in need of some brutal, honest advice

Options

Replies

• fope5
    fope5 Posts: 20
    Options
    thankyou for all your caring responses. I think you've made it pretty clear to me that i'm not being normal i guess i'm just happy with having found something i can take control of and it's gone a little too far. My friends cooking fajitas tonight, so i guess i'm just going to try and test myself by eating without caring about the calories. thanks again everyone i promise to change my ways
  • Smallz13
    Options
    good for you hun, i really hope you become more comfortable with the new eating situation :-)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    thankyou for all your caring responses. I think you've made it pretty clear to me that i'm not being normal i guess i'm just happy with having found something i can take control of and it's gone a little too far. My friends cooking fajitas tonight, so i guess i'm just going to try and test myself by eating without caring about the calories. thanks again everyone i promise to change my ways

Look at the Fajita this way:
    If theres a wheat tortilla, use that instead if not limit yourself to 1-2 tortillas. Add more veggies than meat. Hold on any sauces (put them on the side if youll have any) and ENJOY !
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

If theres a wheat tortilla, use that instead if not limit yourself to 1-2 tortillas. Add more veggies than meat. Hold on any sauces (put them on the side if youll have any) and ENJOY !
    She thinks she might have an eating disorder, and you're telling her how to be more restrictive? :noway:
  • kpbs68
    kpbs68 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you have secondary amenorrhea it's a classic sign that you are not eating enough.

The fact that you are not hungry is meaningless. A prolonged lack of calories and nutrients will mean you have unreliable and distorted hunger cues. You're not in an immediate danger but you are not in optimal health clearly

You need to eat more in a systematic fashion.
    this is the most informed advice I have seen on your topic so far.
    The human body is naturally designed to in take 1200 calories per day at the least. If a woman goes below this and looses to much body fat her reproductive system starts to shut down, leading to a host of other potentially chronic conditions, osteoperosis and heart disease are two of the major ones. being under weight can cause heart damage due to low electrolytes. having imbalanced electrolytes can also cause your fatigue sysmptoms as well.
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everything and I'm sure it has been stated but you need a minimum of 1200 calories every day to stay out of starvation mode.

A daily multivitamin would probably be helpful for you as well if you don't currently take one.
  • JustANumber85
    Options

She thinks she might have an eating disorder, and you're telling her how to be more restrictive? :noway:

no i mean she can eat 10 if she wants but i thought id tell her to eat healthy. She cant just shove a bunch of food in her mouth all at one time and gain weight, you have to start slow and if you do it with healthy foods thats better than filling up on junk to gain weight!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you perhaps need to chat to someone about your relationship with food, I'm your height and even at 19 I was around 30 pounds heavier (I played sports for Scotland at the time and was really fit). Eat some more, learn to enjoy food as fuel, you will feel better for it.
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    GPs are notoriously stupid about eating disorders. Advice from a GP is almost always useless when it comes to ED's/being underweight. Even if you aren't intentionally starving yourself, you are certainly under-eating. A nutritionist can help with that if there are no other underlying mental health issues, but if you are concerned about body image, you will need psych help as well.
  • sarflin
    Options
    You need to go towards healthy fats- Olive oil is great, advocatoes are good too. Peanut butter and Almond butter are great. If you eat these things and more calories, your energy will increase.

Pizza and going out for drinks has HORRIBLE nutrients. Eat healthy calories- the junk food will drain you.

Although, its ok to indulge a little : )
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you OP..I took a quick look by searching "recovering from an eating disorder" on google and there are loads of resources out there!

Celebrate fresh, healthy foods. Set a schedule for yourself to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks inbetween. Slowly work your way up. This is also a way to be "in control".. you DON'T have to starve yourself to feel in control of your diet!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I suggest you watch a few episode of the show "Supersize vs Superskinny" It is quite informative for either extreme. I don't know if the show runs regularly as I don't live in the UK, but there's quite a few epiosdes on Youtube.
  • fope5
    Options
    believe me i eat very healthily, take a look at my diary if you want cos personally i think what I eat shouldn't constitute being underweight. But i realize i am so obviously i'm going wrong somewhere. Most likely the control i have of my diet
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The big concern here is that your period stopped. That only happens when your significantly underweight. If your doctor isn't concerned, he should honestly have his license taken away. See a nutritionist, and they'll tell you exactly how much you need to eat to maintain. Good luck sweety, and please take care of yourself.

Edit: lol I typed "sweaty"
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Here's a spin not yet presented:

If you're here HONESTLY tracking your intake and exercise, print out a few weeks or months history and take that to the doctor with you. Ask for a referral to an outpatient therapist and a nutritionist.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    believe me i eat very healthily, take a look at my diary if you want cos personally i think what I eat shouldn't constitute being underweight. But i realize i am so obviously i'm going wrong somewhere. Most likely the control i have of my diet

I went ahead and took a look, there are a lot of great veggies in there and very healthy foods. I see you're drinking skim milk. You could bump that up to 2% or more.

tumblr_m605xrise11qaeptio2_500.gif

Adding some nuts into your diet would help you add some calories and healthy fats. Maybe consider protein powder?

I'm not really one to take advice from as i'm struggling with my own weight and body image.. but these are just some thoughts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

I went ahead and took a look, there are a lot of great veggies in there and very healthy foods. I see you're drinking skim milk. You could bump that up to 2% or more.

tumblr_m605xrise11qaeptio2_500.gif

Adding some nuts into your diet would help you add some calories and healthy fats. Maybe consider protein powder?

I'm not really one to take advice from as i'm struggling with my own weight and body image.. but these are just some thoughts.

And the OP can start eating some meat.. protein is very low.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary for today...and it stinks. Yes, you have healthy things listed, but REALLY, 1 spinich leaf? Your "salad"
    likely wouldn't fill 1/2 cup. You shoud be eating 2 cups. You were over your sugar limit, virtually no protein, carbs or fats. You aren't eating Dear, you are pretending and you live in fantasy land.

You need help of a nutritionist, a decent doctor, and a shrink. Or, we are going to hear on MFP from someone, that you suddenly died.

Is that honest enough???
  • JustANumber85
    Options

ill give an example of how it shows you being underweight- you ate ONE leaf of spinach. I am going to have 1c tonight on my taco salad.
  • fope5
    Options
    it wasnt one spinach leaf haha thats an error i promise it was a good 2 handfuls!