Sound like a healthy/clean diet?

Options

Replies

• rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds great to me! What do you mean by "healthy" whole grain cereals, though? Most whole grain cereals still have high amounts of sugar, so you may want to check the label if that's a concern to you. Then again, if some cereal in the morning is the most sugary/treat-like meal you have all day, then it shouldn't be much of a concern.

"Clean" for me means cutting back on dairy. But if your stomach handles it just fine, skim milk works. However, you may want to look into almond milk and other alternative milks. They can actually offer more nutrients for MUCH less calories (1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk is only 15 calories, but it's full of flavor).

For the meat you have, do you include fish? There are lots of benefits to doing so, both for your heart and for more superficial things like your hair, skin, and nails.

Overall, though, it sounds like you are doing perfectly. If you want to get your diet more and more clean, though, just consider tweaking little areas. By lowering calories in some areas (like trading out the milk, for example), you will make room to allow yourself the occasional (clean) treat.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    OP you sound ridiculously stand-off-ish for someone who asked for opinions and is getting them.
    You don't have to get so defensive over everyone's opinions.
    You didn't give very many details, so yea, how are we supposed to know your portions?
    You COULD be eating salad covered in ranch dressing and bacon bits for all we know (I said COULD, I didn't say you were...before you get all defensive)
    Thats excellent that you're getting your 1600 calories, and all the food you listed is clean, but without variety most people get bored and end up binging. If that isn't the case for you, then that's great! But why post this question if you don't want to hear people's opinions...
    Bit odd, that's all.

I never said anything. I really do appreciate that people are giving me opinions. I'm just stating that, for me, this diet works and I don't really need or want any variety. I've been eating like this for a while and I haven't grown tired of it, I haven't binged or anything. I don't eat ranch on my salad, or bacon bits either. I don't really like dressings.
    I'm not sure why people think I don't want opinions, because I really do appreciate them!
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's healthy/clean, but it doesn't sound like enough food. It would depend on portions...but that EVERY day is pretty impossible. You need to be flexible and find things that fit into daily life when those options aren't around. Concentrate more on getting the proper nutrition than obsessing about what is clean/healthy. You need something you can stick with long term because this isn't something you do for short period of time until you reach a goal.

We'd need to know how much you were working out and what your stats are before really giving an appropriate answer. And if you are struggling with what you SHOULD be eating I suggest consulting a nutritionalist...professionals will ALWAYS be better than MFP followers!

saying its impossible to eat the same thing everyday is a bunch of garbage.
    Its very possible if the person wants to do that. When i was living by myself for 8 years i ate the same thing everyday with a bit of changes here and there and i never got bored of it BECAUSE I LIKE ROUTINE. If your not able to do it everyday then thats fine thats just how you are, other people may be able to.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You've argued with everyone except the one person who also likes routine. If all you wanted was validation you should have phrased it differently.

If it works for you keep doing it. If it doesn't work for you change something.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like 1600 calories. I'd say it's under 1200.

You need to ask yourself if you can do this EVERY day, FOREVER. And I'm pretty sure that answer will be no. Learning to put a bit of variety in your diet will help long term.

And if you really wanted advice you can't get offended when people question your decisions. Please don't get offensive when people are trying to help.

I used to have a different account on here, (forgot my info though) and I would log basically this diet and it would come up around 1600 calories.
    Like I said, I do change it a bit. It's just a rough idea. And I'm not offended, I'm just trying to explain things to people that I forgot to mention in the original post.

If you like it, why did you come ask if people thought it was ok?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You haven't given any quantities or detail. A salad could be anything from the equivalent of one serving to the equivalent of five servings - are you having a balance of all the colour groups including blue/ purple and concentrating on bright/ dark varieties? Sounds potentially low in calories, carbs or fat depending on portion sizes. I don't see oily fish for long chain omega-3s nor likely enough mineral rich foods but again that depends on portion sizes - consider your calcium and magnesium intake particularly.

I get 1600 calories a day, sometimes more. It is not low on calories.

Since 2000 a day is needed for the average female, 1600 could be low and you could easily not be getting enough quality nutrition within that unless you are slim and not exercising. Again not enough detail, we can't help if you are not willing to expand or address the points made.
  • mariku_king
    Options

You need to ask yourself if you can do this EVERY day, FOREVER. And I'm pretty sure that answer will be no. Learning to put a bit of variety in your diet will help long term.

