I think I'm too fat to run right now.....

Options
I'm a former runner. I've done some 5K's and used to run 5-8 miles a couple times a week. That was just 2 1/2 years ago. Now... I weigh 50 pounds more than I did back than and everytime I try to run, my back and hips KILL ME!!! Just last week I bought new asic shoes & walked 10 min, jogged 1, walked 4, jogged 1, finished by walking. The next day I could barely walk due to back and hip pain. Do than 2 days later I repeated it only I added in a third 1 min jog.... same thing. MAJOR pain the next 2 days.....

If I just walk.... no pain..... I think I'm just too big to run. :frown: :sad: :brokenheart:

Maybe lose 20 pounds and try again? Or keep fighting it & hope my body adjusts?

What are your thoughts? Especially from big girl runners. :)

Replies

• BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh but I'm 5'5 and started this week at 217. I also started the C25K program this week as well and am loving it. Besides not stretching for long enough, I've experienced no major pain. I also did the program when i was about 20 pounds lighter back in the day and was good then too. Perhaps go see a chiropractor if you are having major back and hip pain?
  • sherrylwilson
    sherrylwilson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago and my back hurt for a couple of weeks. A runner friend had told me that I might be tense when I run and that chould be causing it. I think she was right, I really tried to relax when I ran and the pain went away.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's a tough call; I used to run quite a bit between the ages of 15-20. I am now 30 and 100 lbs heavier!

My problem is that I tend to try to run as hard as I did when I was a bit younger.

I tried to run about 4 months ago and like you, my back flared up. I have been using an elliptical machine for the past three months (up to level 15) - I ran last week and felt pretty good minus the calf strain that I sustained!

Low impact exercise like the elliptical is a good way to transition back into running....
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    It's a tough call; I used to run quite a bit between the ages of 15-20. I am now 30 and 100 lbs heavier!

My problem is that I tend to try to run as hard as I did when I was a bit younger.

I tried to run about 4 months ago and like you, my back flared up. I have been using an elliptical machine for the past three months (up to level 15) - I ran last week and felt pretty good minus the calf strain that I sustained!

Low impact exercise like the elliptical is a good way to transition back into running....

I would say this ^^^^ We have some at our gym that are supposed to be if you were sprinting, they give you a heck of a workout I end up sweating buckets but easy on my knees!

I would also say, try to find a local running store...I went to one here and paid a little more for my shoes but they put me on a treadmill and recorded my stride and then gave me the right shoes. I would have thought I would need super supportive shoes but they put me in the middle and I have been happy with the shoes they had selected for me. (I know not everyone has that option, I live in Portland, OR so many local places.)
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your pelvis adjusted by a chiropractor? It might help. Just a thought!
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you sure Asics are the right shoe for your current stride? If you haven't done it at this weight, You should consider going to a running store, getting your stride checked out, and a shoe recommendation. I started running when I was over 300 pounds and the only thing that ever caused me major pain is my knees, but they are a preexisting problem. I may not be the fastest runner out there, but I've done 5k, 10ks, and even ran/walked half marathons.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, something else is going on that is causing you pain. I am CERTAINLY not an expert, but I know a lot of runners. Some very heavy people who run without injury or problem, and some 'normal' weight people I know can't run - bad knees, bad back, other ailments, etc. and keep fit doing other activities like jump rope, lifting etc.

I would recommend seeing a doctor that specializes in sports injuries if possible. There might be a remedy that will get you back running without pain.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh but I'm 5'5 and started this week at 217. I also started the C25K program this week as well and am loving it. Besides not stretching for long enough, I've experienced no major pain. I also did the program when i was about 20 pounds lighter back in the day and was good then too. Perhaps go see a chiropractor if you are having major back and hip pain?

Couch to 5k is awesome!!! I completed it this past summer and it worked really well for me. Before the program, I was never a runner and was also pretty out of shape, I couldn't run to save my life LOL.

As long as I keep it up and run 3 days a week, I continue to consistently lose weight, which I think has also made it easier on my knees. They used to bother me but lately they've been a lot better.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I played full court basketball at 5'10" 280 the first time I lost weight at 25 y/o. I'd lost 60 pounds in 2 months of playing ball at my college rec center for 2-4 hours a day.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    maybe your just out of shape...so just walk 1 mile couple days a week for a month then start running a little at a time or do the c25k program...also if your back is still hurting maybe you need to go see a dr and they can help you out before you start running.
  • vader0677
    Options
    cut back on your calorie intake....take in enough calories for weight loss. walk for the first month at a good pace until you drop about 15-20lbs. the first 10lbs you lose is mostly water weight. they slowly add intervals on the treadmill. start off slow walking then speed up to a faster pace after 2 or 5 min to warm your body up then try a light jog for 1-2 min then back down to a steady walking spead. the pounds will drop. i have lost 40 in 4 months.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I said I would never run for exercise...I am now doing C25K....I llok like the rhinoceraus from Jumanji who is trailing the the stampede...But I am doing it I am 6'1 and 257....Like to lift weights so it looks like an overweight gorilla trying to run...lol Don't give up
  • Ktewson
    Ktewson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first tried running. I think part of my problem was that my muscles just weren't strong enough to handle the strain on my joints. I walked instead, but I walked a TON. . . I walked 100 miles in the month of October. At first, a 5 mile walk would leave me basically broken, but over the month it got to the point where I could walk 6-10 miles without pain. Now when I jog, it wears me out quickly (I'm still really big) but it doesn't HURT like that.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. I did c25k summer 2011 at 245lbs with my only pain being (undiagnosed, but textbook symptoms) plantar fasciitis.

But this is different from what your body is used to. Perhaps so. Stretching? Are the support muscles just plain out of shape -- try to build them back up again. Finally, I *am* a big fan of my chiropractor -- one who I've know for years, and my friend's family had seen for 20+ years before I started seeing him, so I definitely trust him.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all of the responses so sorry it's being repeated. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes. Apparently, (yes, I need to do this myself) they will put you into a type of shoe designed for your type of foot which should alleviate pain. Apparently, it can be a tad expensive, but worth it, or so I've heard.

BTW, I find the treadmill to be very helpful rather than pavement. The pounding on the pavement is way too hard on me right now (at least until I get new shoes). Treadmill is quite forgiving. And by no means am I skinny. I started jogging at 220lbs at 5'5" tall.
  • ThePartyGoblin
    Options
    You could always start with speed walking. Baby steps, you know.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. If the dr says it is OK for you to run then head to the nearest running shoe store. We have Running Wild here.

They will look at your stride and pick out shoes. Mine turned out to be last years style and half price

I then picked up C25K program for free on my IPod and proceeded to train.

I am learning in rehab we have to forget what we used to do, and do what we can! It may be self defeating to try to run yet, but don't give up! I have a few friends on here older than 35 that lost 100+ pounds and now run marathons? They started somewhere!

Good luck!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the proper stretches to stretch those muscles? I'm 6ft and ran my first 5k at 300lbs with no issues. Before that I had some knee discomfort but the proper stretches fixed that.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is something besides your weight.. I started running at over 300 pounds. I can't run long bc of lung issues (genetic, not weight-related). Usually 3-4 minutes, but I never feel any pain. Of course everyone is different and maybe the added weight is enough to cause you pain.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I weighed 225. I lost over 45 pounds over 9 months by running and doing classes at the gym, along with watching what I ate. I had NEVER run before and started out slowly. I now have run one 10 mile race in 110 minutes, but that's the longest I have ever run. Keep it up, slowly. Good luck with the pain.