YOGURT......

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love the activia light. Yeah it's got like 7 sugars but it's no added sugar and I really do feel better eating a 4 oz serving 1 time a day.

That's not bad 7g might try activia light

Actually, Activia is just a marketing scheme. There was a class action lawsuit last year.

Just go for Greek yogurt (the Trader Joe's one is delightful), Icelandic yogurt, or organic yogurt. All of the ones I mentioned are easy to find without chemicals.

Don't fall for the Activia light or regular scam. It's full of chemicals made in a lab and does not actually do anything more than regular yogurt.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love the activia light. Yeah it's got like 7 sugars but it's no added sugar and I really do feel better eating a 4 oz serving 1 time a day.

Actually, Activia is just a marketing scheme. There was a class action lawsuit last year.

Just go for Greek yogurt (the Trader Joe's one is delightful), Icelandic yogurt, or organic yogurt. All of the ones I mentioned are easy to find without chemicals.

Don't fall for the Activia light or regular scam. It's full of chemicals made in a lab and does not actually do anything more than regular yogurt.

But it's yummy.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I found a brand call IOGO 0%, it's only 35 cals per serving and 4 g of sugar.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Wait, so it DIDN'T enable Jamie Lee Curtis to take a *kitten*?
  • Onesnap
    Options

Wait, so it DIDN'T enable Jamie Lee Curtis to take a *kitten*?

Not any more than regular yogurt. Plus, she loaded herself up with chemicals made in a lab in the process.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    "Good for you" and "healthy" are terms I really hate using because it's all relative. Some food that has a lot of crucial nutrients is high in calories, and lots of low-calorie non-fat foods have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Nutrition is about creating a balance. Can yogurt contribute to a healthy diet? Absolutely. It's a good source of protein and calcium. 12g is only a lot of sugar if your diet is already high in sugar.

Well put, Lobster. These days I'm really enjoying Icelandic yogurt and Greek yogurt. It felt weird last night to put regular sour cream on a potato versus plain greek yogurt.
  • Onesnap
    Options

But it's yummy.

If you enjoy eating chemicals made in a lab, sure. Eat up!
  • chaosrocks
    Options
    I think not. Any dairy product is not natural for us to eat. We are the only species that drink another animals breast milk(dairy).
    It's more healthy for us to be drinking our mothers milk still than to take from a cow.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I just get 0% plain Greek yogurt, Chobani or Fage, and add my own things to it. TONS of protein, relatively low calories, and I can make it taste however I want it to.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is yogurt good for you?

Yogurt has a lot of nutrients in it. If you enjoy it, then eat it.
  • Bethaniey
    Options
    That's a good question-I have yet to find a yogurt other than plain, that doesn't have at least 10g of sugar in it. Even Greek yogurt has 17g. Of course if you wanna eat aspartame or sucralose, then you can get the sugar way down. I think if you stay to one yogurt a day and one fruit a day, it is feasible to stay within the daily recommended sugar intake. Everything in moderation.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt and eat lots of it. I don't buy yogurt with artificial crap in it - sweeteners, colors, flavors, etc. And it should have the "Live and Active Cultures" label on it. Lots of the cheap store brands are full of artificial stuff and do not have enough live cultures to use that seal. How much sugar isn't really an issue for me because my blood sugar is always smack dab in the middle of normal, so I don't worry about counting sugars, but my dietician said that for people who watch sugar, they should definitely make sure that any yogurt they use is under 20 g of sugar.
    The Kroger CarbMaster stuff is NOT yogurt -- they initially marketed it as yogurt but were forced to stop because it was untruthful. Now if you look at the cartons you'll see it says something like "dairy blend" and does not claim to be yogurt.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy eating chemicals made in a lab, sure. Eat up!

I enjoy the nourishment of self-righteous people. :flowerforyou:

Activia Vanilla yogurt contains cultured grade reduced fat milk, fructose, water, sugar, contains less than one percent of whey protein concentrate, corn starch, modified corn starch, kosher gelatin, natural vanilla flavor, malic acid and sodium citrate. Activia also contains the active cultures L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus and Bifidobacteria Lactis.
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    i make my own yogurt, greek type..whole lot cheaper.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Thanks for the heads up!!
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    i make my own yogurt, greek type..whole lot cheaper.

How do you make your own? Do you have a recipe you can share with me :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well put, Lobster. These days I'm really enjoying Icelandic yogurt and Greek yogurt. It felt weird last night to put regular sour cream on a potato versus plain greek yogurt.

I'm in an exclusive relationship with Icelandic yogurt. Like a real girlfriend, it's expensive, but worth the physical satisfaction
  • Monie_LG
    Options
    LOVE Greek yogurt! I usually have 0%, so no fat and full of protein! It keeps me full for hours :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Get some plain yogurt, non fat if it's available. Greek yogurt is also pretty good. You can add cinnamon/stevia/fruit/nuts/grape nuts/ peanut butter, anything you want to yogurt.

Usually that yogurt is 120-140 calories, low sugar, and very filling. High protein.

If you get those mini yoplait yogurts that say non fat....they're usually packed with added sugar to spike your insulin.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I make it a treat like ice cream or chocolate-- which you can find similar flavors :) But, the only reason I do that is because of grams of sugar in them.