How to get over the hill!!

Options
13»

Replies

• sammie190489
    Options
    OP STOP ARGUING WITH PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO CHANGE YOUR GOAL AND READ THIS POST!

6 lbs isn't going to do squat to your size... if you're wanting to see changes in body composition, you can do that with or without l losing weight but weightlifting does wonders for body composition.
    If you're not happy with what you see in the mirror in your undies, it's time to look into body recomposition, not weight loss.

Ignore the scale, eat well, lift heavy weights. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/no-weight-loss-no-progress-448694

When I was young (up to my early 20s), I was under 110 pounds at 5'5. As an adult, that's no longer a realistic goal for me. Maturing means an increase in lean body mass and changes to your body shape.... what was once a comfortable weight may no longer be possible.

I'm currently 135 at 40 years old, and able to fit into clothes I wore as a teenager at 110 pounds. The scale is the worst possible tool to gauge your progress and self-worth.

Here's some of my old clothes then and now: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/realistic-goals-and-expectations-449258

Also, Lorina knows what she is talking about!! :)

I have read it. And yes she looks great.
  • sammie190489
    Options
    Wow, I'm pretty sure this forum is meant to be a motivational one, not a demeaning one?!

My doctor has said that I am perfectly healthy. Maybe brit doctors are different to ones in the USA but mine has said I can comfortably afford to be 108lbs.

I'm not some young girl who wants to be really skinny. I'm a young woman who wants to feel good about herself and boost her self esteem. I am confused as to why this is so wrong?

I have checked numerous BMI calculators and they all say I will be in a healthy weight range at 108lbs.

FYI - I am not undereating. I eat more now than I do when I'm not on a diet!

I hear ya girl! are you doing the same workouts everyday? maybe try switching it up so work other muscles and other parts of your body, like try running up a hill backwards ( i know youll look weird) but it works a whole new range of muscles. dont eat less, or workout more, just increase your weights and try something new.

You'll be at your goal weight in no time :smile:

I alternate what exercises I do daily to give those muscles time to repair! I'm clumsy as heck but I certainly will give the backward running a go! There's a deserted hill right behind my house =) I've also asked for a heavier weight set for Christmas so I'm wishing time would speed up a bit!
  • sammie190489
    Options
    I think 6 lbs will make a difference to what you look like (and not in a good way), I don't think it will make a difference to how good you feel about yourself. I know that sounds harsh, but that's my opinion. I'm not telling you that to be horrible, but out of genuine concern. Life certainly is about trial and error, but when large numbers of people are trying to give you advice (and some of them have likely been in your position themselves) it would be foolish to completely disregard it out of hand.

Bearing in mind online calculators of body fat percentage can be very inaccurate, if you really are 31% then losing more "weight" still isn't the answer. You would be better off focusing on body recomposition with strength training. It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up though, regardless of what anyone here says.

I'm not disregarding the comments at all. I'm taking them all on board and reading everything everyone sense. Call me stubborn, but I have to see it for myself. I have to see that I 'might' look too skinny in order to realise that that weight 'may' not be a good idea.

Yes, I've tried 5 BMR calculators and they all came out with a different answer! 1 underweight, 3 average and 1 overweight!!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If this is true, then you need to decrease your body fat %, not necessarily your weight. You keep saying that getting to 108 will make you feel better, but even IF you were to lose 6 pounds of actual fat, your body fat% would still be about 27%. Since most weight loss isn't 100% fat loss you will probably actually only change your body fat % by 1 or 2% at most, and if you lose too much lbm, you could actually INCREASE your body fat %, which would probably make you even more unhappy about your body.

If your body fat % is truly 31, then you just need to lose fat and gain muscle and you will probably be much happier with your body than you would be by simply getting to 108. If your weight is static with what you are currently eating, instead of trying to cut more calories or anything, add more strength training to your routines and take your measurements and see where that takes you. If you continue eating the same number of calories, you won't likely see huge strength gains, but a little bit might help you be happier with your body and might actually make you more open to actually doing as other posters have suggested and work on gaining healthy weight.

