is low fat dieting that good for you...

Options
for some reason, a lot of my friends go into this craze about "low fat dieting" = "lose weight and be healthier."

but is that really the case? because weight gain is due to CALORIES, not fat...right?

I mean, everyone needs certain fats, like omega 3's, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, etc...stuff you get from nuts, lentils, olive oil, etc. I'm a vegetarian so it's even harder for me to get enough healthy fats; I usually end up eating only like, 25-40 grams a day, even though I'm supposed to be having 55.

On the other hand, low fat dieting is good for heart health and cancer prevention....

Either way, I don't know whether I need to more fat to my diet, and how I'm supposed to do it if I should be.

What are your opinions on low fat dieting?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat and your body needs to good fats to operate properly. One lovely side effect of eating a really low fat diet is constipation.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    low fat is a fad that won't die.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    "Fat phobia" is sooo '80s. We're in a new millennium, carbs are now the favorite demon (with plenty of new "junk science" to back the claims).

To the OP: Dietary fat =/= body fat. A caloric excess causes weight gain, regardless of macronutrients.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No, fat is gooooood!

Everyone knows its carbs and/or sugar (or maybe mayonnaise) that is making people fat!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    OP, why does being a vegitarian make it harder to get in adequate amounts of 'good fats'?

Most of mine come from things like nuts, seeds, avocado and olive oil. You can eat these things too right?
  • Baldhead2
    Options
    Dieting is not good @ all. Eat what you want to eat & just eat large portions. This ****ing thing stinks
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Low fat dieting is not good at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Dieting is not good @ all. Eat what you want to eat & just eat large portions. This ****ing thing stinks

Solid post!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Fat is good, assuming you do not neglect your protein and micronutrients. It is essential for healthy body functions Try to get it from a variety of sources. Examples: nuts, seeds and nut and seed butters, ice-cream, dairy, avocados, eggs.

I am also not sure why it would be hard to get your fats being a vegetarian - I am one and have no issues getting over 50g a day, often much higher.

ETA: you are correct in that excess calories make you gain weight, not one individual macro.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    fat is nice. i don't like the word "fat" because it sounds gross, but I don't shy away from it because it's totally necessary.

I like good "fats" though, I watch my saturated fat and never consume trans fat.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options

We've had low-fat fad, low-carbs fad .. quickly I will write the low-protein fad book before someone else does
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go and hug my avocado :)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Dean Ornish is one of the biggest proponents of the low fat diet. He linked a reduction of saturated animal fat combined with stress management to a reversal of atherosclerosis, which was previously thought impossible. He has since promoted fish products in his new Spectrum plan because of the beneficial Omega 3's.

However I am of the view that eating too little fat is a bad thing. Fats help your body to absorb the nutrients in your food. I don't think that saturated fats are detrimental for the average person in normal health. I think it's crazy for Ornish to cut out all meat products because a skinless chicken breast may have a couple grams of fat throughout.

Calories in / out is the only equation that matters. I heard of a professor who went on a Twinkie diet, combined with a protein shake daily. His triglycerides and cholesterol improved from the sheer weight loss. Nothing else was required for basic health; his body reset itself just by shifting excess weight. Of course you would want more nutrients and less processing.

Fat content seems to be irrelevant. The only reasonable criticism is that it is easier to overdo calories because it is so dense.

I am not specifically restricting my fat intake and currently get about 35 grams a day.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Actually, fat can keep you full for longer, which can lead to you eating less over the course of the day. It's not so much the fat that matters but the type of fat. Try to go for fats that are liquid at room temperature over those that are solid.

One thing I've been curious about when it comes to fat is oxidation. Since unsaturated fat contains double bonds, it can be oxidized by free radicals much more easily than saturated fat, which only has single bonds. Not sure how that plays in to oxidation damage, but it's interesting to think about!
  • Kristineevans1
    Kristineevans1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My periods have stopped due to lack of fat in diet for many months so yes I can say it is very bad, especially for women, fat is an important part of your diet as it keeps your hormones functioning normally
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ssshh let them be, they're trying the new diet craze that won't work.
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My mum made me scared of avocados because she said "Oh you do realise that they are very high in fat??" silly mummy stuck in the the low fat fad even though while she said that my sisters and herself were sitting down to roasted potatoes (ton of oil) veggies, some chicken and stuffing moistened with a heap of butter and gravy '_' I know that the avocado has good fats and all that jazz but ever since then I'M SCARED TO EAT THEM all because of the silly fads.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Hmmm I seem to agree with other posters.
    I like a diet that isn't high in saturated fats however I know I still need them for healthy brain function and all that.

A friend of mine has recently had a heart attack and her dr wants her to stick with a low fat diet. However, what I think she is missing is that she needs to change the diet she has to lower fats and stop eating so much brown food. Cleaner and healthier. She also needs to lose weight so cutting fats alone wont help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hmmm I seem to agree with other posters.
    I like a diet that isn't high in saturated fats however I know I still need them for healthy brain function and all that.

A friend of mine has recently had a heart attack and her dr wants her to stick with a low fat diet. However, what I think she is missing is that she needs to change the diet she has to lower fats and stop eating so much brown food. Cleaner and healthier. She also needs to lose weight so cutting fats alone wont help.

What is brown food?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Fat is good, assuming you do not neglect your protein and micronutrients. It is essential for healthy body functions Try to get it from a variety of sources. Examples: nuts, seeds and nut and seed butters, ice-cream, dairy, avocados, eggs.

I am also not sure why it would be hard to get your fats being a vegetarian - I am one and have no issues getting over 50g a day, often much higher.

ETA: you are correct in that excess calories make you gain weight, not one individual macro.

Lipid type and content is far from irrelevant - research is showing that different types of fat effect health differently. However, what Sarah just wrote takes care of everything - eat essential fat from a variety of sources.

If you are not a vegetarian add fish and lean meats (but minimize cured sources like ham with heavy nitrate contents) to the list above.