Are they just lucky?

Options
I always wondered about tiny/skinny people who can eat whatever they want and not gain an ounce. I understand in this world(mfp) that cals in being less than cals out makes you lose weight, doesn't matter how that happens really...it's just the science of it. But what about someone who eats whatever they want....say pizza, ice cream, bacon, etc etc. and never gains weight. Does it mean they just have a high metabolism? They are just lucky?? lol What is it?!

I see friends and family that don't have to try, they eat what they want and don't have to worry about counting cals and here I am stuck counting everything I eat for the rest of my life just to maintain a decent weight. They eat whatever and stay skinny as rails. Grrrr.

Ok, I am done with the pity party now.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find those skinny people don't eat as much as you think they do and that they are very active. I get accused of eating all day long but my daily intake is actually about 1300 calories. There are very few people in the world who have a super metabolism. Most people are within 5% of each other whether fat or thin.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's about lifestyle and moderation. My dad has always been very slim - but he doesn't eat very much, and walks miles every day. He's admitted that he has absolutely no idea what it's like to know you need to lose weight, and to have to learn better habits - but in fairness, he's been supportive of first of all my mum and now me. (And bless him, he gave me what I think was both the oddest, most awkward, and best compliment I've had: 'I never thought particularly that you needed to lose weight, but you do look so much better now!' Awww! From someone who doesn't do any kind of emotion stuff, that was good!)
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that I know skinny doesn't equate healthy. To me, healthy is more important and whether or not someone is skinny or not, they may not be in the best health if they are eating nothing but processed/junk food. But again, this was just a silly little rant for the day. :embarassed:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find those skinny people don't eat as much as you think they do and that they are very active. I get accused of eating all day long but my daily intake is actually about 1300 calories. There are very few people in the world who have a super metabolism. Most people are within 5% of each other whether fat or thin.

While I can't quote the numbers I definitely agree with the bold.

And yes some people have medical conditions that may make things a bit more difficult, but not nearly as frequently or to the magnitude that is often stated.

And following this you are going to see several posts citing examples where someone knows an uncle or a roommate who can apparently eat all they want and they don't get off the couch and they are thin, but in every example you won't see that intake or expenditure was tracked.

EDIT: See?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It means they don't overeat, plain and simple.

Pizza, ice cream, bacon, etc do not make you fat. Overeating does.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    They typically move more. Or they don't eat as much as you think they do (aka, eating once a day, etc).

No, no one is just lucky. Some people just have better metabolisms - especially when young. Mine was a raging machine until I hit 30.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I used to be a skinny person who could eat whatever I wanted and not gain, but I was also a fairly active person - on my feet all day - and didn't have great eating habits. Someone might have seen me chowing down on chocolate or pizza, but they didn't see that I skipped breakfast or had a tiny lunch. Once I got a desk job, I gained a little. Once I got a husband and ate regular meals, I gained more.

Now, I'm a fit person who eats pretty much whatever I want, eating lots more than when I was young (I'm maintaining at about 2300 calories), but I lift heavy weights three times a week and run three times a week... It's not luck that makes me able to eat this way, it's because I put in the work. I enjoy exercising, but anyone who says it's just luck doesn't see the sweaty gross mess I am when I come home from a run. :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

yes, this... although my calorie intake is slightly higher then 1300 calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some of them are just lucky. I was for most of my life. Not so much anymore. :-(
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, but after my third child I had to start being careful. I am the youngest of 7 children, so I had the benefit of seeing what my future held for me if I continued eating unhealthy, I am the only one not seriously overweight. My oldest brother is 52 he weighs 425 lbs.
  • rml_16
    Options
    They typically move more. Or they don't eat as much as you think they do (aka, eating once a day, etc).

No, no one is just lucky. Some people just have better metabolisms - especially when young. Mine was a raging machine until I hit 30.