If you still don't want to listen to what everyone else has to suggest and you insist on trying to get to 108, then you need to be weighing and recording (not just measuring) every single bite you eat and you will probably need to up your exercise to create a bigger deficit. In the end, though, will you stop at 108 if you get there? You've lost a good amount of weight; did you not think at one point if I get to 114 I'll be happy and then get there and realize it didn't go anything for you? Trying to find happiness in the scale can lead you down a dangerous path.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think 6 lbs will make a difference to what you look like (and not in a good way), I don't think it will make a difference to how good you feel about yourself. I know that sounds harsh, but that's my opinion. I'm not telling you that to be horrible, but out of genuine concern. Life certainly is about trial and error, but when large numbers of people are trying to give you advice (and some of them have likely been in your position themselves) it would be foolish to completely disregard it out of hand.

Bearing in mind online calculators of body fat percentage can be very inaccurate, if you really are 31% then losing more "weight" still isn't the answer. You would be better off focusing on body recomposition with strength training. It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up though, regardless of what anyone here says.

Exactly, it doesn't matter what advice she gets, if it doesn't fall in with her way of thinking then it's us being 'demeaning'. You go ahead and lose that 6lbs, no doubt a good amount of it will be muscle too, and if you are 100% happy with your body after seeing that number on the scale I will sincerely apologise and beg forgiveness. I highly doubt that will happen though. You need to see someone about your body image issues, that is plain to see. I wish you good luck with whatever course you follow. No harm or ill feeling was intended at all, I genuinely wish you all the best. I just wish you would heed people's advice as I know from experience myself the majority of people on here will give you fantastic, honest and well meaning opinions. It';s up to you to do with them what you will though I suppose.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy with what you see in the mirror in your undies, it's time to look into body recomposition, not weight loss.

Ignore the scale, eat well, lift heavy weights. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/no-weight-loss-no-progress-448694

When I was young (up to my early 20s), I was under 110 pounds at 5'5. As an adult, that's no longer a realistic goal for me. Maturing means an increase in lean body mass and changes to your body shape.... what was once a comfortable weight may no longer be possible.

I'm currently 135 at 40 years old, and able to fit into clothes I wore as a teenager at 110 pounds. The scale is the worst possible tool to gauge your progress and self-worth.

Here's some of my old clothes then and now: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/realistic-goals-and-expectations-449258

Listen to this, she knows her stuff

I know a lot of the people here are so ready to jump down your throat (yeesh). But I do think you need to reevaluate your goals some. Are you not happy with how you look? I can guarantee, you can weigh what you weigh now (or weigh more), and look more fit. It all comes down to your body fat percentage

You're not maintaining/building muscle, I bet. And that could be because of a couple things. Maybe you're not eating enough (specifically, not getting enough protein). Or, you're not doing enough strength training. Most likely, it's both. I'll tell you right now, I'm 5'6" and at 143 pounds, my body fat percentage is around 28%. Not great, but that still tells me I have proportionally a significantly larger amount of muscle than you do, even at my much higher weight

Pretty sure if you just continue what you're doing, you'll continue to lose what muscle you have along with a little of the remaining fat. And at 108 pounds, you still won't look how you want. There's lots of good advice in here (even if it's hidden behind the angry folk) - think about it. You seem way too worried about the scale, when it doesn't even matter
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I'm not disregarding the comments at all. I'm taking them all on board and reading everything everyone sense. Call me stubborn, but I have to see it for myself. I have to see that I 'might' look too skinny in order to realise that that weight 'may' not be a good idea.

Yes, I've tried 5 BMR calculators and they all came out with a different answer! 1 underweight, 3 average and 1 overweight!!

