, it's a healthy heart! Maybe change the Frequency, Time, Type or Intensity, but do not cut it out all together. A well-rounded exercise program actually includes cardio, strength training and flexibility (believe it or not).
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem...

Ditto....

Ditto, too!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE PIZZA!!

2vb6bfr.gif

LMAO!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating more calories so there is no defecit. I wouldn't recommend giving up cardiovascular exercise as a whole. There are other benefits to cardio other than weight loss, it's a healthy heart! Maybe change the Frequency, Time, Type or Intensity, but do not cut it out all together. A well-rounded exercise program actually includes cardio, strength training and flexibility (believe it or not).
    what do you mean by flexibility? like yoga?
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can nail exactly how much more to eat to reach TDEE and maintain.

How much have you been eating on avg daily for last 3 weeks - X

How much have you lost over the last 3 weeks - Y

X + (Y * 3500 / 21) = TDEE

Eat that much for this level of activity, keep doing what you are doing.

Why have I not seen this until now?! I've been experimenting with my diet and exercise to figure out what my TDEE is and I came up with between 2000-2200. I could have just made it easy on myself and used your equation lol. Thank you!!

Sorry for the thread hijack. Now back to regularly scheduled programming :drinker:
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can put things into perspective:

You lost the last 5 lbs in 4 weeks. No matter what you do, at worst you'll gain the 5 lbs back as you fine tune what you eventually settle on doing.

I would cut back the frequency of exercising in half. Most likely, the cardio is what is burning the most calories, I doubt the weight lifting has added a lot of muscle and therefore would burn more calories so I would cut the cardio frequency in half.

Also, eat another 250 calories/day. If your weight goes back up, either increase the amount you are exercising or decrease how much you are eating. Again, we are talking about 5 lbs or 4.9% of your bodyweight.

For myself, my weight can increase as much as 5 lbs (I'm currently 171) during the day (which is why I only weigh myself first thing in the morning).

If you continue to lose weight, keep increasing your calories until it levels off. If you've lost too much weight, then eat more to get to the level you wish to be at, then decrease your food intake to maintain the weight.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Why should you stop all cardio? It's not just for losing weight. It has other benefits as well. I agree that you should find the calorie range that works for you and incorporate lifting, but I would hesitate to cut all cardio out of your life. I NEED to exercise to feel better. It relives stress for me and I love the way it makes me feel. It's all about balance. Cardio, strength training and food intake. And everyone is different. Find what works for you and your body.

Good luck!
  • nduva
    nduva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by flexibility? like yoga?

Yoga and pilates are a good source of flexibility training. You could also incorporate stretching after cardiovascular exercise - when muscles are warm reducing the risk of injury. Flexibility is important, often forgotten - tight hamstrings can even sometimes be to blame for low back pain.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are eating less than your exercise level warrants and are accurately recording it,, whatever happened to the much vaunted "starvation mode" that is supposed to kick in when you body does not receive enough nutrition?

Personally I think, if you are not unhealthy or ailing and your body is still losing, then you have weight to lose.

(Personal Opinion only, not based on any medical knowledge!)
  • stines72
    Options
    If you are eating less than your exercise level warrants and are accurately recording it,, whatever happened to the much vaunted "starvation mode" that is supposed to kick in when you body does not receive enough nutrition?

Personally I think, if you are not unhealthy or ailing and your body is still losing, then you have weight to lose.

(Personal Opinion only, not based on any medical knowledge!)
    i am nearing under 100 pounds for weight.. not healthy. i dont have any more weight to lose and if i do it will probably be in the form of lean body mass which i dont want. that starvation mode thing must be a myth lol
  • stines72
    Options

Why have I not seen this until now?! I've been experimenting with my diet and exercise to figure out what my TDEE is and I came up with between 2000-2200. I could have just made it easy on myself and used your equation lol. Thank you!!

Sorry for the thread hijack. Now back to regularly scheduled programming :drinker:

i know! im so glad that was posted. the whole TDEE thing was soo confusing to me before. i like that equation much more than a guessing game.. of course im sure there will still be some trial and error but now i have a good idea of what i should be eating to maintain and with way less spreadhseets lol. no need to apologize either!
  • Jennaay88
    Options
    i want to know how you did it I am at 1100-1200 calories a day. I was doing 30 min of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I also cut out all soda and tea drinking 120 oz of water a day. Nothing happened. I have bumped up my cardio to an hour a day and 30 min of weights have not noticed anything change. Today I have decided to stop eating all together. Every one says you cant loose weight that way but people with anerixia dont eat and are thin. I am fustrated and fed up so I need to do something the right way has not helped.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    check your thyroid......time to see a Dr. be safe. (in my mom voice) :wink:
  • stines72
    Options
    i want to know how you did it I am at 1100-1200 calories a day. I was doing 30 min of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I also cut out all soda and tea drinking 120 oz of water a day. Nothing happened. I have bumped up my cardio to an hour a day and 30 min of weights have not noticed anything change. Today I have decided to stop eating all together. Every one says you cant loose weight that way but people with anerixia dont eat and are thin. I am fustrated and fed up so I need to do something the right way has not helped.

you want the honest truth of how i did it? after months of being on 1200 calories and below i decided to start eating more. once i started eating more the weight started falling off. and trust me it scared me to eat more, i thought i would gain every pound i lost back and i struggled with it. your body needs food.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

oh math.. lol i will do this thank you so much
    Why don't you eat 2000 calories now?
    i dont want there to be a sudden gain of fat, that is something im trying to avoid
    This happened to me. STOP Cardio. Keep lifting - eat more. Don't be afraid to eat more. I hit my goal in May, and by July I was 11 pounds under because I didn't adjust...don't do what I did.
    i dont have a problem with eating more but stopping cardio will be tough mentally. but i will take your advice and lift only from now on.

Some how ....I don't think the solution is to stop your exercise. If you are feeling good with it - then it is important both physically and mentally. I think it is likely just adjusting your eating habits. You spent however long trying to keep a deficit, if will take time to NOT be scared to eat a more....'normal' amount. What is your Carb to Protein ratio like? And beyond all of this, if the weight loss does continue...you really should go and see your doctor. Just to be on the safe side.

Great job on your success, and good luck to you! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a tumor.

"It's not a tumor!"
  • stines72
    Options
    Some how ....I don't think the solution is to stop your exercise. If you are feeling good with it - then it is important both physically and mentally. I think it is likely just adjusting your eating habits. You spent however long trying to keep a deficit, if will take time to NOT be scared to eat a more....'normal' amount. What is your Carb to Protein ratio like? And beyond all of this, if the weight loss does continue...you really should go and see your doctor. Just to be on the safe side.

Great job on your success, and good luck to you! :)

eeek i eat tons of carbs lol.. not sure of the ratio (really bad at math) but here are my numbers for the past 3 days to give you a general idea

today: 303 carbs, 48 protein
    yesterday: 290 carbs, 45 protein
    day before yesterday: 304 carbs, 62 protein

id say about 60% of my carbs come from the fiber one cereal i eat at breakfast and night
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

i know! im so glad that was posted. the whole TDEE thing was soo confusing to me before. i like that equation much more than a guessing game.. of course im sure there will still be some trial and error but now i have a good idea of what i should be eating to maintain and with way less spreadhseets lol. no need to apologize either!

The only time that formula doesn't work if it's fat being lost, inches, but not weight. There's still a deficit that can't be nailed that easily.

Or, if someone has a suppressed metabolism from undereating for their level of activity, and the loss was artificially low. In which case using the formula could cause someone to cut even lower, making the effect even worse.

But I sensed neither of those in your case, though the first could still apply to some degree.
    You could have lost 10 lbs of fat and gain 5 lbs of LBM because of your exercise - in which case you actually have to eat even more than the formula to actually maintain.
    But very unlikely for short period of time.
    And if there is a slight degree of that, it'll be noticed still. In which case you do the math again.
  • stines72
    Options
    The only time that formula doesn't work if it's fat being lost, inches, but not weight. There's still a deficit that can't be nailed that easily.

Or, if someone has a suppressed metabolism from undereating for their level of activity, and the loss was artificially low. In which case using the formula could cause someone to cut even lower, making the effect even worse.

But I sensed neither of those in your case, though the first could still apply to some degree.
    You could have lost 10 lbs of fat and gain 5 lbs of LBM because of your exercise - in which case you actually have to eat even more than the formula to actually maintain.
    But very unlikely for short period of time.
    And if there is a slight degree of that, it'll be noticed still. In which case you do the math again.

interesting.. i didnt think about that aspect of it. i am worried the weight i lost was lean body mass, or at least a good portion of it. i guess i will just have to try it out and see, huh :) thanks for the input