Eating enough...why is it so hard?!

Options

Replies

• jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Wow ,things took a turn for the crazy there......ok to put things in perspective, I am 5' 10" CW:235. MFP has me trying to net 1530 calories a day for a loss of 2 pounds a week.. I do power 90 (the original) and play just dance 4 (to keep things fun). I know that, because I am heavier, I will burn more calories than someone smaller than me. That being said, it is calculating that I burn 600 +\-calories doing those activities, it seems like a lot . I am finding it hard to keep up with it, seeing as how if I eat something that is too high in fat, I spend all day in the restroom, and if I eat low fat it takes a ton of food to get the calories in there, therefore making me feel stuffed all day. Clear as mud no? :tongue:

If your weight loss goal is too high, then how on earth did you eat enough to gain weight? Seriously. You are capable of eating that much. Loosen up your all-or-nothing view of food and eat. Just eat less than you used to.
  • Stswife82
    Options
    Its not hard. Set your macros (1 gm protein for every pound of lean body weight, some ratio, like .75 of fat grams per pound of body weight, total intake of 80% TDEE but always above BMR, rest of your calories however you want them) Then eat acccording to your macros and forget the healthy/unhealthy food dichotomy and eat.

It. ISN"T. That. Hard..

Please make these threads stop. It isn't that hard.

It isn't.

REALLY. It isn't hard. you put the food in your mouth. You chew. You swallow. You repeat. Not hard. We learn this at like 9 months.

I read it as she is asking for help with working around her dietary restriction of most fats causing her pain. Therefore I wouldn't class this as a typical "can't eat enough" thread.

Not sure why you are still having pain after having it removed, though, most people I know without their gall bladder don't have the pain. My sister had hers out last year and the only effect it had on her (other than the cessation of pain) is she has to eat on time or she is in the bathroom for awhile. Have you mentioned this to your doctor?

The gallbladder stores bile and releases it slowly when needed. When the gallbladder is removed, when fat is introduced into the digestive system, the body dumps a large amount of bile all at once. This causes severe cramping and intestinal distress. Some people's bodies can regulate, mine didn't.
  • Stswife82
    Options
    Wow ,things took a turn for the crazy there......ok to put things in perspective, I am 5' 10" CW:235. MFP has me trying to net 1530 calories a day for a loss of 2 pounds a week.. I do power 90 (the original) and play just dance 4 (to keep things fun). I know that, because I am heavier, I will burn more calories than someone smaller than me. That being said, it is calculating that I burn 600 +\-calories doing those activities, it seems like a lot . I am finding it hard to keep up with it, seeing as how if I eat something that is too high in fat, I spend all day in the restroom, and if I eat low fat it takes a ton of food to get the calories in there, therefore making me feel stuffed all day. Clear as mud no? :tongue:

If your weight loss goal is too high, then how on earth did you eat enough to gain weight? Seriously. You are capable of eating that much. Loosen up your all-or-nothing view of food and eat. Just eat less than you used to.

My eating before was crap food. High in sugar ,low in protein and fiber, It doesn't take large quantities of that to equal a lot of calories. Now I am eating lean proteins, lots of vegigies, whole grains, ect. It takes a larger quantity of those to equal the same amount of calories, especially due to my food restrictions. I guess I will adjust. Thanks.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

WOW, you people jump all over anyone who eats 1200 calories and scream at them to eat more, and here comes someone who is TRYING to eat at 2000 calories and is asking for a little advice on how to do that safely and healthily and she gets THIS??

And someone called ME Hangry?

To the OP, I am so sorry you have encountered such rudeness at the beginning of your time here. Fortunately there are many other very supportive people on here who genuinely want to help you out. Stick around and you should find them pretty easily.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Nope. You still sound hangry.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

WOW, you people jump all over anyone who eats 1200 calories and scream at them to eat more, and here comes someone who is TRYING to eat at 2000 calories and is asking for a little advice on how to do that safely and healthily and she gets THIS??

To the OP, I am so sorry you have encountered such rudeness at the beginning of your time here. Fortunately there are many other very supportive people on here who genuinely want to help you out. Stick around and you should find them pretty easily.

^^^ Agreed! There are GREAT people here, and there are NASTY people here. Just try to focus on those that are supportive and kind. Try your best to let the rest, not get under your skin. Best of luck to you!!! :)
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time getting in enough calories! It feels like all I'm doing is eating, and I am still under my net calories by 400 to 600. Does anyone have any suggestions on some foods that are calorie dense, but low in fat? (I've had my gallbladder removed and can not eat high fat foods without some serious pain) I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

If you are not hungry why would you eat? Seriously. That's how we got fat in the first place, eating when when we didn't need to eat.

Your body is the end game, not the calorie calculator the rules everyone makes up.

This. Do not eat if you aren't hungry. Period. There's no need, in my opinion.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Why are you forcing yourself to eat so much if you aren't hungry? As long as you are eating an adequate amount and are feeling fine, don't force yourself to eat all of your exercise calories. BTW if you are going by the calorie burn numbers on MFP, they can be as much as 50% over what you actually burn.

^^This
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Ice cream

Donuts

Cinnamon rolls with icing

Cheesecake

Ice cream sprinkled with crushed donuts, layed over cinnamon rolls with icing and a cheesecake milkshake to wash it all down afterwards.

You're welcome.