I used to never exercise and lived on pizza, McDonald's (two cheeseburgers, large fries and a Coke to drink -- and NOT my only meal for the day) and Little Debbie snacks and I weighed 110 pounds.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    My husband has always been thin, and he could eat a 2L container of ice cream. I saw someone say that a thin person doesn't eat as much as they seem - but trust me... my husband sure does! At least 2500 calories a day and probably more. My sister in law is the same way. But, I suppose that will catch up to them eventually as they get older. He's only 25.

Anyway. It's possible to be thin and be unhealthy. It's called "skinny fat". Your body can be terribly unhealthy even though you appear to be very thin. What's most important is health and treating and feeding your body right! :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    As some people have already stated, you don't know the exact eating or exercise habits of those you observe to be "naturally skinny".

No one is just lucky. There are other trends at work.
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I read a study recently that the difference between a low and high metabolism is usually around only 200 calories per day. So, the idea that there are skinny people out there who can eat ice cream and burgers all day is mostly false. Maybe only if they're still a growing teenager!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about tiny/skinny people who can eat whatever they want and not gain an ounce.

I'm marrying one. He's 6'2" and fights to weigh 150 (if he eats like he wants he weight 140-145). He never exercises purposefully, but he does walk at his job a lot, helps me around the house and works on his car. Other than that, he is 100% sedentary.

The things I learned about him:
    1. He forgets to eat a lot so when he does eat it looks like a ton of food. In reality, he's still under his calorie TDEE by A LOT.
    2. He has high blood pressure and could get diabetes in the future.
    3. He also can't run a mile and walking a mile or two on the weekend is shocking for him. I can easily walk 6-10 miles in a day and aside from the blisters on my feet, I'm still raring to go.
    4. He gets a surprising amount of exercise from doing his hobby's. We track it once and he burned 1500 extra in one day just from all the walking at work and lifting of heavy parts in his car.

In reality, I struggle every day with my weight, but I am 100 times more healthy than my skinny pretty boy. I have low blood pressure, a slow heart rate (about 65 bmp at rest), excellent cardiovascular scores, I can walk for forever, run faster than needed to pass a highschool fitness test, and I never run out of energy.

Don't feel bad, feel the schadenfreude.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

While I can't quote the numbers I definitely agree with the bold.

And yes some people have medical conditions that may make things a bit more difficult, but not nearly as frequently or to the magnitude that is often stated.

And following this you are going to see several posts citing examples where someone knows an uncle or a roommate who can apparently eat all they want and they don't get off the couch and they are thin, but in every example you won't see that intake or expenditure was tracked.

EDIT: See?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Read the article.

For a personal anecdote: My dad appears to eat all the time and yet never gains weight. What people don't see is that he is very active and doesn't snack too much. So if he has a big lunch or dinner, he may not eat again till the next meal. And eating more is part of social outings...whereas he doesn't eat as much at home.

Moral of the story: What you see isn't always what you get.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options

so so very true. Really think about it. I know a lot of thin people who eat junk, but they pick at it. A cookie here, a few chips there, etc... It always looks like they are eating crap, but they eat very little of it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    As some people have already stated, you don't know the exact eating or exercise habits of those you observe to be "naturally skinny".

No one is just lucky. There are other trends at work.

I know what MY exercise and eating habits were when I was in that category. Just sayin'.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    In my younger slender days I could easily eat a large, meat-lovers deep dish pizza in one sitting, and wash it down with a six pack of beer, which would be on the order of 3500 calories. Someone just looking at that would think I was some sort of freak of nature. But they wouldn't see that I didn't eat all day that day, and wouldn't get hungry again until the next evening.

Unfortunately years of that sort of behavior eventually turned into an inability to eat in moderation - - I thought it was normal to have a large pizza for dinner, and that I had a special metabolism that would enable me to have fast food three times a day.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    They definitely don't et as much as you think they do....you are only seeing one small part of their diet/lifestyle. Perhaps you only spend time with them in social situations where eating is more likely? Food is not inherently bad. Types of food eaten doesn't matter much in the end for actual weight. Overeating is pretty much the only thing that will put weight on you.