How come I'm not losing weight?

Options
I'm eating 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day. I'm working out for 20 to 30 minutes a day. I'm 5'8" 330 pounds. I've lost 40 pounds since September but I stopped losing weight 3 weeks ago.

Can someone please please please please please help!!! I really need to lose at least another 10 to 15 by the end of this month.

Replies

• AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Have you switched up anything in your diet or exercise routine? I haven't really hit any stall in my weight loss yet, but I know that changing things up is always a good way to jump start weight loss again. Look at your daily/weekly nutrition values and see what you might be going way over or under on and switch it up a little bit. Also changing the type of exercise you do might be a good idea or lengthening what you're doing now or upping the intensity. There could be a number of reasons why your weight loss has stalled, but I hope this helps!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. 1000-1200 calories isn't nearly enough to fuel your body, especially when you're working out.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    And you don't "really need to lose 15 pounds by the end of this month". It's not a race.
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Switching up your exercise routine can help. make sure you drink a ton of water. Get plenty of sleep. People often experience plateaus for weeks or even months. Just keep being diligent. You may need to eat a few more calories, if you work your body too hard it thinks you are starving and will not lose weight. Try adding another serving of lean protein and depending on your diet, maybe even a little healthy fat like avocado. I once dieted so hard, I hardly ever ate any fats and the weight came off SLOWER. Eating plenty of healthy food and keeping my exercise interesting worked much better.
  • the_spartans
    Options
    First, it is very common to hit plateaus in weight loss. Here are several things that it may be:

-You are actually eating more calories than you think (make sure you weigh food, pay close attantion to labels, etc.); it is easy to underestimate calories at a restaurant.
    -You are retaining water (watch for salt in diet)
    -Your colon is backed up (any changes in diet can cause this)
    -Your body is transforming fat into muscle (your body composition is changing)
    -Your metabolism is adjusting (it could be in starvation mode); this is unlikely from my experience, but change up the diet, pick a day and go well over, then back to the old calorie amount the next day; mix exercise (change it to different cardio for the day, etc.); if you aren't working out, start, and increase cardio time and effort

Plateaus are generally temporary, so mix it up and wait it out, tell us what happens in a week....
  • sammyonweb
    Options
    Instead of being overly concerned with counting calories or measuring portion sizes, think of your diet in terms of color, variety, and freshness. This way it should be simpler to make healthy choices. Focus on finding foods you love and easy dishes that incorporate a few fresh ingredients. Gradually, your diet will become better and extra delicious.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    change it up :) your body is probably bored.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    10-15 pounds per month is not recommended by most unless you are on a medically supervised diet or you have a lot to lose and you're just starting out. usually people will lose a lot the first month, in my experience. this tapering off is normal. you may have to increase your cals for a bit and maintain and then hit it again.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters, I do not think you're getting enough daily calories. You are definitely eating below what MFP would suggest for you, because it assigns me 1340 cals a day and I am starting from 180 pounds.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I started out at about the same weight as you, so I assume 1200 is not the goal mfp gave you? I think you could definitely eat more. Why restrict so much when you don't have to?
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You don't have your diary open so it's a bit hard to comment. Agree with what others have said about calorie levels and weight loss expectations... but also...

One of the things that happens at this time of year is that people go 'oh, I'm logging everything, except that one party...' and they sort of assume that the party will have caused them to go over calories by a few hundred. Whereas actually it was more like a few thousand and messed up an entire week's effort. I'm not saying this is happening to you! But it can be a risk. The solution is of course to log everything. But you can't be logging everything at a party! But I try to take my phone and *photograph* everything I eat or drink when I'm not logging. And then the following morning, when my head recovers, I can dispassionately log it.

Do make sure you're weighing stuff the rest of the time, too. It's too easy to undercount when you're eyeballing things.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough, your body is in starvation mode and it refuses to let any more fat leave.
  • cajohn
    Options
    Try separating your carbs from your protein. Example: scrambled eggs for breakfast (one whole egg plus 2 whites)

large serve mixed vegetable soup for lunch

2 fruits for 3.30pm

plate full of chicken /fish /or turkey . no carbs for dinner.
    :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :smokin: :drinker:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Try separating your carbs from your protein. Example: scrambled eggs for breakfast (one whole egg plus 2 whites)

2 fruits for 3.30pm

Nonsense.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ok, here is the secret you've been looking for....Ready!

I'm going to say this loud enough for everyone to hear.

YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

There ya go. The secret is out. Man am I in trouble.

Seriously. You're body used food for fuel. What happens when your car is low on gas, you're at the end of the month but don't get paid for a few more days and you're out of money. Do you go joy riding or conserve the gas?
    That's exactly what your body does with the fuel (or in this case the lack of fuel), you give it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

2 fruits for 3.30pm

Weight loss is about calories, not about timing of carbs and protein. And when you eat too little, your body fights you.

OP, based on your stats, you would be better off eating around 2000 calories. Your estimated metabolic rate alone is well over that. Also, this would give you a little over 2 lbs a week which is great.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough, your body is in starvation mode and it refuses to let any more fat leave.

So not true. Your body will not be in starvation mode.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough. If you are 330 pounds and at a stall, up your calories. Work out your TDEE and eat 500 calories below that. You will probably be in the 1700-1800 range at that point. Change up your exercise routine. Either do more at ones, more days or more intensity.

If you eat more, you won't gain weight in the long run, but if you are an "Everyday Weigher" you'll notice fluctuations. Stay off the scale for 3 weeks, that's how long your body will need to adjust to the changes...

Eat more protein, less carbs. More veggies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

2 fruits for 3.30pm

Nonsense.

yes...nonsense

and the array of different smiley faces indicates confusion and chaos