LOL... Don't worry about hitting your calories. As long as you're under, I think you're golden.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    maybe ask your doctor/nutritionist for suggestions that won't cause gallbladder issues?

This ^^
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time getting in enough calories! It feels like all I'm doing is eating, and I am still under my net calories by 400 to 600. Does anyone have any suggestions on some foods that are calorie dense, but low in fat? (I've had my gallbladder removed and can not eat high fat foods without some serious pain) I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

If you are not hungry why would you eat? Seriously. That's how we got fat in the first place, eating when when we didn't need to eat.

Your body is the end game, not the calorie calculator the rules everyone makes up.

Because leptin, that's why.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/leptin/#axzz2FcZCYvRy
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Everyone is different but b4 I answered I did a couple of web searches to find out what a person can eat after having GALLBLADDER removal, some of the suggestions here would place you in a lot of pain.

Personally, i'd find an online blog ONLY for those who have faced your area of concern. You may even want to begin one (a group) here, or search on MFP for an established group that meets your needs.

Hopefully you will be ok and you realize that most of us, while trying hard, have no idea what your life is like now. I think my first goal would be to find a good number of foods that i could tolerate and worry about missing 400-600 calories much, much later. Afterall, it sounds like you are enduring pain if you eat incorrectly.
    Good Luck--Happy New Year!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

"""""Despite what some people may tell you, the gallbladder is an important organ. No, it's not necessary to have one to live but it does make life easier (unless it goes bad!) After gallbladder removal the liver has to work harder to help digest foods and filter waste. The liver can no longer rely on the gallbladder to store the bile it produces which means the bile is continuously dripping out of the liver into your stomach."""""""
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ignore the mean posts--I'm sorry a few people have to be such nasty know-it-alls. There are so many wonderful people here--in MFP and on this thread. What a shame on the snark for the others. Hon- eat what you are eating that's healthy, don't worry about the numbers (MFP's calories are double what they should be for workouts), eat till you are satified but not over the top hungry. Work out hard. The weight will come off. Feel free to add me as a friend--I have a wonderful supportive network of healthy eaters and great friends who you can look for for support too. Would love to cheer you on. It's only hard if you try to do formulas that aren't matching what your body needs. Listen to your body- eat healthy--work out hard-- and you will sail!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Nope. You still sound hangry.

Yup! Sure does.

To the OP, you been given some good ideas but I would also recommend seeing a Registered Dietician for input on how to get more calories from nutrient dense and calorie dense foods that will work with your health condition.

You are doing a great job at refocusing your health priorities. You want to make sure get adequate calories to stay on plan as you don't want to lose the excess weight at the expense of lean muscle mass. You want the majority of your loss to be fat. You also may want to consider some form of resistance training to help with that while in deficit.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

And adaptive thermogenesis.

It may seem a strange idea to some people to eat when they are not hungry. I guess the situation is different when you are at maintenance with a properly functioning metabolism and have reliable hunger cues.

A new dieter who slashes calories does not have that however. They cannot rely on their hunger cues.

Deliberately training your body to survive on less calories than it needs to maintain your calorie sweet soft for slow and sustainable fat loss is a bad idea in the long term (unless you are obese and have plentiful fat stores.) All dieting causes a metabolic slowdown, the sharper the deficit the sharper the down turn. Couple this with dieting over the long term will cause your maintenance calories to drift down towards what you first thought was a deficit.

This doesn't give you much of an insurance policy against over eating and subsequent weight gain in the future. Who do you think is in the better position: the person who can maintain on 2000 calories per day or the person, through chronic dieting, now has to maintain on 1,500 calories?

It is one of the saddest things about MFP that some people, through poor dieting strategies, now find themselves with maintenance calories less than that of a child....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

And adaptive thermogenesis.

It may seem a strange idea to some people to eat when they are not hungry. I guess the situation is different when you are at maintenance with a properly functioning metabolism and have reliable hunger cues.

A new dieter who slashes calories does not have that however. They cannot rely on their hunger cues.

Deliberately training your body to survive on less calories than it needs to maintain your calorie sweet soft for slow and sustainable fat loss is a bad idea in the long term (unless you are obese and have plentiful fat stores.) All dieting causes a metabolic slowdown, the sharper the deficit the sharper the down turn. Couple this with dieting over the long term will cause your maintenance calories to drift down towards what you first thought was a deficit.

This doesn't give you much of an insurance policy against over eating and subsequent weight gain in the future. Who do you think is in the better position: the person who can maintain on 2000 calories per day or the person, through chronic dieting, now has to maintain on 1,500 calories?

It is one of the saddest things about MFP that some people, through poor dieting strategies, now find themselves with maintenance calories less than that of a child....

Excellent, excellent post!
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm having silimar issues. I know there's tons that I can eat to get to my calorie goal...but I'm just not hungry and feel sick when I eat too much.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options

This!! I'm working on this.... because I do eat when not hungry. What I'm working on is figuring out why I want to eat when I'm not hungry. I believe Mother Nature/God gave us appetites that will tell us when we need food and when to stop IF WE LET IT WORK. That's the trick.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This!! I'm working on this.... because I do eat when not hungry. What I'm working on is figuring out why I want to eat when I'm not hungry. I believe Mother Nature/God gave us appetites that will tell us when we need food and when to stop IF WE LET IT WORK. That's the trick.

Only true if your hunger cues are working. In many cases for those who need to lose weight, they are not. That's why the whole MFP calorie counting thing is so valuable/effective.