I only like fatty foods how can I still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love fast food like nothing else; I'd be a lot worse off if I could afford to eat out more often! Like someone before me said, as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, even if you're still eating junk. On the other hand, if you want to eat less junk, here are some suggestions for you:

Eggs: eggs are really fast and easy, plus they're full of protein, which keeps you full longer. There are studies out that show people who eat eggs for breakfast on a daily or regular basis tend to weigh less. (I'm too lazy to look it up, but I've heard this from two different places.) You can hard-boil a bunch of them at a time and eat some as a snack, or with a toasted bagel and some sliced cheese, you can make your own "egg mcmuffin." If you have time, mix in chopped veggies, or if you're in a hurry, you can add some salsa, and make an omelete.

Potatoes: (also one of my weaknesses) - of all the ways you can prepare a potato, I've heard that broiled is best for you. It's still a potato no matter what you do to it, but covered in butter and bacon...not as healthy. You can mix veggies in with mashed potatoes. I've heard that you can sneak cauliflower in because it's white; I guess if the cauliflower is pureed, it makes the potatoes creamy. If you buy Bob Evans or Simply Potatoes microwaveable potatoes, you could probably add other veggies. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there's no way to make French Fries healthy. If you find one, let me know... ;-) Sweet potatoes have their own nutritional advantages. There are even sweet potato chips and my dad found some good sweet potato fries in the freezer section. Baked chips or fries are presumably still better than fried, but again, not technically considered "healthy."

When you go out: if you're offered a fried side, try to get soup or salad instead. I really don't like lettuce that much (can't stand cucumbers, and I'll only eat onions sometimes)...but I love salad dressing, so if you're okay with salads some of the time, or if you like soups (which are usually high in salt, but still considered better than onion rings and all my other vices), that'll help you cut down on some of the "hardcore fats" that a person consumes when eating fried foods.

Chinese: stir-fry at home doesn't take that long. Cut a chicken breast into either strips or bite-sized pieces, get a bag of mixed veggies, and throw it all in a pan for, like, 10 minutes. (However long it takes for the chicken to cook through.) Make some instant rice. Invest in soy sauce or sweet and sour. Voila! If that's too bland for you, check the internet for other recipes; there are spices that will make it taste more like Chinese take-out without the MSG and other unhealthy hoo-ha. (Hoohah?)

Last idea for now: TRY CHICKEN! If you eat out a lot (read: "if you're like me when I eat out") you probably get a lot of burgers and stuff like that. I eat a fair bit of red meat right now, including processed junk. According to all the stuff I've read, it'll catch up with me eventually. I'm turning 22 in just over a month, so I'm not as concerned with heart attacks and cholesterol just yet. (Again, this isn't the right approach, but I LOVE bad-for-me foods.) Try chicken. I'm not sure if fried chicken is still better than red meat, but if you're just eating out because you don't have time or desire to cook, many fast food places these days offer healtier alternatives to the usual fast-food meal. Some have apples with caramel dip...still less healthy than just the apple, but it's about 700 calories less than a milkshake!

Congrats on your weight loss. You're welcome to add me if you want, or if you liked my ideas (mostly found on the Internet, but I'm full of 'em!) and want more suggestions, you can message me. Good luck with everything!!

Edit - two things I forgot to mention: first, you don't need to change everything at once. It's easier to stick to if you change one food or habit at a time. The second thing is, don't give up the bad foods you really love. There are people who will disagree with me on this, and they're right when they tell us that we're better off giving up those foods altogether...but if I work really hard to lose weight and can't enjoy a piece of birthday cake, or eat out with my friends when they come home from college, then I can choose to have a serving of junk on special occasions. If watching my weight meant giving up everything that I like, I'd still be gaining weight, because I wouldn't bother trying.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    *sigh* SORRY...I wrote you a book, and now I'm going to add in the teaser for the next one! X-D In my house, we normally only have dark chocolate (which is what my mom likes, and while it is still caloric, it's considered "good for you."). I'm a milk-chocolate person, with a serious "appreciation" of Hershey and Crunch bars. When they're not in the house, I rarely think about them. When they're in the house, I can go through close to ten fun-sized bars in a day.

