Things that make you go...Hmmmm....(outrageous calorie burn)

Options

Replies

• skycain
    Options
    Well there is a girl I know and she is in the army.... she is an officer...early 30's and they are hardcore. She has a lot of muscle but she also has love handles and a good amount of fat and never loses weight. Just because someone is bigger doesn't mean they are out of shape. She is in great shape and bigger. I guess what I'm saying is that everyone burns differently and looks different.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I think the soapbox enjoyed being mounted... maybe you should get back on?
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHjfgSaDNjiJlMr8HkIi4Bbc5dxgyKXUMeB-lHpkwuv9Ytapn4oLqFts_KuA

Have you been waiting all day to post that picture? Jelly of who?? Someone who is logging 300 calories for croqueting and not losing a single lb? Not so much! Thanks for the concern though! lol

I could totally burn 300 calories playing croquet. I've burned 3000 on a single run before (and I used the MFP estimates, because I don't trust my HRM).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Only when they log mowing the lawn on a riding lawn mower.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    I am stopping using walking as an exercise on MFP. I record my gym exercises now as it knows my height, weight etc and I think it is more accurate. Going to get a HRM too to be extra accurate! Thats why I don't eat all my exercise calories back.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    The MFP estimates are soooooo far off, though. After buying a HRM I found that what MFP was telling me was usually at least double what I was actually burning. So if they're going by MFP, they'll definitely be off. Hopefully they're not eating back their calories they've "burned", though! :S
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    HRM is far more reliable than any preset number mfp has set....

with my hrm my numbers are higher than what they have when it comes to weight training.
    The cardio numbers seem some what close, but still exaggerated.

HRM do not measure calories burned correctly while doing strength training, or some "cardio". They are for aerobic exercise only. Stuff like HIIT, uphill running or other high intensity cardio could easily become anaerobic and also measure incorrectly.
  • MoniqueB79
    MoniqueB79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It may be that you're seeing someone who posted a bunch of activities at the same time, so it'll say something like "so n so burned 1643 calories doing 240 minutes of cardiovascular exercise including vacuuming"... when in actuality that person posted the following:

120 minutes running @ 10 min/mile pace
    60 minutes weight training
    45 minutes yard work
    15 minutes vacuuming

... but it will look like a claim for 240 minutes of vacuuming. That is an MFP technical fail imo.

Yeah, I understand this but I see their diaries and know what they are posting. I just think ppl should not rely on the MFP calculations and get educated about how calories are actually burned and what factors affect how you burn...like weight, gender, etc. We are not all built the same. ;O)
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    completely agree! i blame it on mfp... when you enter the time u've done a workout, it calculates it for you. that's why i encourage everyone to get an hrm. just bc you did sit ups for 10 min means u consistently did them w/o stopping to burn 100 cal... :grumble:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The best approach is to ignore it, if it bothers you that much that is what the delete button is for.

Usually posts like these come from a place of jealousy or regret, they are annoyed when they see GREAT JOB on a 1500 calorie burn when it is obvious that the person is not being accurate. Offer your best advice if you truly think you can "help them" other than that dont complain just delete or ignore it.

I saw it a lot when I first started with MFP but I just realized that if I saw someone logged in for 100 days or so and they were still doing it they were in all sorts of denial and there is nothing you can do to "help " them.

I saw people who were 325lbs + logging two hours of swimming vigorous effort which is like a 3k burn. I am sorry but that is not accurate, people at that weight ( I know I was at 370) are not capable of doing that.

In every instance I saw, the person inevitably failed. They were not being honest with themselves. Myfitnesspal is not a magic cure, it basically just keeps you on track, the honesty part is completely up to the user, if they are not honest this is a useless tool and they are going to fail every time. When they come to grips with it and can actively admit freely to themselves they have a problem they will be successful but until then..
  • MoniqueB79
    Options
    The MFP estimates are soooooo far off, though. After buying a HRM I found that what MFP was telling me was usually at least double what I was actually burning. So if they're going by MFP, they'll definitely be off. Hopefully they're not eating back their calories they've "burned", though! :S

Agreed! The MFP calculators and even the machines at the gym! When I got my HRM I was shocked (and slightly saddened) to see how many calories I actually burned. It was half as much as I had thought.

