Lay it on me... Sprite Zero and Mio

Options
13»

Replies

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    what's MIO? Oh, my oh.
    I am the queen of mixing weird things in my drinks, so I'm all for it! I do not, however, mix milky things with citrusy things. that's no workie.

MIO is a flavoring additive you can get. Just put a few drops in your drink. It's usually on the end caps near the drink aisles or with the kool-aid/gatorade powders in my grocery stores.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You DO realize what;s in MIO, right? I honestly wouldn't drink stuff with antifreeze - or even something in its family, in it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

Did you actually read the page you linked to?

"Serious toxicity generally occurs only at plasma concentrations over 1 g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time.[15] It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1 g/kg of PG. Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are usually related to either inappropriate intravenous administration or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.[16] The potential for long-term oral toxicity is also low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG in feed over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.[17] Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh viper that is a great idea! I may have to try the seltzer water.

And I don't drink it 24/7. I just have the occasional coke here and there. It helps settle my tummy if I'm having issues.

Does Seltzer Water have artificial sweeteners?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do a great job at drinking primarily water. But when I sit down at dinner, some times, I want something tasty or fizzy. Usually, I sacrifice calories in the name of a can of coke. But that's 140 calories that I could use somewhere else. So I decided to try something different.

I bought a bottle of Sprite Zero and mixed some of the cherry MIO I had. It was delicious and calorie free and tasted almost like a shirley temple. I don't plan on drinking this 24/7. Probably a couple times a week instead of my beloved coke.

Am I going to grow 3 heads? Is there something I need to know?

Epidemiology has found a fairly strong link between diet soda and obesity. Nobody knows for sure if it's casual though. So at best it's neutral, at worst it's bad for you. I personally found that my cravings for sugar decreased significantly after I stopped drinking diet coke (I used to have two diet sodas a day).

Instead of forming a habit to drink something that may not be good for you, why not drink something with proven health benefits instead? Tea is quite pleasant to drink once you get over the need for sugary drinks.
  • Just because you drink "Diet" or "zero" soda products does not mean that its not bad for you. Look at it this way, can you even pronounce what those ingredients are, all those drinks are manufactured, they cause you to spike your insulin levels, even if theres no sugar, they are still sweet. I came across this study from the San Antonio Heart Study,

“On average, for each diet soft drink our participants drank per day, they were 65 percent more likely to become overweight during the next seven to eight years, and 41 percent more likely to become obese,” said Sharon Fowler, M.P.H., faculty associate in the division of clinical epidemiology in the Health Science Center’s department of medicine.”

This website shows a breakdown of the ingredients in those drinks.
    http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being-fooled-by-zero-calorie-sodas/#more-5944
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the cherry MIO yet. I've been using MIO for months now but I've only seen 4 flavors here... Strawberry Watermellon, Mango Peach, Berry Pomegranate and Fruit Punch.

Now I'm curious if I've missed a flavor....

theres sweet tea, lemonade, energy.....tons of flavors!
  • chapplish
    Options
    Aspartame is harmless, except when it is expired. When it expires as it breaks down it becomes a substance similar to formaldehyde. So well it is ok for you. Make sure to check the date.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is harmless, except when it is expired. When it expires as it breaks down it becomes a substance similar to formaldehyde. So well it is ok for you. Make sure to check the date.

I had heard once (never did research it so don't hold me to it) that once aspartame hits a certain temp the chemical break down can cause bad side effects. But I don't know what that temp is or if the statement is even true. Honestly I think it was just a scare tactic from those who are totally against artificial sweetners and other chemicals when the stuff first became really popular in diet sodas.

I am still going to ingest it though, if I grow 3 heads or die at least I will be happy! LOL jk jk