Obese mannequin offends some...

Options

Replies

• SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    everything offends reddit users. but as far as manequins go, the ones that offend me are the big booty ones in mexican stores. I think they are hot, but raise unreachable goals because not everyone has an apple bottom. :)

Agreed and I'm full on puertorican... My butt is not that big nor does it pop or have a bubble shape lol.. It's such a set up for failure. -_- I love my small as* regardless ! Lol
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I agree the mannequin looks kinda funny but it wouldn't look so horrible if it had clothes on. Yes the head is a bit small but what mannequin is really lifelike.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If they are going to make plus sized mannequins maybe they should model them on an actual person... The head and the arms on that one make it look like Frankenstein and Arnold Schwarzeneggers love child.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    "posted a photo of a big boned display model "

Sorry what? Big bones? Is that all that's wrong with fat ppl? Big bones & not extra fat? Wow then I sould be reducing my bone size all this time. What a load of crock.

This is almost like telling people it's more than ok to be obese. As a former fattie...I object & DO find it offensive. If people worked at their weight & did the right things then there would be NO NEED for a "big boned" mannequin or "big boned" clothing stores....... would there!

Big boned..... wow not fat, not obese, not unhealthy (you can NOT be fat & healthy)..... big boned.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I like the way this article is basically just repeating a lot of thoughtless, senseless comments made by people who probably aren't bigger and no one would have ever noticed them until this person took to putting them all together. Real journalistic talent that :laugh:
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Sorry what? Big bones? Is that all that's wrong with fat ppl? Big bones & not extra fat? Wow then I sould be reducing my bone size all this time. What a load of crock.

This is almost like telling people it's more than ok to be obese. As a former fattie...I object & DO find it offensive. If people worked at their weight & did the right things then there would be NO NEED for a "big boned" mannequin or "big boned" clothing stores....... would there!

Big boned..... wow not fat, not obese, not unhealthy (you can NOT be fat & healthy)..... big boned.

I'm gonna 2nd this only because she's right... If bigger mannequins were consistently paraded around stores , I'm sure I wouldn't of even gone on a diet since that is clearly stating that society is making it acceptable... That being said after I lost e weight I donated all of my jeans and bigger clothes and now I only by what fits snug if I start exploding out of those jeans then I know I'm in trouble.. Instead of running to my old size 5/6
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry seeing smaller mannequins isn't what made me decide to take the weight off. I don't like the way I feel and the body aches I started getting that I never use to have made me want to loose the weight. I do hate seeing clothes that I'm t rying to buy on a small mannequin I go to put them on and they aren't even tailored to my size. There is no reason just because I'm bigger I can't find decent clothing to fit me and I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to waste my time with clothing that won't fit my shape.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why is its head so tiny???

And also, I think it makes sense to have larger mannequins in plus-size sections and stores. There are overweight men and women in the world. It's a fact and it isn't going to change. I doubt having larger sized clothing displayed on appropriate-sized mannequins will cause people to decide it's perfectly healthy to be overweight. It will simply help them see how clothes may fit their bodies when tried on.
    If bigger mannequins were consistently paraded around stores , I'm sure I wouldn't of even gone on a diet since that is clearly stating that society is making it acceptable

You're losing weight because there are no fat mannequins? Seriously???
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

And also, I think it makes sense to have larger mannequins in plus-size sections and stores. There are overweight men and women in the world. It's a fact and it isn't going to change. I doubt having larger sized clothing displayed on appropriate-sized mannequins will cause people to decide it's perfectly healthy to be overweight. It will simply help them see how clothes may fit their bodies when tried on.
    If bigger mannequins were consistently paraded around stores , I'm sure I wouldn't of even gone on a diet since that is clearly stating that society is making it acceptable

I think she meant that fat mannequinns will change society's ideal of the perfect figure.