One problem I see if that some of my pals with the inaccurate calorie burns eat their calories... well, "duh... thats why you are losing." LOL It is what it is. I just hope ppl wise up. ;O)
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I had a friend post "vigorous pushups" for 1/2 hour straight with insane burns of like 500 calories. I asked them if they had ever tried doing it with a heart monitor and they replied no. But as you say, its their own sabotage. I always use my heart rate monitor so there is no error.
    Knowledge is power lol
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    Great job with your post about accurate calorie estimates OP!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

who ARE you? and what did you do with the other guy?
  • MoniqueB79
    Options
    The best approach is to ignore it, if it bothers you that much that is what the delete button is for.

Usually posts like these come from a place of jealousy or regret, they are annoyed when they see GREAT JOB on a 1500 calorie burn when it is obvious that the person is not being accurate. Offer your best advice if you truly think you can "help them" other than that dont complain just delete or ignore it.

I saw it a lot when I first started with MFP but I just realized that if I saw someone logged in for 100 days or so and they were still doing it they were in all sorts of denial and there is nothing you can do to "help " them.

I saw people who were 325lbs + logging two hours of swimming vigorous effort which is like a 3k burn. I am sorry but that is not accurate, people at that weight ( I know I was at 370) are not capable of doing that.

In every instance I saw, the person inevitably failed. They were not being honest with themselves. Myfitnesspal is not a magic cure, it basically just keeps you on track, the honesty part is completely up to the user, if they are not honest this is a useless tool and they are going to fail every time. When they come to grips with it and can actively admit freely to themselves they have a problem they will be successful but until then..

Good point! I shall try to ignore it or delete them all together. ;O) The fact is no matter what you log...whether its fact or fiction....your body knows the difference and will ultimately hold you accountable. I just want to see ppl be successful and it’s annoying when they sabotage themselves and then complain about it like MFP didn’t do its job… No! You didn’t do YOUR job! Eh hmmm… lol :O)

Like I said before… I am 260 and I work hard for every calorie burn and what is more important to me is the minutes/hours I am active each day and not the calories that are registered by my HRM. :O)
  • MoniqueB79
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHjfgSaDNjiJlMr8HkIi4Bbc5dxgyKXUMeB-lHpkwuv9Ytapn4oLqFts_KuA

Have you been waiting all day to post that picture? Jelly of who?? Someone who is logging 300 calories for croqueting and not losing a single lb? Not so much! Thanks for the concern though! lol

I could totally burn 300 calories playing croquet. I've burned 3000 on a single run before (and I used the MFP estimates, because I don't trust my HRM).

LOL I meant crocheting (like knitting) ….not croqueting … stupid auto correct. LOL

If your HRM knows your height, weight. Gender then I would trust that over MFP any day. If not, then both are probably just as inaccurate.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Great job with your post about accurate calorie estimates OP!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

who ARE you? and what did you do with the other guy?

MFP stole his soul.
  • lprumgraham
    lprumgraham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Working out at the gym is just half of losing weight. The other half is your diet. You can burn lots of calories at the gym but if you eat more than you burned you're not going to lose weight.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I delete those people who log checking the mail, washing the dishes, house cleaning, ironing, playing an instrument, kneading bread....... ok I have to stop
  • debzv
    debzv Posts: 23
    Options
    HRM do not measure calories burned correctly while doing strength training, or some "cardio". They are for aerobic exercise only. Stuff like HIIT, uphill running or other high intensity cardio could easily become anaerobic and also measure incorrectly.
    [/quote]

Very interesting, makes sense now that you mention it. So how do you workout how many calories you actually burned when you do HITT or weights? I always just go by HRM even when i do HITT and weights.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm not defensive. I just don't think a 1,000 calories an hour constitutes a big burn unless you weigh 100-120 lbs.It just AMAZES me every time I see a discussion about this lame subject. I will defend anyone who actually is doing the work. I have also caught people lying about their workouts.

Maybe you are missing my point which is WHO REALLY CARES OR KNOWS WHAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY DOES? We can't tell by pics hell we don't even know if it's actually THEIR PICS!!

I have no reason to be defensive. I teach 6 days a week mornings and evenings. When I post a burn I could care less what anyone else thinks. In fact I encourage anyone to come to my class and see how you feel afterwards..lol

And it wasn't being defensive

I have no idea the intensity of the spin class you teach, but I'm 210lbs, and I know I burn 600-700 calories in my hour-long spin class, which is pretty dang intense. I'm pretty sure I'd die if my class was intense enough to burn 1,000 calories. That seems a tad high, IMO. But what do I know? I don't teach a spin class, I just participate.