Questions for cold weather runners

Options
First, do you find yourself quite a bit slower in the cold? I've been getting consistently slower and was trying to decide if its the cold or fatigue (I've been increasing distance a bit lately)

And secondly, HOW do you warm up after your run? I'm ok while I'm running but then just freeze the rest of the night. Brrrrr!!!

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't know about slower, but I can definitely run farther. I live in Georgia where they have a lot of trees, so I can breathe better in cold weather (though i hate cold weather). I am freezing when i am finished too, i just run to my car and turn the heat on.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Warm up with stretches and a walk... Don't get much slower.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't think Georgia gets that cold, does it? It's been in the 30's here lately and will get down to the 10s or 20s soon.
  • slavenberg
    slavenberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily run slower in the cold, but I do find that it takes me longer to find a rhythm with my breathing. The cold is a shock on my mouth, throat and lungs - at first and annoys me for the first 2 miles (maybe). Beyond that, I am settled and in it to win it. There are days when I run for time and there are other days where I just run to run. I find that helps me mentally to not get stuck on a number (i.e. pace) when it is supposed to be a run for fun. When I go for time, then I am serious and focused. I have to balance the two, otherwise I will fixate and go crazy. Would it help you to set a goal like that? Or alternate your "objectives" for that day's run so you don't get into a rut?

When I am done with a run, I make sure to stretch, then get out of the sweaty layers and shower. Most times after that I am back in my PJs (which have been warming up in the dryer) and I crawl into bed or on the couch. Sometimes I wear socks if my feet are still cold, but I don't really like to sleep in socks.

Good luck ~
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just started running a few months ago, currently only run 5k 3 x a week and then mostly do a brisk walk with the dog for about 2 or 2 1/4 mile after I finish (energetic dog, she did the first 4 weeks of the C25K with me without problems but during week 5 she had trouble at the end, she is older, 9 or maybe close to 10 years old so now I run, walk the last block home, get her and we walk at a roughly 3.5 mile pace, sometimes a wee bit faster). I live in WI, some days run in 25 degree temp, occasionally wind to go with the cold :tongue: I start out feeling chilly, usually comfy up to pretty warm during the run and OK for the walk as long as I don't slow down too much. It helps me to take a hot shower after and most days after run and shower I'll go do 1 hr Yoga. That combination seems to keep me from havong sore legs and feeling chilled. I've noticed that my calves feel pretty sore and I seem to feel chilled and stiff in the evening if I skip the dog walk and/or Yoga. So I try to get at least one, best both exercises in after my run......Drawback is that I often end up in Yoga class at 8 pm......... Still worth it though! Don't know if this would work for you?
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't find that I run slower but I definitely feel heavier (probably all the extra layers). Breathing is easier than running in the thicker summer air so it kind of evens out.

As for the cold ... maybe a hot shower? I'm always sweating like a pig after I'm done so staying warm is not an issue.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I tend to run faster in the cold, and getting cold after a run is sometimes an issue after a really long run (1.5 hours plus), but I take a long hot shower and dress warm afterwards and I am fine. Make sure I blow dry my hair at least some - because it is hard to warm up with wet hair!

You may be running slower because you are increasing distance. Your pace will catch up eventually.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am freezing all the time anyway so I usually stop running once it gets cold!!! I would be running with heat packs ;P It gets below zero here and I would be frozen to the side of a house ;P
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm slower in the cold - the extra layers are constricting - but time-wise it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference as I think it does, other than the additional time it takes to get out the door. I have Raynauds, so I have to be sure to be smart about what I wear and about warming up immediately afterwards - so when I'm done I'll do a quick stretch, shower and get into warm clothes and then finish stretching.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how cold you are talking. I prefer cold to hot and humid and usually have better times. I layer and wear hat and gloves. But I'm talking 20s and 30s Farenheit. Below 20 it might be painful breathing.

Once I am done with my run I get out of my sweaty clothes and take a hot shower and bundle up in fleeces and compression socks.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the colder weather (around 25-35 F). I tend to run farther and a little faster. And what warms me up is a nice hot shower and a cup of hot steamy coffee!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It hasn't gotten too cold here yet (I don't think it has been below 40) but I find that I'm fastest around 50. If nothing else, I'm slow and cold for the first few miles, readjusting clothing as I warm up, etc. As for recovery- been doing ice baths after long runs, regardless of weather. Brrrr....
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    More than likely just fatigue from increased mileage. I find that I run faster in cooler weather. I've also found that as my weekly mileage increases (or the intensity of my workouts increases), the overall pace of my easy runs gets slower. No worries though, it's still building aerobic fitness.
  • KristenF101
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but if I'm a bit chilly on my run, I move faster. Once I start to get hot, I slow down a touch.

In terms of warming back up after a run, I get under a hot shower. Once I'm done, I drink some herbal tea. It's the only thing I've been able to do to keep myself comfortable after a run.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am much slower AND I am chilly all night too! I put on my warm PJ's after my shower and cozy in with thick socks on...lol
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't find that I'm running slower but it does seem to take more of an effort. Legs feel heavier when starting out. We're already running in temps hovering around -12C up here. Don't really feel the cold (except on the face) if you dress in layers. Actually I'm almost over warm by the time my run is over.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love the cooler weather and am much faster than in the hot summer months. Of course I'm in California, so my cold isn't the same as your cold! :tongue: Coldest run so far this year has been in the 40's, and I still loved it. We usually hit the 30's in the early mornings, so I had to bundle up when I first started running last January, but the layers didn't bother me. Haven't had to even wear a beanie or my running tights yet this season.

As for warming up after a run - I do get cold when I get home and start to cool down, but I'm a morning runner, so I eat a hot breakfast & drink hot coffee, get a hot shower, and if I'm still cold, blow drying my hair usually does the trick!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I definitely run faster, the more miserable the conditions the faster I want to be done! haha. I've found that I'm not cold at the end of the run. My first mile might be a little chilly but I've usually build up a decent amount of heat by the time I'm done.

This never fails me either: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html well dangit this link is broken. I'll put up the "What To Wear" site as soon as I find it.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I went for my first outdoor run in over a month this past weekend when it was about 0 degrees Celsius (I've been a baby and have been running on the treadmill instead because I hate the cold!) and I was about 20 seconds slower than my last outdoor run when it was about 10 degrees warmer. I changed into warm clothes and had a cup of tea when I got home.