Kettlebells anyone??

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it is backed up with science... 1200 calories in one hour! without moving your feet! awesome

wow, so everyone burns t he same amount regardless of who they are? that is pretty awesome
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    no; they would have to work up to that... But it is not difficult to work up to it and along the way... over the top calorie burning
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I do upright rows with a 45, 35, 25, 15 and 10 lb set.....I do the highest till I cant anymore, then move to the next lower number till i cant anymore etc...
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I started with 25 lb and it was too light for 2 handed swings. I switched to 35 lbs and that was a good start. I go heavier now (but nothing insane yet). That's what is generally recommended to men to start with (35 lbs)- for women, i'm not sure but it's in Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell book. My own belief is that you don't want to go too light or you can get away with having poor technique. I learned on my own from books & online videos, then found a good instructor, and that made a lot of difference.

Gotta go get ready for kettlebell class!
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    I use a 10lb and do a video that came with the kettlebell from Rebook. It's pretty effective. There is a beginner and advance both about 20 minutes long. I do both back to back now for the burn.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I started with 25 lb and it was too light for 2 handed swings. I switched to 35 lbs and that was a good start. I go heavier now (but nothing insane yet). That's what is generally recommended to men to start with (35 lbs)- for women, i'm not sure but it's in Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell book. My own belief is that you don't want to go too light or you can get away with having poor technique. I learned on my own from books & online videos, then found a good instructor, and that made a lot of difference.

Gotta go get ready for kettlebell class!

8kg for women new to exercise. The whole concept is that you need to use your whole body for the exercises, too light a weight mean you learn nothing, and 8kg is really light if you're using your whole body to move it.

Learn from an RKC source.

Learn to the swing.

Learn the Turkish get up.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I have just started kettlebells.

I want to learn the basics through RKC but there are no local instructors and nothing on You Tube as far as I can see.

Are there any DVDs from a RKC source?
  • IronSmasher
    Options

I want to learn the basics through RKC but there are no local instructors and nothing on You Tube as far as I can see.

Put RKC kettlebell swing into YouTube.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    no; they would have to work up to that... But it is not difficult to work up to it and along the way... over the top calorie burning

How many calories do you burn normally doing a kettlebell workout? And are you using a HRM?
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When i started using kettlebells i started with an 3kg then went up to 4.5kg and now currently on 6kg id prob suggest for a beginner going with 4.5 to 5kg because its the form that is key once you have proper form then id move up with the weight
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    thankyou IronSmasher
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    This reminded me i have a unopened kettlebell dvd I ordered this summer and never started bc I was training for a 1/2! Mama wants kettlebells for christmas!
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been doing KBs off and on for about 3 years now. I really like the challenge, and I like getting some strength work in but also the occasional routines that provide interval-like cardio.

I agree with other folks here that you need to get good RKC based info. The key, and it may not be apparent from watching DVDs, is the need to tighten some key muscles as you do the moves--it's all about creating a strong, stable foundation for that clean, press, snatch, Turkish get up or whatever. And it may seem like you're lifting with your shoulders or arms, but most of the time your form depends on your legs and core muscles. If you have bruises on the back of your wrists from doing cleans, you are either using too light of a bell and/or you're not coming up fast enough with your legs and your arm punch.

Also, combo moves are great. E.g., last night as part of the workout we did a bunch of clean/press/swinging clean/squat moves in a ladder (2 sets a side, then 3, then 4) repeated 5 times using a bell one size heavier than normal. That sort of workout involves a bunch of large muscles which increases your calorie burn.

I'm on older guy and I don't get 1200 calories out of my workouts--wish I did! However, my Polar HRM reports I get on average 100 calories of burn for every 10 minutes of workout if I'm going at a reasonable pace. I just restarted my KB workouts 2 months ago after having been away for a while because of some medical stuff. So maybe my burn will increase--but I doubt it as I'm getting to 90% of max heart rate during the more intense segments, so it's hard to imagine I could burn more. Probably a limitation of my age at this point.
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

How many calories do you burn normally doing a kettlebell workout? And are you using a HRM?
    I use a hrm when i use mine and for a 20 minute session it records around 215 cals lol i wish i could burn 1200cals in a session though haha i usually do a 50 min session and that burns around 500 so 100 for 10 minutes
  • IronSmasher
    Options

http://breakingmuscle.com/news-articles/kettlebells