What are grandmas called in your family?

Options

Replies

• chargers8709
    chargers8709 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nana and Bubba
  • jam5724
    jam5724 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    French side- Mim and Pip. My grandson calls me GG. My daughter says it stands for gorgeous grandma.
  • ArieB88wechanged
    Options
    Granny-Mom's mother
    Nanny-Dad's mother (RIP nanny):heart:
  • Yahweh1
    Yahweh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nannah
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    1. My father's mother was "Grandma"
    2. My mother's mother was "Mamma" (derived from Mum calling her mother "Mummy"
    3. My children called both Grandmothers "Grandma" since they lived 150 miles apart and rarely met after the wedding.
    4. Our grandchildren call my wife "Grannie" and their other grandmother is "Grandma" (partially because that is what her other grandchildren call her - and because she is a geriatric spoilt brat - who, hopefully, isn't registered on MFP)

My nephews called my mother "Mimi" after the eldest heard my sister calling her "Mummy" - when she told us she would be known as "Mimi" I offered her a rose to hold in her teeth - cause one helluva row. (but no way were my kids calling her "Mimi")
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My MIL refused to be Nanna or Nanny as she said "I'm not a goat!"
    So she is Grandma and she is married to Grandad.

My parents had divorced when I was younger so my mum was Nanny/Nanna

My Dad is GrandadDavid - said as one word no pause although for a long time it was pronounced gandadvid
    his wife is NannySue - but she was that already to her own grandkids.

I keep threatening to call her WoSM - pronounced as WIZ-OM -= Wicked old step mother since she married my dad but we get on really well!

We have invented a name for some of the family as we have a few Great aunts so they are refered to as Granties and Gruncles

But then my daughter goes through stages even now of calling me Mummy or Mama - I won't let her call me just Mum yet
    it makes me feel old and she is only 5!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am an expectant grandmother too - first one :-)

I had a Nana and a Granma Paull (who was actually my Great-grandma). My kids call my mum Nana, my dad Grandad and their paternal grandmother was Granny, grandfather was Papa.

I think I might like to be Granny, or maybe Nanny - but I guess it depends what other grandma would like to be called, and what the baby will call us when it is old enough? Will be living on the other side of Australia so it's going to be tough - I see lots of flights in my future!!
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Grandparents:

MeMe (pronounced me me) and PaPa (pronounced pa pa)
    Oma and Opa (from the German side of the family)

Great Grandparents:
    Granny Annie and Daddy Robert (everyone calls them this regardless of relation)
  • bbodzenski
    bbodzenski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my granddaughter started calling me memaw and I love it
  • JonfromIndiana
    JonfromIndiana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being a Grandparent. My kids call my mom Nanny.
  • Masqueraded
    Options
    I call(ed) mine (one has passed, one is still here) Mimi.

My niece calls my mom Gammy.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The grandmothers on my husbands side are YaYa (Greek). His Greek grandfather was Papu. His mom's mother was Nanna.
    My grandparents were all Grampa and Gramma. If were talking about them we'd use Grampa Gust (my dad's father) or last names to differentiate.
    I've also heard Nonny, Mimi, Poppy, Memaw, Pepaw, Mawmaw, Papaw.
    Really, the first grandkid is the decider. If he or she can say the name you want, that's it. If not, whatever that child can pronounce will be your name for all time.
  • alwilson22
    Options
    I call my mom's mom mamaw, my dad's mom who is deceased, granny. My daughter calls my mom Mimi. My mom wanted a cool grandma name! LOL!! Good luck and Congrats!!! :)
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    GrandMommy
    Nannie
    Gramma
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mama
    Papa
    Grandma
    Grandpa

and from the inlaws side they are called
    Grandma
    Grandpie (although, our baby says Cockie)
  • BEAUTY4UBEAST
    Options
    Mammie... 2 sweet
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Teta....
  • Jezzabelly
    Options
    Ummaw
  • ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I call my grandma, oma. I'm german
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My parents are Nana and Papa
    My FIL is Pappy and his wife is "who's that lady with Pappy" !! (Im NOT kidding!!)

My husbands Grandma is GG