Things that make you go...Hmmmm....(outrageous calorie burn)

Options

Replies

• BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a huge burn day I think people think that about me. But the burn rate for an hour's jogging would be about 800 for me, so I don't think the MFP 400 for badminton is way out of line. I tested with my HRM but it gave me loads more cals (stupid numbers) so I'm super suspicious of that. So for two hours badminton, less fifteen minutes of faffing about between games, that's 700, plus four miles of walking to and from for another 200 or so... it's a lot. Then I try mostly to eat half my exercise cals. I've got MFP set to lose a pound a week; I'm actually losing about 1.5 pounds a week on average. So, yeah, that would reflect 1750 cals a week of underestimate, feels just about right.

But still, the day I logged 1400 calories I thought 'well, nobody will believe that, it's insane'.

In general I don't think I can burn more than about 600 calories an hour no matter how hard I try. I'm in awe of people who can.

What I am suspicious of is the MFP rates for slow walking, gardening, housework and so on.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I blame the MFP calculator. I use rock-climbing as my main exercise of choice. Usually, I am at the gym for at least 2 hours rock climbing. If I log those 2 hours though, MFP says I burned between 1500 calories or more. Doubting this, I usually shave off 30 minutes to account for the time I spend on the ground, but it still seems too much.

If I were to assume that MFP was giving me a completely accurate burn, I would be eating a lot. I'm looking into buying a HRM so that I can get a better idea of what I burned during a workout.

I guess, what I'm saying is that they may just be taking MFP's numbers for face value and assume they are spot on.

I haven't yet done it with an HRM (the watch is so cumbersome), but you DO burn a pretty incredible amount of calories doing things like rock climbing, bouldering, and/or swimming.

I hook it around my sports bra strap and it doesn't bother me. I HATE wearing it on my wrist.

I'm confused on how it tracks your heart rate if it isn't actually connected to a pulse point? Not judging just asking.

I have a chest strap for mine and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    totally understand this. i see it on my news feed sometimes and its like "really?" their exercise was "walking for 15minutes at a brisk pace and they burn 450 calories" or something along those insane lines. im like really? i just spent 30 minutes at the y on my lunchbreak on a crosstrainer busting my *kitten*, hard breathing, major resistance, and i burnt 450....
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHjfgSaDNjiJlMr8HkIi4Bbc5dxgyKXUMeB-lHpkwuv9Ytapn4oLqFts_KuA

Have you been waiting all day to post that picture? Jelly of who?? Someone who is logging 300 calories for croqueting and not losing a single lb? Not so much! Thanks for the concern though! lol

image.png
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    absolutely!! When I add exercise I purposefully make it less than I really did because I don't have an HRM thus cannot be accurate.

What I am the most paranoid about however is the calories for some foods. For example popcorn. When I looked it up I couldn't believe the calories on movie theater butter were so low so I didn't eat much after that because I was convinced it was lying lol

Popcorn is low cal... but high sodium and fat. That's where they get you :P
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I log some pretty big burns, but I use a heart rate monitor for accuracy. I also haven't weighted myself in over a month, I am basing my success on how my clothes fit (which is much much better). So my weight doesn't change on here and I have big burns. Most of my friends on here know that I don't own a scale anymore and they know I use a HRM so I don't worry about it.

How can your HRM give you an accurate calorie burn without knowing your weight?
  • kmbweber2014
    Options
    I log some pretty big burns, but I use a heart rate monitor for accuracy. I also haven't weighted myself in over a month, I am basing my success on how my clothes fit (which is much much better). So my weight doesn't change on here and I have big burns. Most of my friends on here know that I don't own a scale anymore and they know I use a HRM so I don't worry about it.

Mine does know my weight. It knows my height, weight, age and gender.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Sometimes, I blame the MFP calculator. I use rock-climbing as my main exercise of choice. Usually, I am at the gym for at least 2 hours rock climbing. If I log those 2 hours though, MFP says I burned between 1500 calories or more. Doubting this, I usually shave off 30 minutes to account for the time I spend on the ground, but it still seems too much.

If I were to assume that MFP was giving me a completely accurate burn, I would be eating a lot. I'm looking into buying a HRM so that I can get a better idea of what I burned during a workout.

