is Society too sensitive/politically correct?

Options
mike_littlerock
mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
Are we overly politically correct? Have you ever found yourself searching for the proper PC term for various conditions/situations/states of being.. trying to remember what was "OK" to say or term to use this week. Have you ever seen someone being rude/gross, but others afraid to address the issue (I assume because nobody wants to potentially offend the offender)

I would like to see where people think we are on this topic, and what is acceptable or not (Please feel free to explain why).
-can you say a person is bald or balding? (if no, can you then say someone has nice hair, as that may offend the bald/balding person that may overhear)
-Is it OK that smokers treating the world as their ash tray
-What about people playing games on a smart phone (sound effects enabled) or having very long chats about nothing while in an otherwise quiet area.
-What about DJ Jazzy Dillon has the windows of moms car down blasting music with lyrics not suited for children
-Can a man still open a door for a woman, or is that trying to assert dominance over her and diminishing her equality? (BTW.. have had at least two times I can recall where a woman said "i can open my own door" in a very abrupt way)
-Can we still say a person is tall, I am under the impression you you can not say someone is short. BTW. this makes no sense to me.. a person did not "DO" anything to be a certain height, so why does it matter?
-If a passenger on a flight does not follow reasonable standards of hygiene, should a fellow passenger or flight crew be allowed to say/do anything, or should the fellow passengers be expected to grin and bear it?
-what if a person decides that a word offends them, even if it is non-offensive to everyone else? can that one person have the power to change everyone around them and force them to delete that word from use?
-can you say that a person is fat (stout, overweight, heavy) or is it forbidden to describe their physical appearance.
-can you say someone is skinny (at the risk of upsetting them if they have issues with eating disorders)

I do acknowledge that the PC movement started because we had some very ugly words to describe various groups of people and we had to shift away from that. I will simply offer my opinion that we have perhaps over corrected a bit. I also understand the reality is altered for those of us playing in the corporate world, where you can really only acknowledge a person is a human and any more detail than that is probably not a good idea..

Replies

• Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Yes society has become way to sensitive.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I think we're too uptight as a society. Parents - teach your kids to deal with things. Feelings get hurt, it's a part of life. It seems every time someone gets upset about what someone says, they run crying to mommy or daddy and then next thing you know you have to change what you call something.

JM
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It does seem a lot of folks use "I hate the PC movement" to be mean and insensitive...
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I agree, I think as a society as a whole we are too politically correct. Another example...every kid getting a trophy and not accepting that there are winners and losers at times. Where is the incentive to strive to improve and be better?

I'm not saying we should go around insulting people but I literally tip toe around everything it seems nowadays. Just because you may offend someone and they don't know how to be an adult about your opinion vs their own
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    As someone raised in the US, but living outside the US, OMG Americans are freaking sensitive about everything. It's like, you can't ask someone any personal questions whatsoever because you might remind them of unpleasant stuff. Here, a cab driver will ask you if you're married, and if you say no, they'll ask why not. People also start asking after about a year of marriage why you haven't started having kids yet.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Mums the word.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    tl:dr
  • mike_littlerock
    Options
    yeah.. I guess im pretty direct. . 50+ lbs ago, i described myself as "fat" because I was. I call my best friend "black" if trying to describe to a host at a restaurant because he quips that he has never been to Africa.. hes just a black dude.

I think it boils down to intent.. you can use PC words and still be a prick.. you could use more direct words and not have any bad intentions or feelings.. so is it about the word, or about ones actions?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Agree.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I am going to say what I think. If people get butthurt about it, too bad. There is nothing that I am aware of that says that anyone has a right "to not be offended." They can deal with it, or they can eff off, and same goes for other people. If you say something to offend me.....thats fine, I will deal with it. I would rather you be honest and hurt my feelings than sugarcoat everything and I not know what you are really thinking.

So, for all the fatties around here that get butthurt when someone tells you to push away from the table and move your *kitten* for a change.....sux to be you.....
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

People need to grow thicker skin, get a little more comfortable with who they are and then you won't have all the hurt feelings. I agree at one point in time way too many negative phrases were used describing different groups but at this point we have gone so far overboard it isn't even funny.
  • chickfromsc
    Options
    Coming from someone that is self-admittingly too blunt....I often get myself in trouble with my LACK of political correctness! I think society in general is very sensitive and looking for a reason to have their feelings hurt!
  • mike_littlerock
    Options
    It does seem a lot of folks use "I hate the PC movement" to be mean and insensitive...
    I strongly feel that if a person is a prick, they can still do it while using PC terms. Its not about the words, it is more about intent and the persons actions.
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Bunch of sissies!!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    yeah.. I guess im pretty direct. . 50+ lbs ago, i described myself as "fat" because I was. I call my best friend "black" if trying to describe to a host at a restaurant because he quips that he has never been to Africa.. hes just a black dude.

I think it boils down to intent.. you can use PC words and still be a prick.. you could use more direct words and not have any bad intentions or feelings.. so is it about the word, or about ones actions?
    [/quote

I think we are. I am black too, not African-American. lol
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Agree.

Agree x2! My 5 year old just started kindergarten and has learned that if someones says ANYTHING mean or hurtful then they are a bully (rolls eyes). My 2 year old told her this morning she was mean and she said "mom he is being a bully" I cringed inside. I told her that he was not a bully, he is a toddler :)
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    YES!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Yes and no... I personally always try to think... Did they Mean to be offensive? If not I try to not let it bother me. I.e. a few years ago I was on vacation in the Dominican Republic for a girl's get away... This very tipsy little Cuban man took a liking to us right away... Kept hugging us, and telling us how white we were and how much he LOVED Canadians and wanted to know all about Canadian Culture... We kept saying... Well We're still Americans... but thanks i guess... We were not offended, in fact we found it quite amusing. I know in some Latin cultures get offended if you confuse them.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    "-Can a man still open a door for a woman, or is that trying to assert dominance over her and diminishing her equality? (BTW.. have had at least two times I can recall where a woman said "i can open my own door" in a very abrupt way) "

I have had the same thing happen to me and I respond each time that my mother raised me to open doors for ladies and I will continue to do so as long as I damn well choose, if you don't like it feel free to turn around and walk away, you aren't taking away my choice to be polite because it offends you. Full disclosure, I tend to hold the door open for everyone, man or woman.