is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• liltrubl
    liltrubl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't feel pressure to be "skinny". I'm doing this because I don't want to be fat and unhealthy anymore. I often tell people I'll be happy if I can get down to 165, my high school weight, because even though I was about ten pounds overweight and a little bit chubby, I could do whatever I wanted. I didn't have to buy two seats on an airplane, nobody looked at me with disdain, I could go on zip lines, I could climb rock walls, I didn't have to worry about seats at theatres and baseball parks, and I was never out of breath or sore. That's my goal - to be healthy. Sure, I'd love to hit my goal weight, get toned, and look absolutely awesome in a bathing suit or dress, but that's for ME, nobody else. When I weighed 165, I didn't give a rat's behind what anyone thought of me.

Amen sister! I just took a plane and for the first didn't have to ask for a seatbelt extender, living this life is about being able to live life to the fullest
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    really, is it worth all the time and effort that women put into eating foods they don't really love, exercising when they'd rather not, and just not being truly happy to be "skinny?" what do men/women really think about skinny women, and what do you women think about society and feeling like you must achieve a certain body image to be considered attractive? do you wish you could just eat and not exercise and let your body do what it wants and be happy like that, or do you feel content with eating diet foods or restricting calories, daily exercise, and feeling the pressure to be skinny?

this is not meant to offend anyone of any body type, i'm just curious as to what you all think! society frustrates me sometimes. :p

Skinny, no. Healthy, yes. I also don't eat foods I don't like, but I genuinely enjoy most fruits and vegetables, so that helps. I started out not liking exercise, but I've got it down to a 30 min. affair, each day, and I feel like crap if I don't do it, so I really don't mind. Really, though, I still eat what I want, I just limit the "junk" food.
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goal is.
    if you can achieve it without starving yourself or putting yourself in health problems, then go for it, but know your limit. maybe during the process you would want to change your goal. then change it. it's not a fixed goal.

it will worth it in the end I believe.

for me, I hope it will worth it haha but idk, I don't think I'm able to reach my goal, so I just do my best. exercising is always worth it though.
  • sandkrain
    sandkrain Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think being skinny is worth it, and that was my goal when I started this endeavor.

I do think that being fit, healthy, confident, strong and more emotionally balanced is definitely worth it.

I believe that being free of the shame and guilt I felt when I would binge and attempt to fix the difficulties in my life by consuming massive amounts of food is worth it.

I believe that the pride and sense of accomplishment, not to mention the endorphin rush, that I get when I accomplish a workout or fitness goal that I never dreamed I would be able to do is worth it.

I believe that my daughter would tell you that having a healthy, active mom who isn't ashamed to attend events and socialize with other parents is worth it.

I believe that being able to do things without worrying about a weight or size limit (horseback riding, amusement park rides, flying on a plane) is worth it.

Would I put forth this much effort simply to be a size that society deems attractive or acceptable? Probably not, but I've learned that there is a lot more to this than a number on a scale or a size on a tag in my jeans.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS ANSWER!! I totally agree with your philosophy!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you're eating food you don't like then you're doing it wrong. Start small and eventually what you like will change, then it's not dieting, it's living.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Been fit and healthy is worth it.

I eat and drink what I want. Of course, fast food and junk food is not what I want so I have no issues in that area.
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    You know, I used to ask the SAME thing! You have to change your mindset. It's not about being skinny. It's about being HEALTHY and STRONG! If you are doing what you're doing to get "skinny", then no it's not worth it!

Reevaluate why you're doing this. Why is this important to you? What will your life be like when you get to your goal!

I'm here to help if you need me! I know exactly how you feel. I was there too. Feel free to add or message me! :)
  • Lori573
    Lori573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    RIGHT ON!!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like reading the argument that I'm sure has started in here lol. All I have to say is NO, it's not worth being unhappy to be "skinny". HOWEVER, it is worth it to make sacrifices in order to be HEALTHY and live a long life.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am not dong this to be skinny, I am doing this to be healthy and improve my quality of life. I want to enjoy all the fun things with my kids, grand kids and friends that being over weight prevents me from doing.. I am enjoying challenging my body and seeing what it is capable of. I never think of my exercise regimen as something I don't really want to do. I like the way it makes me feel.