Personally, full-figure stores have always had full-figure mannequinns. Granted, this one is a bit rounder than the ones at Lane Bryant, but this concept isn't unheard of. I find that no one seemed to care until attention was brought to it.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    "It's not fat, it's just big foamed"

Best comment in the article haha!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what is the problem, the United States ranked # 1 in the most obese people with 30.6% of the population being obese.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think the head makes it look more freaky then it actually is.. but I still don't think it should be shown in a store.

I didn't lose weight and bust my *kitten* to be shown what clothes look like on a fuller figure.. that I can see everyday by putting on my own clothes.

If I'm going to shopping, I want to be shown clothes should look like.. not what people think they should look like.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I think she meant that fat mannequinns will change society's ideal of the perfect figure.

Personally, full-figure stores have always had full-figure mannequinns. Granted, this one is a bit rounder than the ones at Lane Bryant, but this concept isn't unheard of. I find that no one seemed to care until attention was brought to it.
    I don't know ... She said she wouldn't have lost weight if she saw full-figured mannequins.

Regardless, they DO belong in plus-sized stores and in plus-sized sections of department stores. I see no issue with this. It isn't saying "this is healthy." It's just saying "these clothes look like this on larger bodies." And the people shopping in those places already have larger bodies that they, well, need to dress!

I'll have to take your word on Lane Bryant. I never paid much attention to the mannequins there, but I'll have to look closer next time I'm at the mall! lol
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Wait, that bish has a thigh gap, and I don't? Whatever is this world coming to. :huh:
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree with this comment: "It's like the person who made this has never seen a fat person before."

The proportions are really weird. I think they could have done better by their plus sized clients if they made a model that actually LOOKS like human rather than some amalgamation of body parts.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That is one creepy looking manniquin. I can't believe the overweight class in the 'States is up to 70%!!!! How can people argue that being 'politically correct will make it the new normal so they better not' when it already is the new normal! Hello, 70% is the VAST majority!

Also, personally insulted that they use the stat that a size 14 is the average for women's clothes so aren't we all huge. I'm a size 14 and was confirmed at the gym the other day to be NORMAL BMI and NORMAL BF%.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Why can't you be fat and healthy? At my biggest, my blood pressure was normal, so was my sugar, my cholesterol (both types)and everything else that people look at to deem you "healthy." Just because my BMI was off the charts didn't mean my body was "sick." I didn't start losing weight because I was unhealthy. I just got tired of being fat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the issue here except that this one is just proportioned poorly. People who carry extra weight carry it all over (in their arms, legs, face, neck) not just in their torso . . . so I'm going to say yes everything should be larger to look more proportionate. Saying that someone who is obese has the same size head as someone who is not is ridiculous. Let's talk identical twins (to take some complexity out of the situation), one healthy one obese: Yes, they have the same exact size skull but saying that they also have the same size head is like saying that just because they have the same size femur the have the same size thigh, or because they have the same size pelvis they have the same size hips (or because they have the same size spine and rib cage they have the same size neck or toros), that's just pure silliness.

Plus size stores (like Lane Bryant) use plus size models and plus size mannequins, so what? Being offended by the size of a mannequin is ridiculous.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Ps Fat doesn't equal unhealthy kthxbai.

Ummmm, yes, it does.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    That is one creepy looking manniquin. I can't believe the overweight class in the 'States is up to 70%!!!! How can people argue that being 'politically correct will make it the new normal so they better not' when it already is the new normal! Hello, 70% is the VAST majority!

Also, personally insulted that they use the stat that a size 14 is the average for women's clothes so aren't we all huge. I'm a size 14 and was confirmed at the gym the other day to be NORMAL BMI and NORMAL BF%.

your a canadian size 14, probably a 12 or 13 now, let's be honest...

that is MUCH smaller then an american 14 most of the time.

also: what is the world coming to when a "news" article's main source is reddit comments? i like reddit, there is a lot of funny stuff on there, and the paleo group is pretty cool. but it's not a news source.

also also: why did they put small mannequin hands on it?? that looks weirder then the miniature head to me.