What are grandmas called in your family?

Options

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Mommom & Nanna!
  • apanda4
    apanda4 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I used to call my dad's mum "Grandma" (before she died) and my other grandmother (mum's mum) we call Mama
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    All Filipino grandmas are called "Lola".
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    for some strange reason my kids call my mother nanny! lol
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Babushka or Baba for short
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When i was born my grandma didnt want to go by grandma so she tried teaching me her name. Lila, I ended up calling her Lili (lie-lie) and when i was seven i started calling her grammie.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My mom's mom was called Gammy, because it's close enough to Granny and Grandma without actually being either word.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My kids call my Mom "Gwamma", because they couldn't say their R's for a while and it just stuck. My half-brother's grandma was called Granna. But my favorite is actually what my kids call my Dad... "Papa Cowboy" or "PC" for short, because my parents live on a ranch, have horses and cows, and ride horses. My daughter called him that and it stuck. Its so funny.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Mine was Gamie. I really miss her! I couldn't pronounce R's well at the time... ;)
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Grandma, Grammie, Nana
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Granny!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    usually its maw-maw (grandma) big maw maw (great- grandma)

but with my 2 year old great niece . its grammy (her great grandma) granny (her grandma) and nana (me, which I am tech her great aunt, but my niece wanted her daughter to call me nana :bigsmile: ) ..
  • sheliesperfectly
    Options
    Mother's side- Grandma
    Father's side- Her first name (She HATES being called grandma)
    Step Dad's- Nonna. Her name was Shawna. RIP <3
    My mom is called Sweetie. :3
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I called both of my grandmothers "Grandma". We differentiated between them when they weren't there by using their surnames.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being called Grandma.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My kids call her Nanny.
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    Oma. :)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm Puerto Rican so we tend to call our grandmother's "Abuela", or "Wela" for short. I call my grandmother on my Dad's side "Nanny" for some reason. So I have both a "Wela" and a "Nanny". :smile:
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As the story goes, when my paternal grandmother found out she was having her first grandchild, she was determined not to feel old and be called anything like "Grandma" or "Granny"

So she chose Grandmommy. I have never in my life heard anyone else use it and now it just sort of sounds normal. Although, we are southern so it tends to be said quickly and as Gramommy.

My maternal grandma has always been "Grandma" or rather, "Gramma". My boyfriend and his sister call their grandma "Granny", which always sounds like a little old lady to me, and she's only in her early 70s.

My aunt chose "Lollie", as her intention was for her husban to be "Pop". Cute, but kind of weird.

I dread the day my mother has a grandchild and goes round and round with my mother in law about who gets called what!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    We were a boring family....it was grandmom and grandpop.

I am going to be a grandmother in March and I chose "Nandy" for my grandparent name....a cross between "Nana" and my first name.