I saw a mention of chips on here. This is my dad's biggest thing. We live about three blocks from a CVS, and about one mile from a Food 4 Less (a.k.a. Kroger), and when he wants chips, he'll often walk to the store. Sometimes he'll walk to the Jewel, and that's three miles away. If you're just starting your weight loss journey, three miles each way is probably more than you're up for. (Maybe not - but I've been doing this for almost three years now, and I wouldn't walk six round-trip miles for any food.) Like one of the other posters said, don't buy chips. Then, if you really want them, walk somewhere to get them. Drive if you prefer, but either way, make it inconvenient to eat junk; if it's in the house, it's in your face. You could also buy smaller bags or put a serving into a snack bag when you go to work to help you keep it to just a serving.
  • Lovingmyboys89
    Lovingmyboys89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As long as youre calorie deficit you will lose weight! You want to eat healthier though for your overall health and energy, besides fatty foods are high in calories and there for you will be starving if you only eat one meal a day. Imagine a carls jr. Western bacon cheeseburger is over 1000 cals. What I suggest from experience is to start off slow. Eat normal but start adding in fruits and veggies instead of cookies, then start making healthier versions of your favorite foods. Like oven fried chicken cooked in whole wheat flour and a tbsp of olive oil, or french toast made with ezekial bread and lite ayrup. This whole process is about a lifestyle change, something you can manage for your entire life. Eat how you want to eat when you reach your goal weight, because its not realistic to never eat another piece of cake, or eat a hamburger with no hamburger bun. If you eliminate every food, as soon as you eat normal you will gain it back! Also if you go and try to eliminate what you love, you will continue to fall into old habits and yo yo. So eat what you love and love how you live! Be healthy and learn to love healthy foods. Fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, healthy fat, nuts, seeds, non fat diary! You got this hun! Iit works, if it didnt I wouldnt be 40+ pounds down and still losing daily! Boom
  • FloridaPops
    Options
    Isabelle has a point, especially on water. I can almost assure you that if you start drinking water, it not only cleans out and detoxifies your system. BUT.......it cleans your mouth including your tongue. If you drink water consistently everyday for a week, I will challenge you to then pick up your favorite soda.....take a sip. You'll notice an immediate difference in the taste, especially the acidity of it. I stopped drinking Diet Cokes.
  • FloridaPops
    Options
    I don't know about "stupid" advice.....I try not to give "stupid" advice. But then again, the research I've done in the past two years. I guess we'd be calling those people "stupid". But.....they've proven themselves. Oh well...
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    I would try some new techniques with potatoes for instance...maybe bake them and make french fries that well...aren't fried. I find it important not to give up the foods you love...I'm only down 9lbs so far but I still allow myself some indulgences on occasion...if you don't ever eat the food you love you'll most likely end up binging on it at some point (that is if you're anything like me). Think of some of the healthier foods you like and experiment with recipes and what not. I love pizza so what I do sometimes is buy the lean cuisine or smart ones pizzas....yes the sodium count isn't great but it's a good way to eat something you love withoout killing your calorie count.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You can still eat "fatty" foods but make it healthy fats. Like, grilled or baked chicken with some avocado, or with a little sour cream and some salsa. Marinade meat in an olive oil based marinade (I do olive oil with a squeeze of lemon and spices for chicken and pork, and olive oil with worchestershire and Montreal seasoning for beef). Dip veggies into Greek yogurt dip. Eat some grapes and a few nuts. (Healthy) Fat is not bad for you, it's the fried and processed foods that are awful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm fairly new to this. Although I've been on the site for almost two years I just gained friends about 20 days ago. Anyway I love love love potatoes!!! I love fried foods and fattening foods. After looking at my diary I realize that although I am for the most part staying within my 1200 cal/day limit, most of the food I am consuming is deemed bad for you. How will this hinder my weight loss process? So far I've lost 7.4 lbs in the last 20 days but I figure thats just because I'm so big (217 lbs) Will eating this food slow me down? Help!!!

