Ketogenic Diet

Options
I have been hearing a lot about this ketogenic diet. How does it work and does it really help you burn fat quicker?

Replies

• Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    you cut your carbs to low levels i eat about 20-30 grams of carbs and more protein ,some people lose about 4 or 5 lbs a week
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    F##K KETO its a fad!
  • Assassins_Angel88
    Options
    And exceedingly dangerous!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    F##K KETO its a fad!

yep.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about this ketogenic diet. How does it work and does it really help you burn fat quicker?

It works by changing your metabolism to primarily burn a fat/ketone mixture instead of dietary glucose (i.e. wot comes from carbohydrate).

WIll it burn fat *significantly* quicker in the long term? No.

Because the body will adjust to the new fuel mix so ...

Can you put weight on doing it? Yes, of course.

I've done it, took liberties with the calories and put weight on. I kind of bought into the whole carbs/insulin/fat thing ...

Going generally low carb helped me to recalibrate my sense of appetite and 'sweet tooth' but going into ketosis wasn't necessary or desirable for me. No metabolic advantage, might as well work an occasional mince pie into the plan eh?

Lyle McDonald's site is worth a read if your interested, he did a couple of books on ketogenic dieting but concedes they don't work any better for fat loss than other plans that restrict calories:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

It was an interesting experiment but I'm back to moderation in all things right now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Big fan of Lyle McDonald.

I do not believe there is any reason for anyone who is not very lean already to go on something as extreme as a keto diet. (And the way Lyle plans it there are strategic refeeds based on BF% not indefinite low carb)

The primary reason a lot of people will do well on keto diets is that it forces them to stop eating a lot of processed foods which are very easy to overeat (and hence over consume cals) and forces them to rely more on protein intake. I haven't heard of too many people going on chicken/steak binges compared to donuts & icecream :laugh:
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options

It works as has been described above - typically no more than 20-30g of carbohydrates a day. It's just considered a very-low-carbohydrate diet. The good thing I find about ketosis is that you can cut calories without getting hungry... well... at all!

Whether it burns fat faster than other diets is not something I can answer - but I feel like it works for me quite well.

The only negative side effect I find is the smell of acetone on your breath! Carry some chewing gum!

Not just dangerous, but *exceedingly* dangerous??
    Would you care to tell us why it's dangerous?
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've run a cyclical ketogenic diet a few different times for cutting. I like it because I don't feel as hungry with all of the fat in the diet. I have found it more convenient to count calories as well for two reasons. 1) More of my meals are simpler and easy to judge calorie content. 2) Because I fill up on fats, my meals tend to be smaller and more spread out.

A ketogenic diet is something you want to get right. If you don't have your macronutrients dialed in, you can suffer energy crashes and lathargy. If you venture down that road, pick up 'The ketogenic diet' by Lyle McDonald. There is also a group for keto dieters on this site. The 'keto' subsection on bodybuilding.com is also a very good resource.

Many people have different reasons for liking or disliking the keto diet. In the end, it still comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Keto isn't a 'magic pill' or anything.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is something you want to get right.

I would agree with this statement. It doesn't require tonnes of forward planning, but it does require that you get your macros right and that you track them meticulously.

I use 5% carbs, 60% fats, 35% protein. I'm currently cutting and my first week has give me some real promising results
    In the end, it still comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Keto isn't a 'magic pill' or anything.

This must be emphasised again - If it wasn't for counting calories, the promising results I got would not have been as pronounced.

As an aside, I must mention that if you like to drink alcohol, a ketogenic diet makes for a cheap night out! I don't know why (perhaps someone here knows?) - But ketogenic diets turn me into a drinking lightweight!
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    OP, may I suggest doing research on your own and not asking for unqualified and way un-informed people to answer a serious question such as which lifestyle change is right for you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    OP, may I suggest doing research on your own and not asking for unqualified and way un-informed people to answer a serious question such as which lifestyle change is right for you.

This is part of research isn't it?

Gather ideas, opinions and experiences from everyone then go off and find what is right for you?

What is your take on Keto after your research?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It will not result in substantially better body-fat loss if we're comparing diets with matched protein intakes and matched calorie intakes.

That being said I do not think they're "dangerous" if done correctly.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options

genius...please do not ask people on this forum for medical advice
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

genius...please do not ask people on this forum for medical advice

Asking if a ketogenic diet results in faster weight loss is medical advice?
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see anything wrong with this post The OP replied with something along the lines of 'I was misinformed and I need to learn more about carbs.' I would always hope people will consult their doctor before making a large lifestyle change, but we're all here to learn more. ô.o

Yah my carbs are at 170 and I'm insulin resistant, the kind of carbs I eat though have made all the difference in the world. :)
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    Big fan of Lyle McDonald.

I do not believe there is any reason for anyone who is not very lean already to go on something as extreme as a keto diet. (And the way Lyle plans it there are strategic refeeds based on BF% not indefinite low carb)

The primary reason a lot of people will do well on keto diets is that it forces them to stop eating a lot of processed foods which are very easy to overeat (and hence over consume cals) and forces them to rely more on protein intake. I haven't heard of too many people going on chicken/steak binges compared to donuts & icecream :laugh:

Yup never ever binged on my chicken!!! lol
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use 5% carbs, 60% fats, 35% protein. I'm currently cutting and my first week has give me some real promising results

As an aside, I must mention that if you like to drink alcohol, a ketogenic diet makes for a cheap night out! I don't know why (perhaps someone here knows?) - But ketogenic diets turn me into a drinking lightweight!

Yup, it's really about the macros. Keto is a high fat, adequate protein, low carb diet. It's not hard to get right but still requires independent research to make sure you're a) hitting the right macros and b) not afraid of eating fat. Some people try to do low-far AND low-carb and up their protein at the same time. If you're going to do keto, do some research and do it right. Like I said on your wall, feel free to message me and I'll give you more info.

Also, true on the alcohol thing. Ketoers get drunk much easier.

You might get more informed answers in a keto-specific MFP forum. It's not a well-understood diet for the most part and you won't get a well-rounded answer from people that haven't researched it. It has numerous health benefits including but not limited to reducing/eliminating seizure activity in epileptics, reducing or eliminating diabetes, and stopping or preventing cancer (I know from experience that this will not cure stage 4 lung cancer, but studies have found it beneficial for the treatment of cancer). It certainly has its place and it's certainly not a fad.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    F##K KETO its a fad!

Explain and provide sources that proves it is a fad????????????

A ketogenic way of eating is in NO way a fad. Doctors are using ketogenic ways of eating more and more to treat kidney disease and epliepsy. It is also one of the best ways for people that have Metabolic issues to live a healthy lifestyle.

Given the fact that most of us go into a ketogenic state when we sleep (hence stronger smelling urine and funky morning breath) I would say it is a very normal body function and not some fad as you are trying to say.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

What a joke..............what is so dangerous about being in ketosis?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Ketosis for the body means fat-burning (hip hip hooray!). For the brain, it means a lower seizure risk and a better environment for neuronal recovery and repair.