Some posts on MFP are starting to concern me

Options
Am I the only one from ages past that's still on here that's concerned with the amount of people starting threads about losing large amounts of weight in short periods of time? I can only speak for myself but as to that, I am worried that we will start drawing the wrong kind of person to this forum.

IMHO MFP should be about healthy, REAL weight loss as part of an overall plan to improve one's health, not about losing large amounts of weight in short periods of time in time for an event.

Sorry if this is polarizing, but it's how I feel.

-Banks

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but I have come to the realization that most if not all of the people posting such things cannot be swayed by our responses. They don't understand that huge weight loss in a short period is essentially starvation and even if they manage to lose any weight they will 1) fizzle out quickly and retreat to their old lifestyles 2) gain back the weight when they begin eating properly and/or 3) suffer health problems in the long run.

I'm just sick of explaining things to people that don't want to hear it. If people have real questions, I'm all for answering them, but when I see that advice is falling on deaf ears I really just try to steer clear.
  • startfromscratch
    Options
    I haven't been here for a long time but I agree. I think this forum is about doing it the right/healthy way. Counting calories in while working on increasing the number of calories out. That's why I came here.
  • hollyroode
    Options
    I've found there to be a lot of younger people who have real body image issues trying to lose weight when they don't need to. Also..is there an age requirement on this site? I don't know if 15 year old girls should be on here, if they have a serious weight problem it is something that they should be talking to their parents about and consulting a doctor or nutritionist to get help with. This site is a wonderful tool, so even if their parents used it in a positive way WITH their children.....because anyone under 18 years old are still children....
  • Carakkm
    Carakkm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. This should be a life change not a short term plan. I am sure many of us have tried 'crash diets' and then instantly put the weight back on once we start eating properly, it is unrealistic to set goals that are unacheivable in the long term.

Like mentioned though people don't want hear that this is something that has to be worked at for a long time as we would all like instant fixes, but there is none out there other than hard work and a lifestyle overhaul.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Banks! In the past when people came on asking for advice on losing large amounts in a short amount of time people on the message boards jumped all over that like white on rice explaining that it's not healthy. The good news is... the people looking to lose lots fast either leave just as quickly as they came or they are converted to the healthy eating way of life.

I'm concerned about the number of posts that are being posted about "short cuts", eating under 1200 calories, etc. and I think they should be monitored closely and closed if they are going the wrong way. Like the post last week where someone was looking for foods that have a laxative effect... people kept giving her ideas! Seriously?

When I started here at MFP - the thing that drew me in is that it was truly something that I hadn't seen before... I'd been told to "eat right and exercise" all my life - but no one could ever tell me "HOW" or what exactly that meant. If I wanted another "diet" or fad - there are plenty of other websites to find.

Maybe Mike needs Moderators?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I agree. I also don't like the people on here telling people to give up bread or whatever. What does that accomplish? You lose weight but are you supposed to do without bread for the rest of your life? I agree we should try for whole grain choices and those that have fiber in them but are you really supposed to give up an entire food group (the one you're supposed to get most of your cals from) for the rest of your life?
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Agreed. Long term, sustainable weightloss and a healthy lifestyle, not a crash and burn weighloss fad. There does seem to be a trend with the younger people on the site as far as being in a healthy weight range but wanting to lose even more weight. I can't help but think that is based off of a body image issue instead of a real health based concern for weight loss.
  • Carakkm
    Carakkm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There is an age restriction on the site of 16 and I agree alot of people seem to be trying to lose weight that they don't need to.
    I've found there to be a lot of younger people who have real body image issues trying to lose weight when they don't need to. Also..is there an age requirement on this site? I don't know if 15 year old girls should be on here, if they have a serious weight problem it is something that they should be talking to their parents about and consulting a doctor or nutritionist to get help with. This site is a wonderful tool, so even if their parents used it in a positive way WITH their children.....because anyone under 18 years old are still children....
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    There is an age restriction on the site of 16 and I agree alot of people seem to be trying to lose weight that they don't need to.

It's actually 18. Or at least it used to be. The only way younger people are logging on is by lying and inputting 18 as their age.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Ellie113
    Ellie113 Posts: 49
    Options
    I think it depends on how much weight you have to lose like with me i have well over 100lbs to go so i tend to set myself higher goals than say somone with 20lbs to lose but as my weight loss continues i will ajust my goals accordingly.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I think of MFP the same way I think of Church. I do not bring guests with me to Church to make them change their ideals to mine.
    Rather I hope they will hear something that changes them. Maybe to help others, or to be a better parent.....or just know they are loved.

So MFP is like that for me. If there are people here who think they can lose 10 pounds in a week, the reality will hit them soon enough. Our posts showing people like Kerriskinnyasslucko lost 50 pounds and looks HOT over a long period of time and is KEEPING it off.......that is the best lecture of all.

I love to jump into a thread on here and tally up the weight loss........and maintaining of same........of all the MFP peeps!!

