How to get over the hill!!

Options

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Every website I have visited and have tested the BMI calculator has said that I would have a BMI of 19 if I were 108lbs. 19 is in the healthy weight range.

I haven't asked about a quick and easy fix, I've asked how to get over my stall. Just because I don't have a larger frame to begin with doesn't mean that I am not allowed to lose weight. Every one has body issues. Regardless of size to begin with. I am not happy with the way I look now, I've tried to be but I cannot.

Thank you for the compliments everyone, however I don't agree. No, I don't think I'm fat, however I do feel like there are parts of my body that I am not happy with. Everyone looks good in clothes, it's underneath the clothes that I am concerned about. I know you cannot target fat loss, hence being on a diet. I am still a size 10 (Trousers) and an 8 (Tops) I don't want to drop a dress size.

I am not willing to move my goal as anything I set out to do, I acheive. As soon as I hit 108lbs, I will post pics and show you all that I am not 'unhealthy or underweight'

Just go to the gym and lift some weights and eat more. Thats the only way your really going to change your body. You will not change it hardly at all by losing 6 lbs. You will lose muscle with the fat and further your problems. Live in denial if you want, but that 6 lbs will do nothing for you. You need to add muscle mass and slowly reduce body fat.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    first, quit going by BMI to set your goal weight. It is not useful for that. Read up on it a little. Doctors use it because it comes with a nice pretty chart and makes them not have to think...

There are a lot of ways to set your goal weight, but picking a weight because you like the "sound" of it, doesn't really make sense. If you like the sound of 108, just tell people you weigh 108 - I promise that no one will ever challenge you on it when you weight 114 and whip out a scale and make you stand on it!

Do you know what your percent body fat is right now? Body composition is a much better way to set a goal than just picking a number.

It could be that you are already at a fairly low body fat percentage, so losing more fat isn't necessary. You might just need to build some muscle to look the way you want.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hiya

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

I am just under 5'4" and I'm hopeful I will be able to get to 140 pounds, 10 stone sounds great to me.

I don't intend to sound discouraging in any way, however, 7 stone 7 pounds for someone over in inch taller than me sounds skinny. Skinny in an unhealthy way.

I used the link above for a calculation, it had your height/goal weight well into the underweight category, believe me when I say I'm not being bitter because I'm still fat, I'm working on that in a healthy way, hopefully with realistic goals. Please just take this how it is meant, in a caring way, I don't want you to become poorly forcing yourself towards a fairly drastic goal.
  • sammie190489
    Options
    Every website I have visited and have tested the BMI calculator has said that I would have a BMI of 19 if I were 108lbs. 19 is in the healthy weight range.

I haven't asked about a quick and easy fix, I've asked how to get over my stall. Just because I don't have a larger frame to begin with doesn't mean that I am not allowed to lose weight. Every one has body issues. Regardless of size to begin with. I am not happy with the way I look now, I've tried to be but I cannot.

Thank you for the compliments everyone, however I don't agree. No, I don't think I'm fat, however I do feel like there are parts of my body that I am not happy with. Everyone looks good in clothes, it's underneath the clothes that I am concerned about. I know you cannot target fat loss, hence being on a diet. I am still a size 10 (Trousers) and an 8 (Tops) I don't want to drop a dress size.

I am not willing to move my goal as anything I set out to do, I acheive. As soon as I hit 108lbs, I will post pics and show you all that I am not 'unhealthy or underweight'

Just go to the gym and lift some weights and eat more. Thats the only way your really going to change your body. You will not change it hardly at all by losing 6 lbs. You will lose muscle with the fat and further your problems. Live in denial if you want, but that 6 lbs will do nothing for you. You need to add muscle mass and slowly reduce body fat.

I am not in denial. I am purely trying to make myself happy. I am confused as to why that is so hard to understand. I run and exercise at home with weights etc. And you might not think 6lbs will make a difference, but it sure will to me. Everyone has a goal, I will acheive mine. That's what I set it for.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy with what you see in the mirror in your undies, it's time to look into body recomposition, not weight loss.

Ignore the scale, eat well, lift heavy weights. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/no-weight-loss-no-progress-448694

When I was young (up to my early 20s), I was under 110 pounds at 5'5. As an adult, that's no longer a realistic goal for me. Maturing means an increase in lean body mass and changes to your body shape.... what was once a comfortable weight may no longer be possible.

