is low fat dieting that good for you...

Options

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Low fat dieting is excellent.

You will find people here, meaning on this forum, that are on a low carb diet, so they will say fat is good for you.

For the sake of argument, I am going to call them Atkin's type dieter or Paleo (high fat, high protein, low carb), the new Atkin's diet is lower fat, higher protein and still low carb.

low fat dieters (myself and other vegetarians and vegans) will argue that essential fat found in plants are good for you but animal fat is not (saturated, trans, and there is a new man-made fat now which I don't remember the name right now).

No one will argue that there are essential fats and they are needed. Essential because our bodies do not produce them and we need to eat them.

The argument is where are these essential fats found. I have learned that they are found only in plants, some will argue otherwise, but we can agree to disagree.

For me, low-fat dieting is really the way to go, unless you do not mind being in a state of ketosis all the time, then you can eat high fats, high protein.
    Explain to me why saturated fat is bad.

I would like to know also as there are a lot of saturated fatty acids that are actually beneficial such as stearic acid which occurs in animal fats and milk. Stearic acid has been shown to lower LDL and to be HDL neutral.
    Not to mention the effect of a low fat diet on particle sizes of LDL lipoproteins.......basically a low fat diet reduces the size of the particles, hence the reduction in total cholesterol, but smaller particles are also more atherogenic. Also a low fat diet (higher carb diet) has a pretty negative effect on HDL, it lowers it, and despite lower cholesterol numbers if peoples HDL isn't at a decent number no lower effect of LDL is going to help, which has been confirmed by more recent studies that really only confirms what we already knew 30 years ago which is, it's not Total Cholesterol that should be worrisome, but the relationship of HDL/LDL and of course CRP, Lp{a}, trigs in the blood yada, yada.

Why is saturated fat bad? I never said saturated fat is bad. I said low fat dieting is excellent. Listen up.
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I thought this was debunked in 1988.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You will find people here, meaning on this forum, that are on a low carb diet, so they will say fat is good for you.

For the sake of argument, I am going to call them Atkin's type dieter or Paleo (high fat, high protein, low carb), the new Atkin's diet is lower fat, higher protein and still low carb.

low fat dieters (myself and other vegetarians and vegans) will argue that essential fat found in plants are good for you but animal fat is not (saturated, trans, and there is a new man-made fat now which I don't remember the name right now).

No one will argue that there are essential fats and they are needed. Essential because our bodies do not produce them and we need to eat them.

The argument is where are these essential fats found. I have learned that they are found only in plants, some will argue otherwise, but we can agree to disagree.

For me, low-fat dieting is really the way to go, unless you do not mind being in a state of ketosis all the time, then you can eat high fats, high protein.

I would like to know also as there are a lot of saturated fatty acids that are actually beneficial such as stearic acid which occurs in animal fats and milk. Stearic acid has been shown to lower LDL and to be HDL neutral.
    Not to mention the effect of a low fat diet on particle sizes of LDL lipoproteins.......basically a low fat diet reduces the size of the particles, hence the reduction in total cholesterol, but smaller particles are also more atherogenic. Also a low fat diet (higher carb diet) has a pretty negative effect on HDL, it lowers it, and despite lower cholesterol numbers if peoples HDL isn't at a decent number no lower effect of LDL is going to help, which has been confirmed by more recent studies that really only confirms what we already knew 30 years ago which is, it's not Total Cholesterol that should be worrisome, but the relationship of HDL/LDL and of course CRP, Lp{a}, trigs in the blood yada, yada.

Why is saturated fat bad? I never said saturated fat is bad. I said low fat dieting is excellent. Listen up.

You insinuated that it was bad. Chill....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I do moderate fats (60g+) and moderate protein (120g+) and there is not way I am ever in ketosis as I eat between 150g and 250g of carbs a day, so I would say the last sentence has a false logic.

I am going to average out your numbers when possible.

Carbs 200 grams = 800 calories
    Fats 60 grams = 540 calories
    120 grams of protein = 480 calories

So you are eating on average, about 1820 calories a day.

What is your source of fat (type of food)? 60 grams is very little for me to actually measure out so I am curious. If it comes from eating meat, then you are eating half of your calories from fat when eating meat. Curious!

