I hate exercise...

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    weight lifting. staci loves it. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

she's 131 on the left, and 142 on the right. yeah, muscle weighs more then fat.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What about something low impact like an elliptical or an arc trainer. When I first started out I used these, because I get on them and plug my headphones into the machine and watch TV or streamed Netflix on my phone. It was a huge method of distraction, but it got me to stick with it and not mind exercise as much. Also, you can get a decent calorie burn if you up the resistance on these machines. Also, try swimming. It's a solo exercise, and I found it to be incredibly relaxing and easy to do.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Most of my life I have loved exercise and suddenly I hated it. I found any excuse not to work out. I'm back to being a bit of a gym rat now though. I have a few ideas to run by you:

1. Forget the spin class, consider bicycling, loads of fun and easy to build your endurance. I consider it the essential ingredient to my ability to lose over 50 pounds since July 1st.
    2. Get a puppy/dog, start with walking, consider moving up to jogging. It helps you and your dog connect as well as get both of you up and moving.
    3. Try to mix it up, try a few things, In think the diversity of exercise my keep you more enchanted and seem less of a grind.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    you must have never tried crossfit :love:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    weight lifting. staci loves it. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

^^^^This!

Try lifting! It's seriously the ****!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I saw that story posted on Facebook... that's awesome.

There really are so many kinds of activities. There has to be one you can enjoy...
  • 1TenaciousGirl
    Options
    Try out lifting. I love it. Since lifting I have made major strides in body image and weight loss. The pump from lifting cannot be compared to anything else. Gaining in strength feels so empowering. It is worth it.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    There has to be something you like! You just haven't found it yet! I would join the Y and take every class they offer until you find it. From yoga or pilates, to TRX suspension/resistance. Or maybe join a sports team/league. Take karate classes. Kickboxing. Try doing Crossfit or R.I.P.P.E.D. (R.I.P.P.E.D. is super fun!) Does light jogging on a track with even terrain still scare you? What about running on a treadmill? If you stretch well and listen to your body running indoors has minimal risk of injury, no more than any other workout. I wonder if maybe you dont like to exercise because deep in your heart nothing compares to running. Conquer that fear and enjoy some form of the thing you once loved! Just an idea. I'm done being Dr. Phil now.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options

She looks fit and healthy. However, 1# of muscle= 1# of fat. Muscle just makes you look better.
  • sheleenalucas
    Options
    I love my Wii fit. I play a lot of the games, and it has a two player mode so you can compete with your kids, and have a lot of fun doing it.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Options
    you must have never tried crossfit :love:

Amen to this! ♥♥♥CF!!
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    And if you want a group atmosphere, maybe a local bootcamp? Crossfit gyms are pretty fun too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

She looks fit and healthy. However, 1# of muscle= 1# of fat. Muscle just makes you look better.

i know one pound of muscle is the same as one pound of fat... i'm just saying volume wise... just, never mind.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Options

i know one pound of muscle is the same as one pound of fat... i'm just saying volume wise... just, never mind.

Don't get mad! I wasn't being mean. I'm not like that.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Jillian Michaels DVDs. It's like having a personal trainer in your own home without the cost. Huge variety of workouts in all the different DVDs she offers---everything from kickboxing to weights to heavy cardio. I would start with 30 Day Shred. It's like 25 minutes, so really fast and easy to work into any schedule. And it has AMAZING results. It will motivate you to KEEP working out and do her more and more advanced programs. I went from a 251 lb couch potato and lost 79 lbs so far (29 lbs left to go) in 5 1/2 months, largely from Jillian Michaels workouts and just walking. Now I've progressed to running 5 miles at a time and doing Insanity. Trust me, NO ONE not even you hated to work out as much as I did before I started 5 1/2 months ago. I got out of breath walking from my car in the parking lot walking into the mall. Now I can do anything and am an exercise junkie--like another poster said, if I don't do something by afternoon, I am in a very very bad mood and get very nervous. Jillian Michaels produces QUICK very strong results, which are what motivated me to keep continuing to workout.
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    People sometimes overthink exercise. Exercise is anything and everything that you like to do - how about roller blading? tennis? walk at the beach? Maybe you need something to challenge you. Sign up for a 5k fun run, a badminton tournament.. something that you need to stick to! :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I never much cared for most exercise, and I get easily bored. I've found that music doesnt do anything for me, but listening to a book (I have the kindle that does text to speech and turns any book to an audio book) or watching a commercial free show works for me. If I have to do the treadmill at home, I ind a show on one of my iPad apps, otherwise I generally use the kindle.
  • sterwigl
    Options
    I HAVE to have my mp3 player going with pumped up dance music and/or rock music to keep me motivated when I exercise. I have to multitask while exercising or I get SO bored and cannot stop thinking about all the other things I would or could be doing. Some examples of how I have multitasked: #1--I take my kids to the park. They play on playground, while I walk the track and talk on the phone to my girlfriend for some catch up chatting. #2--I "bust a move" to heavy music on the elliptical, as I look in the mirror and keep picturing my thinner self. #3--Take a book (pleasure or for homework) and read while riding the bike (or other machine you can do while reading). If I did not do some combination of these things, I would be in the same boat as you. Some of the other people had some really good suggestions though, too. Good luck! I have 65 pounds to lose.....long way to go!
  • Muscles_Curves
    Options
    I never much cared for most exercise, and I get easily bored. I've found that music doesnt do anything for me, but listening to a book (I have the kindle that does text to speech and turns any book to an audio book) or watching a commercial free show works for me. If I have to do the treadmill at home, I ind a show on one of my iPad apps, otherwise I generally use the kindle.

Wow! That's new. May give that a try.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Then, don't exercise - just walk places. Get some music that you enjoy (or audiobooks) and walk to the shops or anywhere else instead of driving or taking the bus. That way you aren't "exercising", you are just getting somewhere.