I'm currently 135 at 40 years old, and able to fit into clothes I wore as a teenager at 110 pounds. The scale is the worst possible tool to gauge your progress and self-worth.

Here's some of my old clothes then and now: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/realistic-goals-and-expectations-449258
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I just used the BMI calc on this site and it says 108 and 5'5 is an 18, which is UNDERWEIGHT. To be normal, you should be at least 111. So 114 is a great weight.

If you don't like the way your body looks, work out more, lift heavy things, do pilates, but EAT AT MAINTENANCE. Build muscle.

I'm not even sure why you bothered posted this if you are going to defend yourself against everyone that is saying to stop losing?
  • sammie190489
    Options
    first, quit going by BMI to set your goal weight. It is not useful for that. Read up on it a little. Doctors use it because it comes with a nice pretty chart and makes them not have to think...

There are a lot of ways to set your goal weight, but picking a weight because you like the "sound" of it, doesn't really make sense. If you like the sound of 108, just tell people you weigh 108 - I promise that no one will ever challenge you on it when you weight 114 and whip out a scale and make you stand on it!

Do you know what your percent body fat is right now? Body composition is a much better way to set a goal than just picking a number.

It could be that you are already at a fairly low body fat percentage, so losing more fat isn't necessary. You might just need to build some muscle to look the way you want.

I don't know what my body fat is at the moment, I've not measured it since starting my diet again (I had a month off due to a bereavement in the family) However, I have located my tape measure and will be trying to figure out it later! I'll post the results when I find them out!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm pretty sure this forum is meant to be a motivational one, not a demeaning one?!

My doctor has said that I am perfectly healthy. Maybe brit doctors are different to ones in the USA but mine has said I can comfortably afford to be 108lbs.

I'm not some young girl who wants to be really skinny. I'm a young woman who wants to feel good about herself and boost her self esteem. I am confused as to why this is so wrong?

I have checked numerous BMI calculators and they all say I will be in a healthy weight range at 108lbs.

FYI - I am not undereating. I eat more now than I do when I'm not on a diet!
    People not encouraging you to become underweight is not "demeaning". Nobody should be motivating you to achieve unhealthy goals. Maybe your doctor mis-spoke, maybe they don't have your correct height, maybe you mis-typed your height above... but 108 lbs is an unhealthy weight for someone who is 5' 5" (and a bit). Check those BMI calculators again.

Honestly, if what you are really trying to do is improve your self-esteem, then chasing an arbitrary number on the scale because you "prefer the way it sounds" is not going to give you that.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy with what you see in the mirror in your undies, it's time to look into body recomposition, not weight loss.

Ignore the scale, eat well, lift heavy weights. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/no-weight-loss-no-progress-448694

When I was young (up to my early 20s), I was under 110 pounds at 5'5. As an adult, that's no longer a realistic goal for me. Maturing means an increase in lean body mass and changes to your body shape.... what was once a comfortable weight may no longer be possible.

I'm currently 135 at 40 years old, and able to fit into clothes I wore as a teenager at 110 pounds. The scale is the worst possible tool to gauge your progress and self-worth.

Here's some of my old clothes then and now: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/realistic-goals-and-expectations-449258

This all day. :drinker:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Wait...are you five feet, five inches "and a bit" OR five feet and half an inch "and a bit?" Because if you are just over five feet tall, then 108 pounds is realistic. If you are 5'5", please consider that you may be trying to weigh too little. No one is trying to be mean or judgmental...we are concerned for your health.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight for 5'5 (which is what I am) is no less than 120. I'm not being demeaning or anything... but, I just care about people being healthy.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Also, Lorina knows what she is talking about!! :)
  • Jane0322
    Jane0322 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie, I've read some of the responses to your post and I can understand how you may feel that people are being crtical of your desire to be less weight then you already are, but I really feel that that most people here on MFP are really good people just trying to help each other on their weight loss journey. This is your life and you have to take responsiblity for it and the rewards or consquences your choices bring. I will tell you that I know someone that use to be a very heavy teen when she reached her 20's she decided to lose a lot of weight, and at one point she reached a healthy weight and looked great to everyone around her, but in her eyes when she looked in the mirror she was still to heavy so she started to excersize excessively, which helped her firm up and lose inches but also would increase her appetite so she began to purge her food, and started down the road to binging and purging. She now has everyone who loves her worried that her life is at risk because she is to thin and can't see it. She has lost a healthy mind body connection. I'm not saying you are at this point, or will ever be, but I just want to put a fair warning out to you to be realistic. This young lady didn't plan to get to this point either when she was at or about a healthy ideal weight but she thought just a few pounds more would be better but she was never satisfied it was always a few more pounds. I am glad that you are seeing a doctor I just hope when he tells you enough is enough and it's time to go to maintance you will listen. I wish you good health and happiness. :flowerforyou:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are putting your weight in correctly in the BMI calculators.? BBC one makes you underweight at 108lbs.
    108lbs = 7stone 10lb

