What are grandmas called in your family?

Replies

• jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    I've always called my grandma "Lala." the whole family does too. I'm 22 and I still call her Lala haha.
  • Nana.... my great grandma is Mimi.....
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    One Grandma was Gram, the other was Grandma. My husband had a Nana and a Grandmom. My Grandpa was called Granddaddy.

My kids call my inlaws Grammy and Grammpy, and called my mom Gammy.
  • rynzi
    rynzi Posts: 20 Member
    We always called on little nanny (she is a tiny lady) and one big nanny (taller than the little one) as we grew up.
    Now we simply call them Nanny. Although when I ever talk to people about my Nanny I get weird looks. I usually end up explaining grandmother, not some babysitter. lol
  • Nana.... my great grandma is Mimi.....
    and Naner or Nana Banana
  • Grandma and Nana/Nanny
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    We called mine Gram, but when I was younger, we called her Granny Goat, not sure why, and it eventually got shortened to "Goat". Lol. SOme people thought it was awful, but she loved it. Everyone knew her as Goat. She was the best. She passed away this past September.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    My mom is Nana Ri
    My father is Papa R
    My father's wife's mom is Gigi

My daughter's fathers parents are Granny and Bumpa

My grandparents were Grandma, Grandpa and Grandma Beach (because she had a beach house)
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    My Son started his own tradition of calling my Mom Nana. It was Grandma and Mama Jordan for my grandmothers.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    We always called both of my grandmothers "Grandmom". My cousin called one of his "Nan". My kids called my mother "Grandmom" and my husband's mother "Grandma". My cousin's kids called theirs "Mimi", and my sister's kids call their other one "Granny". In most cases, the parents asked the grandparent what they would prefer to be called.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Momma
    Grandma
    Nana
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I let my grandbabies call me whatever they want. :) The oldest, 3, calls me grandma and the 2 year old used to call me Bobo until I bought him a betta fish and he named it Bobo, now I'm Memaw! lol
    As long as they don't call me Mawmaw, like in "Raising Hope', it's all good. :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    On my side Nonna
    on my husbands side Grandma
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Grandmother was ...Gammy
    Grandfather was...Poppy

:cry:
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    I am a grandma and mostly the grand kids call me by my first name, Peggy, or they call me Grandma Peggy. I let them decide what they are most comfortable with. There is nothing like it when I pull up to their house and the 3 year old granddaughter comes running out yells "Peggy!" Congratulations on becoming a grandma, it is a the best thing EVER!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Nana and Pepe

Babci and Bampa

We called him Bampa because when I was little I couldn't say Grampa - it came out as Bampa, and as the first grandchild, it just stuck! I sure do miss him!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    My kids call my Mom, Nana (not nana like banana but like naw naw) and my dad was Papa (like paw paw). My grandfather is blue grandpa because he usually wears blue. My sisters grandbabies call her gigi (g for grandma! lol). I called my grandmother granny.
  • Doesn't appear that there are many Polish people here. I called my one grandmother Busia (pronounced bush-a) and my grandfather Dziadzia (pronounced ja-ja). I now have a grandson and he calls me Dziadzia - its easy to pronounce for the young ones. My wife called her grandmother Nana and her grandfather Papa - she is Italian. She is now called Nana. We have tried to carry on some of our roots by keeping old world names. At worst, try to find a name that the young ones will be able to use early on - short two syllable versions. Just a thought.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    I called both of mine Maw Maw (insert last name). My daughter calls my mom "Nana" and my husband's mom "NeNe."
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    My Great Grandmother was Oma (I'm German)
    My Grandmother is Nana
    When my daughter was born, my mom didn't want Oma, since Oma was Oma, and she didn't want Nana because Nana is nana Lol. And she refused to be Grammy or Grandma or Grandmother because it made her sound old (she was 40, now 44). So as Kylie learned to talk, it switced a few times. First my mom was G-ma (my mom thought it made her sound awesome Lol), then she was Nini or Nene (not sure how it's spelled). Finally, my daughter decided she would call my mom Grammy, or Grandmother, because that's how the teachers refer to all grand parents at her school (Grandmother or Grandfather).