Yes - I eat on average about 1,900 - 2,000 a day...your point? Oh, I am a vegetarian. My fats come from a mix of different foods....you know, the balance thing again.

ETA: I am actually a bit confused by your first sentence - are you saying that 60g + is low fat? I also do not understand the logic of the last sentence - but that's a moot point as I do not eat meat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    low fat is a fad that won't die.

We've had low-fat fad, low-carbs fad .. quickly I will write the low-protein fad book before someone else does

There are people out there who need to restrict their protein to survive. I am one of those people. I consume 30-35 grams of intact protein per day, consuming more than that is toxic and can cause neurological distress and can render the person mentally incapacitated, it has also resulted in many deaths. incase you're not familiar with it, it's what is known as an inborn error of metabolism. it's nothing to joke about.

Ok, so some people might need a low protein diet due to a medical condition. But, this would only affect a handful of people and is certainly not the norm.

I'm pretty sure the poster was not "joking" about your medical condition. It was a response to the tendency of perfectly healthy and normal people to restrict one macro or another in order to achieve weight loss. It's yo-yo dieting and it never works long term.
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    I pretty much hate all fad diets, diets that cut things out, because I really don't think ANY are sustainable. however, low fat seems to be the worse, considering your body needs fat to live and if I was forced to try out a diet for one week it'd probably be high fat. Though no macronutrient is dangerous. My boyfriend's mother continuously goes low carb and continuously fails once a piece of starch crosses her lips.. then she swings on over to low fat .. etc. It's a cycle and I always say to her, what happened to the normal healthy, balanced diet?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Fat is good, assuming you do not neglect your protein and micronutrients. It is essential for healthy body functions Try to get it from a variety of sources. Examples: nuts, seeds and nut and seed butters, ice-cream, dairy, avocados, eggs.

I am also not sure why it would be hard to get your fats being a vegetarian - I am one and have no issues getting over 50g a day, often much higher.

ETA: you are correct in that excess calories make you gain weight, not one individual macro.

Lipid type and content is far from irrelevant - research is showing that different types of fat effect health differently. However, what Sarah just wrote takes care of everything - eat essential fat from a variety of sources.

If you are not a vegetarian add fish and lean meats (but minimize cured sources like ham with heavy nitrate contents) to the list above.

What's wrong with fatty meats?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Although a concrete minimum intake hasn't been determined, a low fat diet carries several risks, with very few benefits, if any.
  • taem
    Options

I do moderate fats (60g+) and moderate protein (120g+) and there is not way I am ever in ketosis as I eat between 150g and 250g of carbs a day, so I would say the last sentence has a false logic.

What is your source of fat (type of food)? 60 grams is very little for me to actually measure out so I am curious. If it comes from eating meat, then you are eating half of your calories from fat when eating meat. Curious!

Yes - I eat on average about 1,900 - 2,000 a day...your point? Oh, I am a vegetarian. My fats come from a mix of different foods....you know, the balance thing again.

ETA: I am actually a bit confused by your first sentence - are you saying that 60g + is low fat? I also do not understand the logic of the last sentence - but that's a moot point as I do not eat meat.

Now that I know you are a vegetarian, I am really curious where you are getting your fats. At 2000 calories a day and 530 of them are fat calories, that's about 37% fat from calories. Being a starch based dieter myself, it's hard to go to that high in fats, unless you are eating nuts, avocados, guava, honey.

As for my last sentence, I fathom it was difficult for a meat eater, generally speaking, to consume so little fat. But now that you say you are a vegetarian, the opposite is happening. Where are you getting your fats from?

As far as your 'balanced dieting' is concerned, that is fine. I still stand by my idea that low fat is still an excellent way to diet.
  • taem
    Options

We all must understand that after your body receives enough calories (this depends on various factors such as your metabolism for example) any excessive amounts of calories leads to being overweight, or weight gain. I am hinting at the law of thermodynamics.

I think we can all agree on this.

So, if 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of protein is 4 calories and 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories. I really don't want to eat more fat calories because it is more than double a gram of protein or a gram of carbs. Again, if you are in a state of ketosis, this model doesn't apply. However, if you are not in ketosis, you have to watch your calorie intake.

Look, the world cancer association came out with recommendations that if you want to avoid certain types of cancer, it is recommended that you be in the lower range of your BMI. So, I don't care how you do it, eat fat, protein whatever, but if you are not in ketosis, you have to watch your calories, and fat, is just too costly per gram.

This is why I say a low-fat, not fat-free diet, is excellent.
  • taem
    Options

That's why 1.73 billion rural Chinese people who eat a low-fat diet are so sick and fat and they have such high cholesterol?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

That's why 1.73 billion rural Chinese people who eat a low-fat diet are so sick and fat and they have such high cholesterol?
    That's unfortunate.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

We all must understand that after your body receives enough calories (this depends on various factors such as your metabolism for example) any excessive amounts of calories leads to being overweight, or weight gain. I am hinting at the law of thermodynamics.

So, if 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of protein is 4 calories and 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories. I really don't want to eat more fat calories because it is more than double a gram of protein or a gram of carbs. Again, if you are in a state of ketosis, this model doesn't apply. However, if you are not in ketosis, you have to watch your calorie intake.

Look, the world cancer association came out with recommendations that if you want to avoid certain types of cancer, it is recommended that you be in the lower range of your BMI. So, I don't care how you do it, eat fat, protein whatever, but if you are not in ketosis, you have to watch your calories, and fat, is just too costly per gram.

Yes, I am aware of the law of thermodynamics. I am able to have 60g + of fats and still get a lot of food to fill me up and stay within my calorie target. Fats are actually more satiating than carbs. BMI is bs for me as I have a high LBM - I am however in the athletic BF% range.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Now that I know you are a vegetarian, I am really curious where you are getting your fats. At 2000 calories a day and 530 of them are fat calories, that's about 37% fat from calories. Being a starch based dieter myself, it's hard to go to that high in fats, unless you are eating nuts, avocados, guava, honey.

As for my last sentence, I fathom it was difficult for a meat eater, generally speaking, to consume so little fat. But now that you say you are a vegetarian, the opposite is happening. Where are you getting your fats from?

As far as your 'balanced dieting' is concerned, that is fine. I still stand by my idea that low fat is still an excellent way to diet.

Dairy, nuts, seeds fruits/veggies, eggs, oils,- you know, a mix of things.
  • shedder3000
    Options
    If by low fat dieting you're referring to a diet that discourages consumption of saturated and trans fats and does not deprive the body of essential fats like polyunsaturated omega 3s and monounsaturated in avocados, then yes it's good for you.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that caloric soda has zero fat should tell you that low fat dieting is useless. The 90's were dumb.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    low fat is a fad that won't die.
    "Fat phobia" is sooo '80s. We're in a new millennium, carbs are now the favorite demon (with plenty of new "junk science" to back the claims).

To the OP: Dietary fat =/= body fat. A caloric excess causes weight gain, regardless of macronutrients.

junk science= Ansel Key's " SevenCounrty Study" where he threw out the data that didn't fit his hypothesis and concluded that fat= heart disease. No. So very sad that we still believe this.
  • taem
    Options

Yes, I am aware of the law of thermodynamics. I am able to have 60g + of fats and still get a lot of food to fill me up and stay within my calorie target. Fats are actually more satiating than carbs. BMI is bs for me as I have a high LBM - I am however in the athletic BF% range.

Well there you go. You admit to being above average in exercising so you can consume more calories. Thus the "balance" of macros.

Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well there you go. You admit to being above average in exercising so you can consume more calories. Thus the "balance" of macros.

Thanks.

Where on earth did you see that? I do no cardio and have a desk job and outside the gym am a lazy bish. You are seeing things, Higher fat is also good for eyesight btw.

I do not understand why you are finding the concept of moderate carbs/fats/protein so hard to grasp. You seem to be grasping at straws to make me 'unusual'. I am a 45 year old woman with a desk job who basically does no cardio and no activities outside strength training. I have a moderate calorie deficit. I am not a special snowflake.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    its all prefence, i do low fat, meaning i only eat the bare minimum to support healthy hormone production. Carbs fuel my day to day life better than fat.