Honestly, I don't think you'll look too skinny in your eyes...I think you'll still look fat at 108 and be unhappy because you are most likely going to have to lose LBM to get where you want to be and your body fat % won't improve, which is what is making you unhappy. By your body fat %, you are very close to being overweight even though by BMI you are very close to being underweight. Body fat % is a much better indicator of your health, and unless you find a way to truly lose 6 lbs of fat and no muscle, you are still going to be jiggly where you don't want to be jiggly, if not more so.
  • jesz124
    Options

I know a lot of the people here are so ready to jump down your throat (yeesh). But I do think you need to reevaluate your goals some. Are you not happy with how you look? I can guarantee, you can weigh what you weigh now (or weigh more), and look more fit. It all comes down to your body fat percentage

You're not maintaining/building muscle, I bet. And that could be because of a couple things. Maybe you're not eating enough (specifically, not getting enough protein). Or, you're not doing enough strength training. Most likely, it's both. I'll tell you right now, I'm 5'6" and at 143 pounds, my body fat percentage is around 28%. Not great, but that still tells me I have proportionally a significantly larger amount of muscle than you do, even at my much higher weight

Pretty sure if you just continue what you're doing, you'll continue to lose what muscle you have along with a little of the remaining fat. And at 108 pounds, you still won't look how you want. There's lots of good advice in here (even if it's hidden behind the angry folk) - think about it. You seem way too worried about the scale, when it doesn't even matter

I don't see any angry posts on this thread, just people trying to make the OP see herself in our eyes, and maybe re-think her goals. It takes a hell of a lot more than an internet post to make me angry :laugh:
  • sammie190489
    Options

I don't see any angry posts on this thread, just people trying to make the OP see herself in our eyes, and maybe re-think her goals. It takes a hell of a lot more than an internet post to make me angry :laugh:

Honesty is the best policy right? Well you're the one who has made me angry today. Your comments are sarcastic and I didn't appreciate them. By all means, voice your opinion but there is no need to do it in the way you have.

Read your posts back and see how you'd feel if they were written to you. You say you didn't mean any harm by them,
    Possibly try wording your posts different in future as that's the way they have come across to both me and my colleagues who I read them out to.

I'm not starting an arguement. I do not care for them. You voiced your opinion, I'm doing the same.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Every website I have visited and have tested the BMI calculator has said that I would have a BMI of 19 if I were 108lbs. 19 is in the healthy weight range.

I haven't asked about a quick and easy fix, I've asked how to get over my stall. Just because I don't have a larger frame to begin with doesn't mean that I am not allowed to lose weight. Every one has body issues. Regardless of size to begin with. I am not happy with the way I look now, I've tried to be but I cannot.

Thank you for the compliments everyone, however I don't agree. No, I don't think I'm fat, however I do feel like there are parts of my body that I am not happy with. Everyone looks good in clothes, it's underneath the clothes that I am concerned about. I know you cannot target fat loss, hence being on a diet. I am still a size 10 (Trousers) and an 8 (Tops) I don't want to drop a dress size.

I am not willing to move my goal as anything I set out to do, I acheive. As soon as I hit 108lbs, I will post pics and show you all that I am not 'unhealthy or underweight'

Just go to the gym and lift some weights and eat more. Thats the only way your really going to change your body. You will not change it hardly at all by losing 6 lbs. You will lose muscle with the fat and further your problems. Live in denial if you want, but that 6 lbs will do nothing for you. You need to add muscle mass and slowly reduce body fat.
    I agree with this.
  • jesz124
    Options

Honesty is the best policy right? Well you're the one who has made me angry today. Your comments are sarcastic and I didn't appreciate them. By all means, voice your opinion but there is no need to do it in the way you have.

Read your posts back and see how you'd feel if they were written to you. You say you didn't mean any harm by them,
    Possibly try wording your posts different in future as that's the way they have come across to both me and my colleagues who I read them out to.

I'm not starting an arguement. I do not care for them. You voiced your opinion, I'm doing the same.

I think you need to get out a bit more, you seem to worry far too much about things. Internet and body wise. You don't like my opinion and many other peoples, tough. Don't post on the internet then. Suck it up princess, you asked a dumb question and you got replies you didn't like. Cry me a river.
  • sammie190489
    Options

I think you need to get out a bit more, you seem to worry far too much about things. Internet and body wise.

I think you need to be a bit more sensitive and not so hard. And yes, I do worry about my body. Hence the diet and hence being on here. That's the whole point!

