What are grandmas called in your family?

Options

Replies

• Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Nana
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm from a asian Indian background, but born and bred in South London. My Grandmothers were called Bai, and Granny (I am part English, she was the English part).

My kids have always called me by my name Kap - it was not trying to be a trendy, I just did not care if I was called daddy or my name, however I like the distinctiveness of it from other dads, so when (IF) I become a grandparent (My kids are 25 and 22 single) I have made up a name

Kappappa (Cup puppa), although I suspect my daughter will just get them to call me "The miserable old git"
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Nanny for my mom, Nana for my mother in law
    We're Mi'kmaq, and grandmother is kiju (sounds like gi-jew)
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ABUELA. I'm Hispanic. The kids Call my mother in-law Nana. And my hubbys grandma MEMA. He is from the south.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My children have a Nana, Nannie, Mamaw, and Meemaw.
  • Hellie24
    Hellie24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm Nanna ..........two n's...................... following my Mum & sisters choice
    my sister was also known as Nanna Penny ( after her dog Penny)
    & when my mum became a great grandmother she was known as Nanna Wales ( she lived in Wales) & Nanna Dinosaur ( she also lived near the play park which had model dinosaurs..& she was very old...lol )

My mother in law is Nannie
    My own Grandmother was Granny
    My other sister is Grandma

I like being Nanna is quite young sounding .. but I rarely get called "Mum" any more which is something I hadnt thought about at the time...:happy:
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    ive got a nana and a meemaw
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am Nana. My kids wanted to call my husband by his Croatian name, but DeDe is too close to my first name, so he is GranBob or Papa, whichever they can pronounce. Mostly Papa.

My daughter's father and step-mom are Grandpa and Grandma
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Nanny/Nan - We are a British family waaay back. But I used to call my closest grandma on my dad's side "grandy".
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the posts so I apologize if it's already been suggested.

Granna
    Mama and then add your first name to it.
    If your name begins with a G, you could be GG for Grandma Glenda for example.
    Mimi (Meme)
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In my family it depends. Here are the ones that various nieces and nephew call their repsective grandparents:

Grandma
    Nana
    MeMe
    Marme
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    We call my Mom's mom, grandma (although we used to call her mamaw). We call my mom's mom's mom (my great-grandma) Granny and my kids call my mom Mamaw. :)
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love being a grandma, but feel that the name makes me feel old. i have my grandkids call me nanny. Its nice because they have alot of grandmas, but i am the only one called nanny. my 9 year old grandson has shortened it to "nan"
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ungrateful and selfish national debt builders.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Grandma & Vavo
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    In my family we have a Nana, Gran,. Gigi and Grama
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    My grand angels call me "Boo"...from the movie Monster's Inc. I actually had a contest at work - and let everyone put a name in the hat....and drew one. "Boo" came out and I love it. Of course, I had to lay down some rules - my co-workers are police officers - and some thought they were very clever ;-)

I had a Mimi, GeeGee, Mammaw.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like the rule that the oldest child gets to name the grandparents. My oldest named my mom Adah instead of nana and we encouraged that so both of my kids call her that now :)

My grandparents were just grandpa and grandma with last names to differentiate.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa plus their last name (i.e. Grandma Smith), but we wanted something more fun and multicultural with my son so we decided on:

Babcia - Polish
    Oma - German

The grandpas are:

Cedo - Arabic
    Opa - German
    Pepere - French (great Grandpa)
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My mom is Mamaw, my husband's mom is Oma (they're German). Congrats to you and your family on the little one :smile: