Christmas Mini Rant.

Options

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I say Merry Christmas, others say it to me, and I'm not Christian... Merry Christmas people!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am agnostic and believe in the Golden Rule. I feel that I am becoming a minority and am badgered because I don't believe in any diety.

Why can't we get together without having religion shoved down our throats. I want to spend time with family and friends. Don't want to pray to an imaginary friend. :devil:

And yes the 'holiday' have gotten so commercial it is sad. It was only because of the damn political crap that I was so happy to see my first xmas commercials!! :laugh:

My thoughts Xactly!!
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    My dad is a southern baptist pastor. Growing up we weren't allowed to celebrate christmas because it stemmed from a pagan holiday (yes, my parent's were cultic strict). Now I am agnostic and I have other atheists and agnostics telling me that I shouldn't celebrate christmas because it represents christianity.

I say F#*% that! Holy mother, people. I can celebrate whatever the hell I want, whenever the hell I want regardless of what it does or does not represent to a group of people. What it represents to me is togetherness, giving, pretty decorations and addictive music. I love it and will celebrate it no matter what people think about what I should or should not do based on my beliefs.

Hear hear! I am agnostic but see Christmas as a time for families to get together and enjoy good food, a family film in front of a cosy fire and a laugh together! The whole father christmas thing was lovely when the kids were little and really annoying when they were teenagers (as they were all about the presents! past Santa by then of course) but now they are adults it is back to being a day spent together and visiting with other family too.
    oh and of course the Dr Who Christmas special!
    Oh my. I think we should be friends sir. :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, the wishor’s best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter holiday; practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all; and a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects, and having regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or dietary preference of the wishee.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ms. psycholodee

I just want to say that there is an incredible amount of extremism during December... I believe that this is very true in America's deep south...

I think that is why I don't care about the December holiday season at all... On the other hand, I am not against people saying "Merry Christmas" or even "Happy Holidays."
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Why doesnt everyone stop getting butthurt and enjoy the holiday however you want to
    Exactly. I will take whatever greeting is offered me in the spirit in which it was sent without offense or over-analyzing it. I am a Christian and celebrate Christmas but it's very un-Christianlike to get all offended because someone says "Happy Holidays".
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I say Merry Christmas, others say it to me, and I'm not Christian... Merry Christmas people!

That's very accommodating, but it's high time that Americans understood that everyone is not Christian, and that some people don't believe in organized religion or God.

You can promote peace on earth good will to people without bringing Christ or God into it.

I love certain aspects of Christmas, but I don't think Jesus was the son of God. I think perhaps he was a kind teacher. I'd also like to see the many women who supported Jesus's ministry written back into the holy texts.

I also like Hanukkah and Winter Solstice celebrations.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Why doesnt everyone stop getting butthurt and enjoy the holiday however you want to
    Exactly. I will take whatever greeting is offered me in the spirit in which it was sent without offense or over-analyzing it. I am a Christian and celebrate Christmas but it's very un-Christianlike to get all offended because someone says "Happy Holidays".

Discussing our differences, figuring out how to reconcile them is what makes us Americans. People should be thinking about whether they are giving offense. We're supposed to be trying to live together.
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, the wishor’s best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter holiday; practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all; and a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects, and having regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or dietary preference of the wishee.

Brilliant!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    You should be more concerned about how holidays like Christmas promote rampant consumerism which is destroying our planet, increasing the national debt and supporting slave labor.

Stop buying *kitten* you (and other people) don't need for the sake of a holiday you don't even believe in. There's 7 billion of us now. Thats a lot of mouths to feed.

:) love!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah rants like this are better suited for your blog.

I agree... It's like she posted this just to argue this age old boring argument :)

Nothing I haven't seen before.. I must carry on with my day now!
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

That's very accommodating, but it's high time that Americans understood that everyone is not Christian, and that some people don't believe in organized religion or God.

You can promote peace on earth good will to people without bringing Christ or God into it.

I love certain aspects of Christmas, but I don't think Jesus was the son of God. I think perhaps he was a kind teacher. I'd also like to see the many women who supported Jesus's ministry written back into the holy texts.

I also like Hanukkah and Winter Solstice celebrations.

Sorry, I just can't resist....but how do Americans get blamed for a holiday that was started (and recognized as Christmas)...oh you know...centuries before the US was colonized? I call shenanigans.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Sorry, your logic is not welcome here in this land of hysteria.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry or care what anyone puts on their FB page about religion, politics, race, sex or whatever. Too many folks get their panties up in a wad. I'm respectful and tolerant of their opinions and beliefs. However if someone was posting that on my FB page or was attacking my beliefs or opinions on my FB page, then I might take issue. If it's only on theirs, just zoom past it and ignore. I had to do alot of that with the last election...
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Mini vent: I have seen a bunch of "Let's put the Christ back in Christmas" on FB today. Here's the thing: not everyone is Christian. That does not mean those folks cannot celebrate the spirit of Christmas. Why do we give a flying fig about Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays? How about let's instead take the time to respect the values and traditions this holiday season represents, and worry less about the damn verbage. That is all.

If that's your biggest gripe of the day, count yourself as lucky. Gotta love first world problems.
    a family is burying their beheaded 14 year old because omg, they turned down a marriage proposal.
    People in NJ and NY are still struggling after the hurricane..

I hope you feel lucky that this is your biggest problem of the day.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    edit: nevermind.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    imho, the problem is that Christmas is a Christian holiday and there have been so many efforts to take Christianity out of every aspect of life because it 'offends' someone. What I think people fail to realize is that while they don't have to subscribe to Christianity or Christmas, they also shouldn't try to take it away from those of us that do believe in Christ and Christmas.

Who is offended? Have you actually come across a person who has said Christmas offends them so stop saying Merry Christmas?
    The only people I hear crabbing about this are the Christians. and not one so far has been able to tell me who is complaining and demanding there be holiday trees, happy holidays, etc. The only people proposing Holiday trees to replace Christmas trees around here are actually PC Christians who think they are so good and kind thinking of the other people. That got shot down in my city, the non Christians stood up and said don't be white knighting us, we don't care if City Hall has a Christmas tree.
    Other than that, businesses who think of all their customers and not wanting to scare off some people by being too centralized on one holiday, will go with the general holiday greetings. That is just smart for them though.
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey, for those folks that it is important to, let them. Christmas is just the latest label for the the end of year/ winter holidays. It's a time to celebrate family and friends. Spread some joy!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The term "holiday tree" annoys me just as much as those who believe in this " imaginary war on Christmas."
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm mainly pissed off that all my efforts to get 'Bacon Day' established as a national holiday have gone overlooked. So we're all pissed about something.
This discussion has been closed.