I eat potatoes all time. Don't believe the hype! Eat a balanced diet and watch your calories!
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Isabelle has a point, especially on water. I can almost assure you that if you start drinking water, it not only cleans out and detoxifies your system. BUT.......it cleans your mouth including your tongue. If you drink water consistently everyday for a week, I will challenge you to then pick up your favorite soda.....take a sip. You'll notice an immediate difference in the taste, especially the acidity of it. I stopped drinking Diet Cokes.

Look at my diary. I've only drank water for weeks now...with the occassional diet lemonade thats only 10 calories. I love water. I always put 8 glasses on my diary but its probably more like 10 or 12 a day. You are right once you start drinking a lot of water soda isnt as appealing.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Look at my diary. I've only drank water for weeks now...with the occassional diet lemonade thats only 10 calories. I love water. I always put 8 glasses on my diary but its probably more like 10 or 12 a day. You are right once you start drinking a lot of water soda isnt as appealing.

Hi Carla! I think maybe the point of the post is that we can change the things we like by cleansing the palate, removal of certain foods, and then reintroducing them. Most fried foods make me ill, literally. And I can't stand the back of the tongue/throat with the grease. Awesome intake on water!!! There are no good sodas out there, our bodies do better with water :)
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    This could hurt your process. You need to incorporate healthy foods in here as well. We all love the nasty fast food products as well, but to lose the weight you have to slow down on eating them. I'm not saying stop completely because you don't have to, but you do have to stop eating them all the time. Give yourself something not so healthy sometimes, and eat healthy the rest of the time (:
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eat 1200 calories at 217lbs?... That's pretty low for that size. You need to go calculate your proper TDEE.

Fatty foods are more so concerning on your health more so than your weight. You're clogging your system and prepping yourself for diseases. If you want that fried dish, eat more veggies and make the fried dish a treat.

I would like to bet that if you were to start eating healthy, from December 1st, to December 31st, that if you treated yourself to your favorite fatty dish on January 1st, you'll find that you don't enjoy it as much as you used to! I wouldn't have believed that, but a while back I used to eat healthy. I enjoyed my veggies and fruits. Than about two months ago I was moving, had to save money and cut my healthy foods out of the diet to eat fast and fatty foods. At first I hated it, they upset my stomach, then all my problems came back. The depression, irritability, etc.

Try eating healthy for a month, there are so many ways to make dishes that would surprise you! If you want to add me I can help you think of creative ways to mock your fave dishes. :)
  • YuriBodrov
    Options
    Fatty food is actually not a bad way to lose weight!
    Problem is you can't eat much off it, because every gram of fat is 9calories, whilst protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram.

But with for example keto diets, people use a high protein and high fat (like fatty meats etc) and really low to no carbs.

Try to get in healthy fats tho, as far as nutritional value goes, it won't really make a difference.
    But when I'm eating a lot of bad fats, I notice I get acne really fast and things like that.

For fatty meat I'd go with fish or something!

Goodluck!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've seen way worse diets than the last few days of your diary. You can lose weight eating junk and gain eating quality - it's all about the number of calories and any diet that rules out everything you like is going to be hard to stick to long-term. HOWEVER, substitution of healthier, less calorie-dense items will improve your weight, health, satisfaction, etc. It looks like you are already doing that to some extent.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Evolving to a healthier diet is a slow process, and that's okay. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to make the effort to explore all the wonderful, healthy things there are to eat. There are tonnes of threads here and elsewhere on the internet to learn about healthy, delicious, affordable food. And, you have to allow yourself to change slowly, adapting to one or two new things at a time. This is the only sustainable way to change your lifestyle.

If your goal is to be healthier, you will get there by degrees, and foods that are harmful to your body will be come distasteful, not only because they will begin to upset your body (stomachaches, diarrhea, headaches, etc.) but psychologically you will feel like to eat those things would be hurting yourself.

Don't worry about giving up all the bad stuff at once, and don't feel guilty. This is unsustainable. Just decide your first priority, ultimately, is to be healthy.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eat 1200 calories at 217lbs?... That's pretty low for that size. You need to go calculate your proper TDEE.