Like this! :flowerforyou:
  • nievamc5
    Options
    I'm doing this with no end in mind. This is a journey with only one destination: a healthy, fit lifestyle. I eat what I want (sweets, junk, etc.) when I feel like it, but just portioned much better than before. I eat 6 small meals a day. I want to be healthy. When you see people around you under 30 being diagnosed with heart disease, cholesterol, and diabetes...it is a wake up call. We make the choices in life and must live with the consequences. I don't want to be a single-digit size. I don't even want to be 160. I just want to be healthy. I am now able to walk with my students and not get winded, participate in activities with them without the fear of losing my breathe, not be ashamed to tell the attendant at the local airline my weight when I'm traveling, not have to worry if I will need an extender for my airplane seatbelt...little things like that make my choice to live a healthy lifestyle so WORTH it :)
  • Lori573
    Lori573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Let me try this again..Right On, Sunshine! I am not doing this to please others. I am doing this to feel better about myself. From wearing the style of cloths I like to having the energy to play with my grandkids. I also enjoy horseback riding and the more physical things in life. I also find in eating a little healthier, I feel better, have more energy. Do I miss the ice cream? Well, sometimes. But I feel GOOD when I can walk away and know I don't need it and I make the healthy choice. Not saying I am perfect. I fall off the wagon, but I keep climbing right back on. It really is a life choice.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is absolutely worth the food I eat. Then again, I love veggies and healthy food. I also don't give myself cheat days. I have treats when I desire them and work them into my daily calories. So, yeah....being healthy, skinny, whatever you'd like to call it is well worth it.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Trust me, it is.
    I am on my goal weight, I can honestly say i was never happier in my life, it absolutely does have something to do with rising confidence when i look in the mirror.
    When i was overweight i would eat yummy food every day, i did not even appreciate it. Once you get where you want to be, you still get to eat decent amount of food and if you include treats once in a while you will truly enjoy them, more than you did before.
    And you will look great.
    When you get there you will see, it is SO worth it!!!
    <3
  • Jbrandt24
    Jbrandt24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My Aunt has been told she would have to purchase a ticket for a second seat. She was mortified....
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think being skinny is worth it, and that was my goal when I started this endeavor.

I do think that being fit, healthy, confident, strong and more emotionally balanced is definitely worth it.

I believe that being free of the shame and guilt I felt when I would binge and attempt to fix the difficulties in my life by consuming massive amounts of food is worth it.

I believe that the pride and sense of accomplishment, not to mention the endorphin rush, that I get when I accomplish a workout or fitness goal that I never dreamed I would be able to do is worth it.

I believe that my daughter would tell you that having a healthy, active mom who isn't ashamed to attend events and socialize with other parents is worth it.

I believe that being able to do things without worrying about a weight or size limit (horseback riding, amusement park rides, flying on a plane) is worth it.

Would I put forth this much effort simply to be a size that society deems attractive or acceptable? Probably not, but I've learned that there is a lot more to this than a number on a scale or a size on a tag in my jeans.

I love this
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i cannot remember when i had a flat stomache, but for the most part i've always been happy, when i hit 200 lbs, that was it, my breaking point. i had never been more than 170 lbs, and now i'm back down to at least 180. it all matters on how you feel, and to be honest, i dont care about being skiiny, but healthy and i still eat what i want i just dont pig out, and try to work out more often. it makes you feel better!!! when i go back to eating junk food a lot i get sick, and that's because a lot of food out there that's processed and especially fast foods, are just horrible to your body, but i still treat myself in small doses every once in a while, and that's ok. its all about being comfortable wit yourself, but the main goal is just being healthy, and it will go a long way!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    very well put!!!!

If you're eating food you don't like then you're doing it wrong. Start small and eventually what you like will change, then it's not dieting, it's living.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    who wants to be skinny? i want to be healthy! I am not trying to lose weight to "look" good, I am doing it to "feel" good
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    YES IT IS