Does anyone else seem to get sick.. A LOT?

Options

Replies

• Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    - Yeah - I was thinking that processed foods and my sodium intake may be part of the problem. I'm going to definitly work on that. More veges and fruits, more vitamin C. Note definitly taken :)

- I actually eat a lot of salads and veges... but I'm a fan of putting processed crap on them. So yes, that's probably part of my issue too.

- Oh yeah, the Neti Pot sinus rinse thing is awesome. Really helps with the allergies. I totally recommend that one as well :)

- SLEEP. Yeah, I've heard that one before. I average about 6 hrs a night. I'm thinking I need to be closer to 7 1/2.

- And yes, I work in an office that has a public counter in the front. I'm in the back - but i'm sure there's a very large amount of nasty germs that circulate on a regular basis.

- Zinc... interesting. I've taken Airborne and Emergen-C when I felt a cold coming on. Is zinc a normal suppliment that one can take on a regular basis?

THANK YOU ALL for the awesome suggestions! :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    it's a rarity for me. *knocks on wood*
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne.

Airborne is completely ineffective. A handful of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and a few herbal extracts. The manufacturer lost a lawsuit in 2008 over their claims that it prevented colds, and had to give refunds to customers. They're now limited to calling Airborne an "immune booster".

According to the FTC’s complaint, "there is no competent and reliable scientific evidence to support the claims made by the defendants that Airborne tablets can prevent or reduce the risk of colds, sickness, or infection; protect against or help fight germs; reduce the severity or duration of a cold; and protect against colds, sickness, or infection in crowded places such as airplanes, offices, or schools."
  • teenytinylove
    Options
    oh my gosh, i feel like EVERYTIME i start up my diet again i get sick and feel like ****.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You don't eat enough.

Some days, you only log 400 calories. I would venture a guess that your body is so preoccupied by lack of food that it doesn't have time to waste fighting off a cold.

I eat a moderate deficit, TDEE-20%. I eat mostly healthy with some junk and workout 3-5 days a week. I'm hardly ever sick an when I am, it doesn't hit me that hard. For example, my husband and I both have had colds in the last week. His hit him like a mack truck....mine was just a slightly irritating sore throat in the mornings and one or two days of a runny nose.

You can pop vitamins all day long, but it's not going to make up for the fact that you are eating a VLCD.
  • eyeforinfo
    Options
    Your responders have hit a lot of good points. Good nutrition. Sleep. Recovery from work-outs. Genetics. Allergies. All play a part. You have to keep exploring and get to know your body and how best to maintain it in a way that works the best for you.

Someone made a good point about greens = more B vitamins which might be helpful to you. I have found that garlic is super helpful for protection from viruses - although raw seems to work better than cooked. Uncooked ginger root also has great anti-viral properties and has the added benefit of reducing inflammation in the body.

Good luck!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I catch everything...but I am on immune supressing steriods :grumble:
  • stephwilkerson45
    Options
    I have the same, but I attribute it to three things:

1 - I don't get enough sleep. I know I don't, but it's a hard habit to break, and it can't help.
    2 - I ride public transit (hooray for the CTA) every day. So, I chill in a germ tube for approximately an hour every day.
    3 - The gym is a hotbed of germs. And people don't clean the equipment.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I was sick ALL OF THE TIME. Granted I smoked, drank heavily 4x a week and ate terribly, but it was almost comical. In my four years at school, I had strep throat 4x, bronchitis 8x, pneumonia 1x, the SWINE FLU 1x, constant sinus infections and numerous kidney/bladder infections. My friends all joked that I was the #1 patient of the medical center. When I graduated college I went to an ENT and he said that the reason I was sick all of the time was because my septum was so deviated that my sinuses could never properly drain and I would constantly keep getting sick. My tonsils had the same issue- they would harbor infection. I am planning on saving up for a surgery to get both issues taken care of, but I haven't been sick in a year and that is probably because I started taking daily multivitams, doing a nasal irrigation and EATING BETTER AND EXERCISE :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne. Whenever someone in my office is sick or I am in big crowds of potentially plague carrying people, I drink it. And I'm rarely sick.

Right, forget empirical data and double blind peer reviewed studies, Airborn works because I use it and am rarely sick....ugh *facepalm*

Your environment is most likely the cause of your sickness. Your allergies, your natural immune system, the weather, etc. I used to get sick way more often until I moved to California and took a different job. My allergies are non existent, I'm no longer as stressed and the shut in environment during winter no longer happens=less sickness for me.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I seem to be impenetrable to anything since starting my "new lifestyle." I was running around with no coat for the month of November while everyone was on about how cold it was outside. I have yet to have a single sniffle...and I'm jinxing the heck out of this aren't I? lol
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I noticed that since we started eating a lot of green stuff like broccoli and green beans that my kids get sick a lot less. Or they are sick for less time. Except my one son that won't eat his vegetables. He's sick all the time. Is it coincidence? Don't know!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick often, and I'm sure that's because I don't take medicine when I am. Your immune system needs to work to stay strong like any other part of your body.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and I used to get sick like that at least once a month, until I started realizing what was happening with my body and now I try to fix it before it gets too bad so that I only get sick like that once every 6 months or so. I realized that my issues lie with getting water in my ears, which doesn't dissipate, and eventually turns into a sinus infection/eye infection/bronchitis/and ear infections.

I also feel that eating better boosts my immune system.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3 is excellent for helping your immune system, but you need to take about 5000 IU daily.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You don't eat enough.

Some days, you only log 400 calories. I would venture a guess that your body is so preoccupied by lack of food that it doesn't have time to waste fighting off a cold.

I eat a moderate deficit, TDEE-20%. I eat mostly healthy with some junk and workout 3-5 days a week. I'm hardly ever sick an when I am, it doesn't hit me that hard. For example, my husband and I both have had colds in the last week. His hit him like a mack truck....mine was just a slightly irritating sore throat in the mornings and one or two days of a runny nose.

You can pop vitamins all day long, but it's not going to make up for the fact that you are eating a VLCD.

Any day that looks like I've only eaten 400 cals - I had gotten busy and didn't log my food the rest of the day.

A lot of days, I get busy with homelife and don't get a chance to log dinner. Everything before 4:30 - I'm religious with (because I'm at a desk or around my phone). But after that, it's up in the air. I average between 1600 to 2000 calories a day, on average.

Anyone else posting comments on this (which I truly, truly appreciate), me not eating enough is not a relivent factor. I eat PLENTY.
  • shev11
    shev11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to get sick ALL the time, I would have a constant cold the whole of winter. For the last few months I've started drinking around three cups of green tea a day and so far this cold season I am cold free...so that's my suggestion.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I suffer from allergies and chronic sinusitis and I don't have a particular time of the year it bothers me. I do get allergy shots every other week. I do have a nasal nebulizer as well. If you don't have one, you can get a Netti Pot or something like that, just make sure to use distilled water. But this month has been a weird month with that. I haven't had post nasal drip in years and had it twice so far this month. I have to be careful when I have sinus/allergy flair ups because it can also flair up my asthma.

All I can say is build up your immune system with Vitamin C and D for the flu/cold season is definitely here. Wash your hands or keep hand sanitizer around. I keep Lysol in my office, so I spray down my office through out the day because you never know what other people are bringing in from the outside.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Weird I could be around people all day and not get sick. Last time I was sick I was a teenager when I got my last flew shot!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne. Whenever someone in my office is sick or I am in big crowds of potentially plague carrying people, I drink it. And I'm rarely sick.

this^^