So let them come........we are here to show them how it should be done and help them in their journey to make life altering changes.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I think it depends on how much weight you have to lose like with me i have well over 100lbs to go so i tend to set myself higher goals than say somone with 20lbs to lose but as my weight loss continues i will ajust my goals accordingly.

I am so proud of you!! WOOT for losing almost 30 pounds already!!:drinker:

My concern with low calorie intake at a high weight is: Where will you go when you have 20-30 pounds to go? If your body is already used to 1200-1400 calories, you will have to add a LOT of cardio to continue losing weight. I did this. Went down to 1200 without eating my exercise cals when I started here at around 170.

I was so happy to lose 2 pounds a week. But once I was down 10-15 pounds........my weight loss came to a screeching halt.

So all I am saying is, keep this in mind and maybe stagger the calorie intake.

Again your doing a wonderful job!! :drinker:
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I used to be one of those people that was after the quick fix. I've lost 10 lbs now (15 more to go!) and this is the first time in my life I have done it the RIGHT way. No pills or fad diet....just counting calories and exercising. Unfortunately, It's taken me over 2 months to lose it, but I know I will be able to maintain it this time. Slow and steady wins the race :wink:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. I also don't like the people on here telling people to give up bread or whatever. What does that accomplish? You lose weight but are you supposed to do without bread for the rest of your life? I agree we should try for whole grain choices and those that have fiber in them but are you really supposed to give up an entire food group (the one you're supposed to get most of your cals from) for the rest of your life?

I agree with you as long as you're not talking about posts that may involve people talking about eating gluten or wheat-free. I've seen posts recently where people were utterly slammed for suggesting that someone who is having digestive issues might want to look at cutting out gluten. Gluten and Wheat allergies are very prominent. It doesn't mean that they're not eating carbs... just that they're eating rice, potatos and beans instead of wheat, cereal and bread.
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't been here long so I don't know how it was in the past but I think the issue is a wider cultural one. Life is all about speed and quick solutions. When I was a teenager I would get the subway 30 minutes to the local record store and queue up outside to get the new album by my favourite band. Today you can download it in a minute. Food is generally "fast food" and any kind of medical intervention is marketed through its quick results and fast remedies. Shows like The Biggest Loser (which I love btw) exacerbate the belief that you can lose weight fast simply due to the programming schedule. In the UK we get the US and The Australian Biggest Loser shown daily so each week we see these people that are shedding 7-10 kgs regularly. It creates an illusion that this kind of super-fast transformation is possible. Every time i am online I am bombarded by ads that promise massive weight loss in a few weeks...Speed and the possibility of things happening faster has taken over all aspects of culture from education to sport and leisure. If I were to be cynical then I would also suggest that this is good news for the weight loss industry as it enables them to sell and re-sell these quick fixes again and again. JMO!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one from ages past that's still on here that's concerned with the amount of people starting threads about losing large amounts of weight in short periods of time? I can only speak for myself but as to that, I am worried that we will start drawing the wrong kind of person to this forum.

IMHO MFP should be about healthy, REAL weight loss as part of an overall plan to improve one's health, not about losing large amounts of weight in short periods of time in time for an event.

Sorry if this is polarizing, but it's how I feel.

-Banks

I agree Banks. But, those who are trying to do it in unhealthy ways will most likely not be deterred from it. As much as it would be nice to give everyone the realization about losing weight to be healthy and making it a lifestyle change, we just can't do it. So we just have to hope that they stumble upon your old posts so that they can get some insight or that they may see enough people who have lost weight the right way on the success forum. :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing, Banks.

I also notice some of those threads are people who joined about January (New Year's Resolution) and are now getting frustrated that they've been "Working really hard" for "So long now" (3 months) and haven't lost the 30lbs. they thought they would. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Just like at the gym. I think those "New Year" crowds will be thinning out soon. :wink:

Also, Kudos to those "Vets" I see responding to the same questions over and over. :flowerforyou:
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Right on, CharityD! I was just like you, and now because of yo-yo dieting, I have over 100 pounds to lose...slow and steady is how the weight came on, and how it should come off...

I think the best advice for those that want to lose lots of weight in a short amount of time comes from the failure they will experience...there are no shortcuts!

Banks - let them eat cake (or not, if they are cutting carbs!) - those of us who want to make a life change will, and you will always have those looking for that quick fix - let them fail a few times and maybe they will get the message the rest of us are preaching here...
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying!!! :happy: And I agree....that's what I love about this site... It's a great guide for relearning how to eat right and be healthy! The weight I have lost is all about watching the calories going in and the exercise to burn them off...and just how many doctors have told me that AND just how much money have I spent or say blew!!! We can hope by our success' and the great wisdom on here that someone who is looking to lose a lot of weight quickly will "see the light" and reform!! That's all we can do.....in everything we do! Be a good role model!! You can "lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink"!! :laugh: