Labels! Do you read them?

Options

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I started reading labels when I was pregnant with my daughter 22 years ago and never stopped. I want to know what the ingredents are. One, I want to buy a quality product rather than something that is just filler. And two, there are certain things that I avoid. It used to be just MSG, HFCS and hydrogenated oils, but now because of allergies I have to be very careful.

What does being thin have to do with it? People are ridculous and should mind their own damn business.
  • spangey13
    Options
    I read them to make sure, or to check:

Calories per 100g
    where it is made
    Bacon is free range and made in NZ
    Eggs are free range
    No MSG in stuff like sauces or chips (exception = curly fries)
    Peanut butter, no added salt
    Jam, percentage of fruit vs sugar
    Tinned products = tins made in NZ (apparently some countries have shoddy regulations around tins)

I think that's generally it.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The ingredients list is what I read first. Then the macros ratio after
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The cat in your profile pic is the most famous cat on FB right now...he's not yours, is he?

Tardar sauce is, unfortunately, not my cat.

However, I love him and his sad little face. He is my hero.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I read labels all the time. For about every 3 items I pick up, only 1 ends up in my cart. There are many reasons why :)
  • afoz1990
    afoz1990 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lactose Intolerance & a Shellfish allergy require me to read labels! So many random things are "made in a factory that also contains shell fish" and I don't want to run the risk of landing in the ER or dead! Just not worth it! I don't care about the weird looks I'm bettering myself and keeping myself safe!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

What does being thin have to do with it? People are ridculous and should mind their own damn business.

When people look at me, they think I am reading the labels because I am looking at the calories and don't want to eat much. When I say, I don't care about the calories but the ingredient list sometimes I get the "It might not be good for you but is delicious" It never happens at places like whole foods or other natural grocers.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Most of what I purchase at present doesn't have an ingredients list so no need to read the back - vegetables, fruit, plain meat, eggs etc. Everything else I read the ingredients and the fat content (old habits die hard!).
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    liese and tulips must be Dutch? Like me originally?
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I don't see why someone at a store feels its their business to comment why you are easing the back of anything. Allergies are everywhere. I'd have told them exactly where to go.

And yes i read labels, it's going into your body!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am curious to see what type of information is important to you when reading labels. Twice this weekend I was told at different stores a version of the following: "Why are you looking in the back?! You shouldn't look at the calories, just eat it! or You look to skinny and need to eat something so you shouldn't worry if it is bad for you" . This has happened in the past too. I then explained my reason for reading labels and all I get is a blank stare. Here are my reasons for reading labels:

1) Ingredients: I like natural and preferably organic products so I scan the list of ingredients to see if there is anything I don't like.
    2) Quality of carbs and fats. I am not afraid of either carbs or fats but I want to make sure they are the good quality type (whole grains, omega 3, etc)
    3) Carb to protein ratio.

I read the more now..more for serving size.

Now is your turn, why do you read them. If you don't, why not? Thanks
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In addition to a lot of the reasons everyone listed here, I first got into reading labels (before I started watching what I eat) because I am a vegetarian.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Yep I read labels.... Always have and always will! However what I look at more has changed considerably! I look at ingredients, fat, calories, carbs and protuen! Recently added sodium to my label scan!! I want to know what is going in my body and what I'm feeding my family! Too many processed foods with crap nowadays!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Calories, serving size, and as time goes on, I'm becoming more interested in the sugar content. I'm also finding I much prefer sugar - and will sometimes put a food back if it's got high fructose syrup or whatever in there.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I look for low calories, low sugar, low fat, and ingredients that I can recognise as food :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Nothing worse than a "meal for one" have 1.5-2 servings in it.

That pisses me off!!! :explode:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes I do. The first two things I look at are calories and protein.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I read them obsessively, but I'm allergic to onions so I have to.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

When people look at me, they think I am reading the labels because I am looking at the calories and don't want to eat much. When I say, I don't care about the calories but the ingredient list sometimes I get the "It might not be good for you but is delicious" It never happens at places like whole foods or other natural grocers.

I usually tell nosy people I have an "allergy" and to mind their own damn business. But really I'm checking for healthy ingredients. People are so judgmental