8 stone 2lbs (114lb) is the very bottom of normal range even rounding height down to 5'5"

OK BMI isn't a great tool as people's build differ enormously but....
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 5 abd a bit (The bit counts!)

I just prefer the sound of 108 and feel it would make me feel better! I originally wanted to get to 103lbs but upped it a while ago
    If you're 5' 5", that's 1m 65cm. If you're 114lb, that's 51.7kg. I make your BMI 19. If you get down to 108lb, your BMI will be 18. Most of us on here would not see you as needing to lose ANY more weight.
  • sammie190489
    Options
    I know you are all trying to be helpful and tell me when I should and shouldn't stop. Some of the messages posted here today honestly felt like I was being made out to be an immature girl with a desire to be super skinny.

That is not the case. I just want to feel happy. Many of you have said that "Losing 6lbs won't make a difference and you shouldn't focus on the numbers etc" but isn't that what the goal is for? Isn't that the whole point of setting a target? To achieve it and be proud of yourself for doing so?

Life is about trial and error. If when I reach 108lbs, I think I look too skinny, I'll make a change and do something about it. But remember, lots of you have said 6lbs won't make a difference.

On my diet, I've never felt better. I have bucket loads of energy, I'm happier than I was before and I don't feel sluggish or lethargic. Bonus. The minute that changes, I'll stop losing and find a sustainable weight where I feel comfortable within myself.

I posted the original comment asking for advice on how to get over a stall, and whilst a lot of the comments I've found to be harsh (I'm not criticising anyone for voicing their opinion, I'm merely saying the way the posts read to me) a lot of you have said complimentary things about my shape etc. Thank you for that, I hope to agree with you when I've lost a few more pounds.
  • sammie190489
    Options

I've just tested and it says my body fat percentage is 31%
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OP STOP ARGUING WITH PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO CHANGE YOUR GOAL AND READ THIS POST!

6 lbs isn't going to do squat to your size... if you're wanting to see changes in body composition, you can do that with or without l losing weight but weightlifting does wonders for body composition.

Also, Lorina knows what she is talking about!! :)
  • PamelaDe1323
    PamelaDe1323 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm pretty sure this forum is meant to be a motivational one, not a demeaning one?!

My doctor has said that I am perfectly healthy. Maybe brit doctors are different to ones in the USA but mine has said I can comfortably afford to be 108lbs.

I'm not some young girl who wants to be really skinny. I'm a young woman who wants to feel good about herself and boost her self esteem. I am confused as to why this is so wrong?

I have checked numerous BMI calculators and they all say I will be in a healthy weight range at 108lbs.

FYI - I am not undereating. I eat more now than I do when I'm not on a diet!

I hear ya girl! are you doing the same workouts everyday? maybe try switching it up so work other muscles and other parts of your body, like try running up a hill backwards ( i know youll look weird) but it works a whole new range of muscles. dont eat less, or workout more, just increase your weights and try something new.

You'll be at your goal weight in no time :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think 6 lbs will make a difference to what you look like (and not in a good way), I don't think it will make a difference to how good you feel about yourself. I know that sounds harsh, but that's my opinion. I'm not telling you that to be horrible, but out of genuine concern. Life certainly is about trial and error, but when large numbers of people are trying to give you advice (and some of them have likely been in your position themselves) it would be foolish to completely disregard it out of hand.

Bearing in mind online calculators of body fat percentage can be very inaccurate, if you really are 31% then losing more "weight" still isn't the answer. You would be better off focusing on body recomposition with strength training. It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up though, regardless of what anyone here says.