Well aren't you a lovely human being eh? Seems like you look for arguments on here given some of your recent posts on other threads. Don't try and belittle me, it won't work, sweetheart.
  • jesz124
    Options

I think you need to get out a bit more, you seem to worry far too much about things. Internet and body wise.

I think you need to be a bit more sensitive and not so hard. And yes, I do worry about my body. Hence the diet and hence being on here. That's the whole point!

Oh behave it's the net, not fluffy princess land. You asked advice you got it.
  • sammie190489
    Options

You're actually quite funny when you look at your comments another way. Bless.
  • PamelaDe1323
    PamelaDe1323 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Wow your rude, if she wants to get to a certain weight to feel good, let her. If you dont like it, voice your opinoin and leave. This isnt your choice.
  • jesz124
    Options

You're actually quite funny when you look at your comments another way. Bless.

lol someone wants the last word don't they.....your age is showing now. Unfortunately I have real life things to do, though I would love to stay here all night and play back and forth with you. Good luck with your goals, hopefully you will like what you see in the mirror one day. Feel free to reply but I won't be back to read this thread again, it's gone way past the point of reasonable maturity for me now thank you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... if you truly are at ~30% body fat, that means your lean mass (bones, muscle, organs, etc.) is only about 80 pounds. That's really low. At my skinniest, mine was about 90-ish, and it's currently about 105-110.

I'm not saying six pounds can't make a difference. I know it can because there's only 6 pounds difference in the two pics in my profile. But that was about a year and a half of hard work, too. Just dropping six pounds alone didn't make that much of a difference in my size or how I looked. It wasn't until I started strength training that my body really started transforming.

You're young, yes, but no so young that you shouldn't be thinking of long term goals and health. Honest opinion of someone who's been at the lower end of BMI, the higher end and the middle of it all... I think going through a bulk cycle to put on extra lean mass, then a cut cycle to get rid of excess fat, would do you a world of good. The more lean mass you have, the leaner you'll look, and the easier it will be to maintain your weight once it's lost.

I mean, I thought I'd have to get to 120 pounds to be the size I was 10 years ago. I'm 15 pounds heavier than that now. I don't give a flip... no one sees the number on the scale but me. I'd rather look lighter and weigh more than the other way around!

We all want to look our best - right now! - but weight loss and body recomp is like making omelets. You gotta crack some eggs and make a mess before it gets better.
  • jesz124
    Options

Wow your rude, if she wants to get to a certain weight to feel good, let her. If you dont like it, voice your opinoin and leave. This isnt your choice.

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... if you truly are at ~30% body fat, that means your lean mass (bones, muscle, organs, etc.) is only about 80 pounds. That's really low. At my skinniest, mine was about 90-ish, and it's currently about 105-110.

I'm not saying six pounds can't make a difference. I know it can because there's only 6 pounds difference in the two pics in my profile. But that was about a year and a half of hard work, too. Just dropping six pounds alone didn't make that much of a difference in my size or how I looked. It wasn't until I started strength training that my body really started transforming.

You're young, yes, but no so young that you shouldn't be thinking of long term goals and health. Honest opinion of someone who's been at the lower end of BMI, the higher end and the middle of it all... I think going through a bulk cycle to put on extra lean mass, then a cut cycle to get rid of excess fat, would do you a world of good. The more lean mass you have, the leaner you'll look, and the easier it will be to maintain your weight once it's lost.

I mean, I thought I'd have to get to 120 pounds to be the size I was 10 years ago. I'm 15 pounds heavier than that now. I don't give a flip... no one sees the number on the scale but me. I'd rather look lighter and weigh more than the other way around!

We all want to look our best - right now! - but weight loss and body recomp is like making omelets. You gotta crack some eggs and make a mess before it gets better.

This is the best - ignore the rest :)

Haha, too much drama for me around these parts
  • sammie190489
    Options
    Well this has gotten out of hand!!

Thanks for all the comments guys and girls, truly appreciated and I will take each and everyone (Well some excluded) on board and see what I can do!

Good luck to you all on your quest to lose weight =)

TTFN.