I guess, what I'm saying is that they may just be taking MFP's numbers for face value and assume they are spot on.

I haven't yet done it with an HRM (the watch is so cumbersome), but you DO burn a pretty incredible amount of calories doing things like rock climbing, bouldering, and/or swimming.

I hook it around my sports bra strap and it doesn't bother me. I HATE wearing it on my wrist.

Does that do it as accurately?! I would love to start wearing it like that because it drives me crazy on my wrist, too!

If it has a chest strap the watch part is just a receiver, you can wear it anywhere (as long as it's close to you- like not in your gym bag at home) and get the same accuracy.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

You just said you don't weigh yourself?
  • kmbweber2014
    Options

Does that do it as accurately?! I would love to start wearing it like that because it drives me crazy on my wrist, too!

If it has a chest strap the watch part is just a receiver, you can wear it anywhere (as long as it's close to you- like not in your gym bag at home) and get the same accuracy.

This is a cool idea, I never thought about that.
  • kmbweber2014
    Options

You just said you don't weigh yourself?

Well it knows my weight as of a month ago, and it will know my weight as of Dec 1st again. Decided once a month weighing is more than enough.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHjfgSaDNjiJlMr8HkIi4Bbc5dxgyKXUMeB-lHpkwuv9Ytapn4oLqFts_KuA
    Have you been waiting all day to post that picture? Jelly of who?? Someone who is logging 300 calories for croqueting and not losing a single lb? Not so much! Thanks for the concern though! lol
    28983007.jpg
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm one of those people since I just use the MFP numbers but:

I don't log anything that is a normal part of my day, just if I actually go to the gym or for a run
    I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories back
    I'm still losing weight

I figure that if I get to a plateau, I will get more serious about weighing my food and accurately counting my exercise calories.

BTW, what's the difference between an HRM and a fitbit?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yesssss! Thank you so much!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm sure I'm one of those people since I just use the MFP numbers but:

I don't log anything that is a normal part of my day, just if I actually go to the gym or for a run
    I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories back
    I'm still losing weight

I figure that if I get to a plateau, I will get more serious about weighing my food and accurately counting my exercise calories.

BTW, what's the difference between an HRM and a fitbit?
    Fitbit is an all day thing, like an advanced pedometer. Tracks all your daily movement and activity. Not great for workouts other than walking or running.

HRM is better for getting a workout burn estimate, inaccurate if worn all day, can't get accurate numbers for things other than aerobic cardio.
  • MisFitMom219
    MisFitMom219 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    HRM is far more reliable than any preset number mfp has set....

with my hrm my numbers are higher than what they have when it comes to weight training.
    The cardio numbers seem some what close, but still exaggerated.

but agreed, sometimes I see posts like walked 3.0 speed for an hour, 600+ cal burn....& I wonder if they were hiking up a mountain carrying 50lbs of gear because thats almost too awesome! lol
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I logged my non-stop 60 minute Tae Bo workout and got some sort of outrageous number of calories burned. Yes, I weigh a ton, but there's no way it burned that many.

I just shrug and ignore it. I never eat back my exercise calories anyway.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It may be that you're seeing someone who posted a bunch of activities at the same time, so it'll say something like "so n so burned 1643 calories doing 240 minutes of cardiovascular exercise including vacuuming"... when in actuality that person posted the following:

120 minutes running @ 10 min/mile pace
    60 minutes weight training
    45 minutes yard work
    15 minutes vacuuming

... but it will look like a claim for 240 minutes of vacuuming. That is an MFP technical fail imo.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    It may be that you're seeing someone who posted a bunch of activities at the same time, so it'll say something like "so n so burned 1643 calories doing 240 minutes of cardiovascular exercise including vacuuming"... when in actuality that person posted the following:

120 minutes running @ 10 min/mile pace
    60 minutes weight training
    45 minutes yard work
    15 minutes vacuuming

... but it will look like a claim for 240 minutes of vacuuming. That is an MFP technical fail imo.

really good point.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm 6'3" and about 225lbs. if i'm pushing myself for an hour, i can burn a lot. i also had an HRM that greatly over estimated my burns.