How are you getting through the holiday tempations

Options
Ok, SO at work they have a tradition on Friday afternoons (year round) called Fat Friday. This is the time where we all gather in the boardroom for half an hour to kind of catch up with our co workers through the week and discuss non office related things (plans for the weekend etc) but during this time we also have a 'fattening' treat that someone has brought in.

NOW I also have the '15 days of Christmas' where every morning at 10 am, they gather in the kitchen to enjoy treats brought in by 2 people... this is DAILY until Christmas... (Although I did not sign up to participate in this one, the leftovers are in the kitchen up for grabs)

HELP! I need some ideas, cause my yogurt is NOT working to fight the temptations.

How are you dealing with this time of year and all the food temptations?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Same way I get through any other day, eat what I want/what fits into my calorie target, don't eat anything else.
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could bring in a healthy treat to indulge in :)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Just don't go. Nobody is twisting your arm.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I wake up, I eat to my hearts content, I smash things, I go to sleep.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    eat all the yummies! ;)

Naw I'm not treating it any differently than the rest of the year.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    one cookie at a time.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I am eating all the food, and then looking for more.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Can you take ONE bite of ONE treat and then not anymore? That's what I do. I figure I can have one bite of any food any day I want, I just can't eat it all.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I was fine until I read this thread...*deletes account*
  • runboostie
    runboostie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok, SO at work they have a tradition on Friday afternoons (year round) called Fat Friday. This is the time where we all gather in the boardroom for half an hour to kind of catch up with our co workers through the week and discuss non office related things (plans for the weekend etc) but during this time we also have a 'fattening' treat that someone has brought in.

NOW I also have the '15 days of Christmas' where every morning at 10 am, they gather in the kitchen to enjoy treats brought in by 2 people... this is DAILY until Christmas... (Although I did not sign up to participate in this one, the leftovers are in the kitchen up for grabs)

HELP! I need some ideas, cause my yogurt is NOT working to fight the temptations.

Well, since you asked... I am leaning hard on my spiritual traditions (Eastern Orthodox). To prepare for Xmas, we go off dairy, eggs and meat. So I find it a little easier to avoid most Xmas treats. Of course, we also are supposed to fast from offending folks, so if someone gives me something directly, I will take some, but I try to take a small piece and then make myself eat it slowly and really enjoy it.

I also have a lenten advent calendar with lovely dark chocolate in it with no dairy, so I get a piece of that everyday.

Of course, no system is perfect, or rather, the system is good and I am far from perfect. I just make some wonderful "cream cheese" with pine nuts and sunflower seeds and...well, I should take the spoon out of the jar and put it away.

Sigh. :ohwell:
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    At my work there are always theme nights. Pie night, cookie night, pancake and bacon night etc... I just stay away and eat what I packed, don't feel too bad about it either. However if something looks extra special and delicious I'll have a bite but that's it.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Keeping myself distracted...usually with something like this:

http-__makeagifcom_media_12-03-2012_6_sBlM1.gif

and...

Cookies...and cupcakes

Actually, if you have the calories for it, I say go for it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

It is a mind over matter thing. Just make up in your mind and stick with it. Commit to yourself. Don't succumb to momentary weakness.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger more satisfying breakfast and stay out of the kitchen for the daily stuff.

On Fridays, make sure you have a decent lunch and just go to socialize. Or if it's something you really want, have a small amount that fits within your goal and enjoy it.

If you really don't want to eat any of it and are having a hard time resisting, just imagine whoever cooked it sneezing, coughing, spitting, whatever in the dish or having a really nasty dirty kitchen. It's pretty easy to turn off the desire when you associate it with something that grosses you out.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    discipline, moderation and patience are key in Holiday weight loss :)
  • fishifishy
    Options
    I take fresh fruit, and freeze it. That way, I still get the fruit I need daily, but I also get the dessert-ish feeling of ice cream/sherbert at the same time.

Also, avoiding chocolate in my house is NOT possible, seeing as I live with a family of chocololics, so I will probably have some, but I'm going to track it all so that I don't go over.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Any time I am tempted by something I know doesn't really fit into my day calorie-wise, I think about how I will probably kill someone the next time they make a remark about my weight or decide to ask if I have conceived a child. In their best interest, I pass up whatever treat, because I would rather be lithe and sexy and not in jail.

Besides, I'd rather be good during the week and splurge a bit on the weekend and not have to worry about it.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Small samples of everything I want to have. Going to make sure I stick to drinking lots of water, watch my booze intake and ensure I hit my workouts that are scheduled. I don't believe in making holiday eating this huge thing to be terrified of and let that rule over my life/making the time with friends and family unenjoyable because I'm too worked up over calories.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I often bring a healthy snack to share... that you love and is on your food plan. You'd be surprised how many other people will eat it when there is a healthy snack on the table.

Maybe solicit a few of your office mates to do the same thing?

Something I read a few years ago really clicked with me - Nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels! - this becomes my daily sometimes hourly mantra this time of year.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Keeping myself distracted...usually with something like this:

http-__makeagifcom_media_12-03-2012_6_sBlM1.gif

and...

Cookies...and cupcakes

Actually, if you have the calories for it, I say go for it.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!