Anti Inflammatory Diet Grocery list

Options
Hi all,

I'm going to go on an anti inflammatory diet for health reasons, and I was wondering what's on your grocery list? Did any of you find eating a no dairy diet worth while? (besides greek yogurt and other high quality cheeses)

Thank you!

Replies

• firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I researched anti-inflammatory foods big time for health reasons also.
    Pineapple - Nature's ibuprofen
    Cinnamon
    Garlic
    Turmeric
    Tea
    Flax seed

Oh! Also stay away from:
    Sugar
    Trans fats
    Processed foods!(big one)
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I researched anti-inflammatory foods big time for health reasons also.
    Pineapple - Nature's ibuprofen
    Cinnamon
    Garlic
    Turmeric
    Tea
    Flax seed

Oh! Also stay away from:
    Sugar
    Trans fats
    Processed foods!(big one)

Thank you! :) Garlic is the natural antibiotic! :D
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, strawberries, cherries, raw nuts, sweet potatoes, salmon and tuna, are some of my favorites. My breakfast is super anti-inflammatory/anti-oxidant rich. Dr Weil's anti-inflammatory diet guidelines are helpful. I also like to check the inflammation factor of various foods on www.nutritiondata.com if I'm not familiar with them. I take slippery elm capsules as anti-inflammatory for intestinal system too.

It's clearly working. My doctor runs an MPO test on me annually, which is a great indication of systemic inflammatory status. Mine is now super low. The bags under my eyes (inflammation) - GONE. Stiff, aching joints - GONE. It's made it worth it to me, for sure.
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic and to the people who responded. The suggestions will give me a starting point for myself as well as to understand some of the food issues (sensitivity, inflammation) my mom has been having.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Blueberries, strawberries, cherries, raw nuts, sweet potatoes, salmon and tuna, are some of my favorites. My breakfast is super anti-inflammatory/anti-oxidant rich. Dr Weil's anti-inflammatory diet guidelines are helpful. I also like to check the inflammation factor of various foods on www.nutritiondata.com if I'm not familiar with them. I take slippery elm capsules as anti-inflammatory for intestinal system too.

It's clearly working. My doctor runs an MPO test on me annually, which is a great indication of systemic inflammatory status. Mine is now super low. The bags under my eyes (inflammation) - GONE. Stiff, aching joints - GONE. It's made it worth it to me, for sure.

I love Dr. Weil! Thank you!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My friend is on an anti-inflammatory diet and she lives by garlic and ginger. I guess I should pay attention to what else she eats, but those are definite staples in her diet. It's always fresh ginger, btw. She makes tea, shreds it into most stove-top dishes, and her protein shakes.
  • californiansun
    Options
    My friend is on an anti-inflammatory diet and she lives by garlic and ginger. I guess I should pay attention to what else she eats, but those are definite staples in her diet. It's always fresh ginger, btw. She makes tea, shreds it into most stove-top dishes, and her protein shakes.

I don't see much ginger around here, I'll look for it!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    As for dairy, it made a huge difference for me but it turns out that I'm super sensitive to it. All those years I thought my health was just lousy, but finally got a great doctor who figured out that dairy and gluten were both causing problems for me. I had chronic migraine, awful skin problems, digestive system problems, endocrine system problems, and more. It never would have occurred to me that foods I'd been raised to believe were so wonderful for me were actually causing all these symptoms. If I have even a small amount of milk (or the casein protein in milk) I react. It's a real pain.

You may not have a problem with milk. But one way to find out is to eliminate it for awhile and see what happens.
  • californiansun
    Options
    As for dairy, it made a huge difference for me but it turns out that I'm super sensitive to it. All those years I thought my health was just lousy, but finally got a great doctor who figured out that dairy and gluten were both causing problems for me. I had chronic migraine, awful skin problems, digestive system problems, endocrine system problems, and more. It never would have occurred to me that foods I'd been raised to believe were so wonderful for me were actually causing all these symptoms. If I have even a small amount of milk (or the casein protein in milk) I react. It's a real pain.

You may not have a problem with milk. But one way to find out is to eliminate it for awhile and see what happens.

I am extremely congested, so I think milk may be my issue! :) Thanks, I'll try it!
  • californiansun
    Options
    bump for later

I hope more people reply to this thread! I need some new ideas! :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I like salad that I dip into a mixture of half Greek yogurt and hot mustard with extra tumeric.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Can somebody please give me a link to, or describe how foods are inflammatory and how it affects you.
    Thanks.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Oily fish for the long chain omega-3s! Salmon and trout are good but sardines/ pilchards, herrings and mackerel are far richer sources of DHA and EPA. Canned fish is cheaper and more convenient than fresh fish. Seed oils are fine for short chain omega-3s but the conversion to the useable long chain format is inefficient - can be as low as 10% - you have to take in a lot of flax oil to make a difference so don't rely on that. If you are vegetarian or don't eat fish on a daily basis you might consider omega-enriched eggs or a marine algae supplement. There are modest amounts of short chain omega-3s in walnuts and pumpkin seeds, borage oil is rich in GLA the only omega-6 with anti-inflammatory properties.

Bright and dark coloured fruits and veggies, teas and cocoa, many herbs and spices contain compounds with powerful anti-inflammatory properties, but bear in mind portion sizes - you really won't get much benefit from spices unless you start eating a lot of curries. The anti-inflammatory compounds in plant foods are often polyphenols/ antioxidants if you have heard of these.

You might ask your doctor about a course of freeze dried probiotic capsules (beneficial bacteria) if you have any digestive issues or have been eating an imbalanced, restrictive or less than nutritious diet. There is a relationship between healthy gut flora and inflammation.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Oily fish for the long chain omega-3s! Salmon and trout are good but sardines/ pilchards, herrings and mackerel are far richer sources of DHA and EPA. Canned fish is cheaper and more convenient than fresh fish. Seed oils are fine for short chain omega-3s but the conversion to the useable long chain format is inefficient - can be as low as 10% - so you have to take in a lot of flax oil to make a difference so don't rely on that. If you are vegetarian or don't eat fish on a daily basis you might consider omega-enriched eggs or a marine algae supplement. There are modest amounts of short chain omega-3s in walnuts and pumpkin seeds, borage oil is rich in GLA the only omega-6 with anti-inflammatory properties.

Bright and dark coloured fruits and veggies, teas and cocoa, many herbs and spices contain compounds with powerful anti-inflammatory properties, but bear in mind portion sizes - you really won't get much benefit from spices unless you start eating a lot of curries. The anti-inflammatory compounds in plant foods are often polyphenols/ antioxidants if you have heard of these.

You might ask your doctor about a course of freeze dried probiotic capsules (beneficial bacteria) if you have any digestive issues or have been eating an imbalanced, restrictive or less than nutritious diet. There is a relationship between healthy gut flora and inflammation.
    Why? What is it doing?
  • californiansun
    Options
    Can somebody please give me a link to, or describe how foods are inflammatory and how it affects you.
    Thanks.

Look up Dr. Weil anti-inflammatory diet. It'll explain there.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    ibuprofen
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm about to embark on a paleo autoimmune approach. A *lot* of it is geared toward anti-inflammatory foods which is very important to me. Feel free to add me if you want! PaleoMom.com has some amazing information for starters - I highly recommend checking out some of her articles.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump