kale chips .. thoughts??

Options
i've heard ton of raves about kale , im thinking about making kale chips .. any thoughts ??

love / hate them?
r they like potato chips ? what do they taste like?

thnks !

Replies

• stephanielindsey
    Options
    They don't taste like potato chips but do satisfy that need for crunch. I like them. Just be careful, its very easy to burn them.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    And very easy to over salt them, the kale shrinks up and the salt concentrates, salt sparingly. I think they're good occasionally though, don't taste like potato chips at all.
  • museumeclectic
    museumeclectic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips! Lightly seasoned. It's true, they are nothing like potato chips, but they are addicting like potato chips and fun to eat!
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nothing like potato chips, and gross. We made them once, tried them (puke), and pitched them...
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    i've heard ton of raves about kale , im thinking about making kale chips .. any thoughts ??

love / hate them?
    r they like potato chips ? what do they taste like?

thnks !
    I made them for the first time the other night and we loved them here. I cut the spines out mixed up some olive oil with garlic/black pepper in a ziplock bag, put the kale in the bag shook it up, then spread out on a pan and baked for 10 minutes at 350. Came out great. This weekend we'll be trying some with old bay and another batch with chilli powder.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Love them! I use the pam olive oil spray to mist the kale. I agree about being careful not to over salt as well.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I made them for the first time the other night and we loved them here. I cut the spines out mixed up some olive oil with garlic/black pepper in a ziplock bag, put the kale in the bag shook it up, then spread out on a pan and baked for 10 minutes at 350. Came out great. This weekend we'll be trying some with old bay and another batch with chilli powder.

I do this, except i use a vinaigrette dressing to coat rather than oil, salt and pepper. gives a nice range of flavors to try
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Had them for the first time yesterday. Not my personal cup of tea. :ohwell:
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like them! I had them in a ziploc bag in my car, and my husband asked me what I was doing with a ziploc bag full of leaves in my car! lol.. I like them with a little garlic salt! YUM!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    To each his own, but I hated them.........only made once and tossed them, I REALLYYYYYYYYYY tried to like them, b/c I need the salty crunch, but for me tastes like burnt grass with some dirt... :> You should try it once, its so cheap.. and really easy to do.
  • vkmcewen
    vkmcewen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wanted to love them. They smelled and tasted awful. I sprayed with olive oil and very lightly salted them. They had a very interesting, paper-thin texture. Not really a crunch, but disintegrated like something that was burned. I don't think I actually burned them, though. Good luck---hopefully you like them more than we did.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    nothing like potato chips but they're delicious. I don't think I'd have liked them much if my first exposure was homemade. I'd go and buy some and then attempt it.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Love love love them! Kale, sweet potato, beets, cauliflower ....All delicious in the dehydrator.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was prepared to hate them....but instead....Loved them. they were better with seasoning salt vs regular salt
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    LOVE them! Just make sure the leaves are good and dry before you toss them with the oil and bake them or they won't crisp up well before they burn.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've tried them and wasn't wild about them, which is funny because I really like kale. I decided to just eat my kale as salad instead.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Love them. Whatever you do, don't burn them...(the #1 leading cause for "gross" kale chips*)

We use the dehydrator for ours...coat lightly in coconut oil (or olive oil), salt lightly, and dehydrate thoroughly at relatively low heat. There are some recipes with more ingredients, but we keep coming back to the basic one.

No, not really like a potato chip...in fact, I'd call them more kale crumbles than kale chips, but this also depends on the variety of kale you use. Fortunately, kale is so ridiculously cheap, you can experiment for not much $$$.

* according to a random survey of one person.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Love love love them! Kale, sweet potato, beets, cauliflower ....All delicious in the dehydrator.

Ewww, dehydrated sweet potatoes. We tried so many different ways to do these, but never found one that we liked. Baked sw potato chips? Delicious. Baked sw potatoes (then smahsed)? Delicious. Roasted sw potatoes cubed? Delicious. Dehydrated sw potatoes? Guh-ross.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Kale chips. I use either olive oil or safflower oil, toss it, use season salt and bake in the oven for about 10-12min on 350. Keep an eye on it though.. easy to burn.

I've put parmesan on it before as well, and everyone loved it! :)