Can't eat enough to reach my calorie goal?

Options
According to this site, and the instruction I've had with dieticians in the past, I apparently don't consume enough calories to reach my goal. My goal is 1200, and before putting in my exercise and everything, I had about 255 calories left to consume. After exercise stuff, I now have 575 calories left. But I'm not hungry. It's not hard for me to satisfy my hunger, and then there's a very fine line between content and stuffed for me. So this 'starvation mode' thing is bad, but I don't want to keep eating just to meet that goal if I'm not hungry... What do I do?

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Eat food with more calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    According to this site, and the instruction I've had with dieticians in the past, I apparently don't consume enough calories to reach my goal. My goal is 1200, and before putting in my exercise and everything, I had about 255 calories left to consume. After exercise stuff, I now have 575 calories left. But I'm not hungry. It's not hard for me to satisfy my hunger, and then there's a very fine line between content and stuffed for me. So this 'starvation mode' thing is bad, but I don't want to keep eating just to meet that goal if I'm not hungry... What do I do?

You feeling full, and your body being fully fed, or 2 totally separate things.

Despite your body perhaps not craving and screaming at you in some manner for more water - do you recognize the benefit of drinking enough water?

Most people's body's are not telling them to eat more of certain vitamins or minerals when they run low, until such time as the effects of being low are actually felt. But do you recognize the benefit of eating nourishing foods?

Just because you have learned to suppress your appetite from probably not eating enough and/or shrinking your stomach, doesn't mean it doesn't need the nourishment and/or the energy.

What would your body like to burn if it slept in bed all day deeply?
    MFP - Apps - BMR Tool on right.

You do more activity than that?

Eat a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating more than you burn makes you fat, and you likely have no idea what that upper figure is to cause that.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

which foods have calories?
  • cmcollins001
    Options

which foods have calories?

I'm not 100% sure but I hear things like peanuts, peanut butter, fruits, stuff like that.

Or, mix some sugar with some water and drink that.
  • CWK1000
    Options
    Try to eat faster so you can eat more before getting full.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ice-cream
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Just remember how to eat......it's the reason your here now, so it should still be fresh in your mind.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I burned 545 calories today running and had prelogged all my food and knew I'd have a ridiculously low net so I ate a double chocolate cake doughnut. Still hit all my macros and was also under on most of them and over on none. Other days I have pizza or something else special if I had a tough work out/high burn and am eating healthy foods otherwise. It's 100 percent mental that you can't eat enough calories. Reaching 1200 calories is easy it 3 meals a day with an average of 400 calories and that's not counting snacks at all. The reason you're not is because weather you're conscious of it or not you're trying to eat less because you think it'll lead to faster results, which maybe it would but it's going to be a hell of a lot harder to maintain. It's extremely easy to eat more calories. And I don't believe you have to eat back every single exercie calorie but if you're not even having a 1200 calorie intake then you have a problem

Some go to's for me if I'm really struggling is avacado, almonds, peanut butter, protein shake, ensure drink, full fat yogurt, cereal... anything you like eat it. if you stay within your macros you WILL lose and you will actually be able to maintain.

I ate 2000+ calories every day when I was on vacation and didn't really gain nor was I super bloated and it's BECAUSE I actually eat enough calories to keep my metabolism going so I don't blow up like a balloon on days when I cheat. That wasn't the case before when I was to want to have my net as close to zero as possible, it really stalled my weight loss because I gained any time I ate close to a normal amount.

Now there are still some days when my nets are on the lower side (in the 100's) but I do NOT make it a habit. I am a lot happier, healthier, more energy, more toned and my work outs have been a hell of a lot better as well.
  • drmerc
    Options
    peanut butter covered bacon dipped in chocolate is pretty calorie dense
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods, check out this link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28482-list-calorie-dense-foods/

Generally look for foods that are small in volume but big in calories and nutrients. nuts and nut butters, seeds, full fat dairy, Potatoes with skin, squash and carrots, avocados and bananas, meat and eggs. You could get empty calories easily also in drinks and sweets but that is not so healthy.
  • rolal
    rolal Posts: 7
    Options

Granola tends to have high calories per serving. Whole milk can get you quite a few calories without being too filling as well. Granola + whole milk for breakfast is one quick way to get calories.
  • cmcollins001
    Options

Now you're getting the hang of it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

5699936999772161_kCP8PXpM_c.jpg
  • chinoplata
    chinoplata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    there are days when i do the same thing. For example on days when I wake up late and go to sleep early. Everybody is different some people can run on less calories depending on how your metabolism is. There are phases when i only eat 1000 calories and not feel full due to all the high fiber foods I am eating. But if you're energy is low and you want more calories eat high dense food like avocados, nuts or add oil to all your foods. Good luck!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I hate to say it, but that really doesn't look like chocolate. >_<
  • TSivak
    TSivak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Almost all! Seriously??
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How did you ever get overweight if you can't make it to a measly 1200 per day???!!!!!! God I wish I had your problem!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It doesn't look very appetizing does it.

This looks better - peanut butter chocolate bacon cups

peanut-butter-bacon-cups-xl.jpg
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

It doesn't look very appetizing does it.

This looks better - peanut butter chocolate bacon cups

peanut-butter-bacon-cups-xl.jpg

Ahhhh much better! lol

Or.... Maple Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie, anyone?

WD-pie1-300x201.jpg
  • drmerc
    Options
    dang a bacon maple bar sounds really good right now

bacon-maple-bar.jpg