So confused, ready to kill

Options
2»

Replies

• edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Stop relying on calculators. Take ownership of your body and weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/808325-the-one-truth?hl=the+one+truth#posts-12115942

I am not relying on calculators- just trying to use them as a guide. I am absolutely taking ownership and am asking for guidance from the wealth of experienced folks out there.

i think it's interesting that step one in your process is using a calculator.
  • rsm535
    rsm535 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I started getting serious about all this, about 4 months ago, I tried to get as much information as possible from every source available. All I got was information overload and much if it was conflicting. Some say more carbs, some say less carbs with more protien, etc.. Personally, I tried an "Atkins" style diet for a while. I did lose quite a bit of weight, but for me it wasn't a long term solution. I felt lethargic most of the time. Low carb doesn't work for me.

What does work for me is a balanced diet of lots of veggies, a fair amount of fruits (not fruit juices), lean protien sources such as chicken breast, tuna, occasional lean red meat and pork. Carbs from whole wheat pastas, breads, brown rice, flat breads, ect..

One would think food, weight loss, and energy would be somewhat of an exact science, and in general I suppose it is. But, everyone is different and what works for some, doesn't work for all. Make changes according to what you think, or on advice you think makes sense, give it a week or two. If it works, keep it. If not, try something else.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Using a calculator to find a starting point isn't the same as relying on a calculator for your weight loss journey. Did I come off as abrasive? If so, that wasn't my intention. :smile:
    So what is your actual TDEE?
  • cedarghost
    Options
    Also, could you please define "stalling"? Weight loss is inconsistent at best and depending on what you are calling stalling, you may not need to change anything just yet. I can tell you right now, you aren't eating enough, but depending on how much weight you have to lose, you should be able to way under-eat at the cost of your metabolism and not worry about it for a while.
    You would just be creating a lot of work and some weight gain later when you have to fix your metabolism.

2472 at light exercise and 2786 at moderate exercise.
    That's what I get for your TDEE using the calculator at: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html.
    Even if you were to go 20% below that it would leave you at @2000 or 2288 a day. At somewhere close to that number, you would lose a pound a week.

That being said do you know what your actual TDEE is form logging calories and weight loss, and how long have you been "stalling"? 1350 is not enough for you. It is probably the main reason you feel like your energy is low, and could very well be why you are stalling.
    Ask yourself how long you think you can keep eating 1350 a day without "falling off the wagon". Weight loss is not easy, but it shouldn't be as hard as we can make it by over-depriving ourselves.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • edennew
    Options
    Also, could you please define "stalling"? Weight loss is inconsistent at best and depending on what you are calling stalling, you may not need to change anything just yet. I can tell you right now, you aren't eating enough, but depending on how much weight you have to lose, you should be able to way under-eat at the cost of your metabolism and not worry about it for a while.
    You would just be creating a lot of work and some weight gain later when you have to fix your metabolism.

That's what I get for your TDEE using the calculator at: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html.
    Even if you were to go 20% below that it would leave you at @2000 or 2288 a day. At somewhere close to that number, you would lose a pound a week.

That being said do you know what your actual TDEE is form logging calories and weight loss, and how long have you been "stalling"? 1350 is not enough for you. It is probably the main reason you feel like your energy is low, and could very well be why you are stalling.
    Ask yourself how long you think you can keep eating 1350 a day without "falling off the wagon". Weight loss is not easy, but it shouldn't be as hard as we can make it by over-depriving ourselves.

Thank you for both responses!
    To be honest, I haven't stalled for very long, but I did gain 2 pounds inexplicably and have held on to them for days. this was not following high sodium intake. I have been dieting for most of my adult life. I have found in the past that keeping my calories at 1500 and exercising moderately keep me at maintenance. I gain weight at 2000 calories. Why? I have no idea. Maybe at 43 years of age and after so many diets, I have an incredibly slow metabolism.
    The point of my post was that I want to find a reliable sweet spot where I lose consistently and I want the damn calculators to be at least close! I am working damn hard and I would like to eat more but am afraid of gaining. The truth is, I could find a calculator to fit whatever answer I wanted to get. I need to be patient and play with my calories and exercise to find that place that feels right.
  • edennew
    Options
    I'd just use the MFP calculator...it's just as good as any other. I'd also do more cardio, and less weight lifting if losing fat is what you are after.

MFP put me at 1290/ day. Seems awfully low.
  • edennew
    Options

I did this one and it put me at 1596 cals- 306 more than MFP. That's why I'm confused.
  • edennew
    Options
    some calculators include your exercise calories and some don't. if you use mfp and put lightly active and then eat exercise calories on top of that you should continue your 2lb per week weight loss.

I paid attention to what they did and did not count so that's not the issue.
  • edennew
    Options
    Are you giving yourself any rest days?

Not consistently, but my walks are 30 minutes and although they get my heart rate up, they aren't hardcore.
  • cedarghost
    Options

Thank you for both responses!
    To be honest, I haven't stalled for very long, but I did gain 2 pounds inexplicably and have held on to them for days. this was not following high sodium intake. I have been dieting for most of my adult life. I have found in the past that keeping my calories at 1500 and exercising moderately keep me at maintenance. I gain weight at 2000 calories. Why? I have no idea. Maybe at 43 years of age and after so many diets, I have an incredibly slow metabolism.
    The point of my post was that I want to find a reliable sweet spot where I lose consistently and I want the damn calculators to be at least close! I am working damn hard and I would like to eat more but am afraid of gaining. The truth is, I could find a calculator to fit whatever answer I wanted to get. I need to be patient and play with my calories and exercise to find that place that feels right.
    Thats exactly what you need to do. I have been at the same weight for 3 1/2 weeks. I'm not going to worry about it until I hit about 6 weeks. I know it gets frustrating, but sometimes we have to hang in there and tough it out. Sometimes we have to make small adjustments and then wait them out. That sucks, but that is the way it is. Luckily you have plenty of people here to support you!
  • Ofaatu
    Ofaatu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We have pretty much the same stats. Except I am 38. I stalled for 5 weeks, (at 1200) and only started losing again when I upped my calories to 1700 according to that spreadsheet on the road map. Took just over a week once I started consistently eating 1700 for the weight to see the scales move down again.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'd just use the MFP calculator...it's just as good as any other. I'd also do more cardio, and less weight lifting if losing fat is what you are after.

MFP put me at 1290/ day. Seems awfully low.

SIGH. yes, that is low. Weight lifting ..totally burns fat; totally maintains and builds muscle (dependent on training and nutrition) that requires/burns more calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrsbigmack/view/finding-the-sweet-spot-452184