Fatty foods are more so concerning on your health more so than your weight. You're clogging your system and prepping yourself for diseases. If you want that fried dish, eat more veggies and make the fried dish a treat.

I would like to bet that if you were to start eating healthy, from December 1st, to December 31st, that if you treated yourself to your favorite fatty dish on January 1st, you'll find that you don't enjoy it as much as you used to! I wouldn't have believed that, but a while back I used to eat healthy. I enjoyed my veggies and fruits. Than about two months ago I was moving, had to save money and cut my healthy foods out of the diet to eat fast and fatty foods. At first I hated it, they upset my stomach, then all my problems came back. The depression, irritability, etc.

Try eating healthy for a month, there are so many ways to make dishes that would surprise you! If you want to add me I can help you think of creative ways to mock your fave dishes. :)

Like this- Carla, based on your age/height (I am guessing 5'6 from your photo- how close did I get?), your BMR is 1787 calories.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Even at sedetary- BMR X 1.2 is 2144 calories. So yes, I agree with this poster, your calories may be too low. Remeber food is fuel, to keep going we need to fuel the machine. You wouldn't dump in cheap gas if you could afford premium right? Well, maybe just go to mid grade, and start branching out for new ideas for foods that will make you feel amazing!
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Like this- Carla, based on your age/height (I am guessing 5'6 from your photo- how close did I get?), your BMR is 1787 calories.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Even at sedetary- BMR X 1.2 is 2144 calories. So yes, I agree with this poster, your calories may be too low. Remeber food is fuel, to keep going we need to fuel the machine. You wouldn't dump in cheap gas if you could afford premium right? Well, maybe just go to mid grade, and start branching out for new ideas for foods that will make you feel amazing!

Ha! I actually look taller lol. I'm actually 5'3..im a shorty. I used the MFP calculator and it said to lose 2 lbs/week I need to have a 1200 calorie and day diet. I feel like I'm satisfied when I eat for the day. I really don't feel deprived. I just feel that way when I eat something super fattening. It takes practically all of my calories for the day.
  • hypocritelecter
    Options
    It's fine to have those 'fatty' foods, but try to balance them out slowly but surely with things that are more healthy. Eventually you'll be gravitating towards healthy alternatives more so than you would before! For me at 200 lbs+ I would always be craving bread and potato chips- now I crave fruit and nuts. Natural and healthy dishes taste SO MUCH BETTER once you begin to phase out the fatty alternatives. Keep in mind though that a lot of people here still indulge in what they like so long as they're within their caloric range, so... do what makes you happy. Screw the rest.
  • PrettyGirlPayton
    PrettyGirlPayton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know your pain. You just have to get your mental realm right. Without your mind set nothing will work. As I know that from experience. You have gotten some great advice. Baby steps though. You already stick to your calorie goals. Good. Next,replace one fatty food with fruit or veggies. Replace soda with water. Limit fast food to twice a week! Do that for awhile. Then maybe change 2 fatty foods a week,etc. The goal is to gradually get healthier. :)
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    Ok so I'm fairly new to this. Although I've been on the site for almost two years I just gained friends about 20 days ago. Anyway I love love love potatoes!!! I love fried foods and fattening foods. After looking at my diary I realize that although I am for the most part staying within my 1200 cal/day limit, most of the food I am consuming is deemed bad for you. How will this hinder my weight loss process? So far I've lost 7.4 lbs in the last 20 days but I figure thats just because I'm so big (217 lbs) Will eating this food slow me down? Help!!!

Cauliflower is a great substitute for potatoes. You can make mashed cauliflower, cauliflower tots, etc. Things like fried chicken can be replaced with baked chicken battered in cornflakes, etc. You can make burgers with ground turkey and use turkey bacon and even turkey pepperoni (try making your pizza crust with cauliflower too.) If any of these things sound interesting to you, just message me and I will point you toward a recipe. There are substitutes for almost any fried or fattening food you can think of. I get a LOT of ideas from pinterest.
    Another reason you may crave those fattening foods is that your body is used to them. They are addicting like crack but once you get off of them for a while, you won't crave them as much.