And if you really wanted advice you can't get offended when people question your decisions. Please don't get offensive when people are trying to help.

I used to have a different account on here, (forgot my info though) and I would log basically this diet and it would come up around 1600 calories.
    Like I said, I do change it a bit. It's just a rough idea. And I'm not offended, I'm just trying to explain things to people that I forgot to mention in the original post.

Because I wasn't sure if it was healthy enough is all.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious... for one day.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    You haven't given any quantities or detail. A salad could be anything from the equivalent of one serving to the equivalent of five servings - are you having a balance of all the colour groups including blue/ purple and concentrating on bright/ dark varieties? Sounds potentially low in calories, carbs or fat depending on portion sizes. I don't see oily fish for long chain omega-3s nor likely enough mineral rich foods but again that depends on portion sizes - consider your calcium and magnesium intake particularly.

I get 1600 calories a day, sometimes more. It is not low on calories.

Since 2000 a day is needed for the average female, 1600 could be low and you could easily not be getting enough quality nutrition within that unless you are slim and not exercising. Again not enough detail, we can't help if you are not willing to expand or address the points made.

I found a couple of sites on the internet that said my TDEE is about 2100, so I'm making a 500 calorie cut from it, eating rougjly 1600 calories :)
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't really know the definition of "clean eating". I would define it as a mostly vegan, mostly gluten free diet. And definitely a plant based diet. I wouldn't consider what you listed as "clean" because of the cereal, bread, and milk. (Hey, you wanted an opinion and I don't see how any animal products are "clean" and eating gluten sure doesn't make me feel clean). I would try to eat more vegetables, especially for dinner. What about steamed or sauteed veggies? Try whole grains like rice, quinoa, millet. Where area all the good oils in your diet? But bottom line is that it's all about finding what works for you!
  • fritostyle
    Options
    As most have already pointed out, you really haven't provided enough information. Clean eating is a diet program based on the idea that the best way to eat is to abundantly enjoy whole foods -- that is, foods as close to their natural state and you can get them. This means eating fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins instead of pre-packaged, processed foods or fast food. Clean eating is also committed to replacing saturated fats with healthy fats.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    Sounds delicious... for one day.

Haha, I'm sorry that it seems weird to people that i like to eat this every day. It's just the diet I like. It's easy for me to fix, it tastes good and it seems to be pretty healthy. So I just like eating it. I mean, yes, I do vary it a little bit, different fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. Things like that. But this is just a general idea of how I usually eat :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    "Clean" for me means cutting back on dairy. But if your stomach handles it just fine, skim milk works. However, you may want to look into almond milk and other alternative milks. They can actually offer more nutrients for MUCH less calories (1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk is only 15 calories, but it's full of flavor).
    Almond milk has fewer calories than mammal milk because it lacks the nutrients contained in mammal milk. Flavor is not technically a nutrient. If the OP has no issues with dairy (dietarily or morally) then there is absolutely no reason to switch to some random nut juice.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Do you alternate your proteins?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

If we would have said it wasn't healthy enough, would you have not followed that plan? I think not. What I do think is if you ate exactly that EVERY day for the rest of your life you'd be missing nutrients. Which is why 95% of the people who responded mentioned adding a bit more variety...
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To break it down...fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, very little fat or sugar, lean meats/proteins, etc. Food pyramid. It is what we have been told is healthy and what our body needs since grade school. As you get older, your body develops other issues (some hereditary, some not). These require other alterations. As far as the eggs go, I eat egg whites. Mainly it is because I have a history of high cholesterol in my family (my grandmother was never overweight, but her cholesterol was teetering at 400 when she passed). As far as clean eating goes...It's hard to eat "clean" anymore. Organic would be "cleaner", but any random piece of fruit or meat cut from who knows where... it's your call. If you like the way you are eating and you feel good, I would say keep going. Now I'm not saying that I eat like this (because I don't...), but I am more just trying to answer your question rather than give you my opinion on if I would eat it or not.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    You've argued with everyone except the one person who also likes routine. If all you wanted was validation you should have phrased it differently.

I didn't really see what I was doing as arguing? I've simply stated that eating generally the same thing every day works for me. I just simply wanted to know rather it was a healthy diet or not. And, that despite the fact it may seem like I'm not getting enough calories, I really do manage to eat about 1600 every day.
  • mariku_king
    Options

If we would have said it wasn't healthy enough, would you have not followed that plan? I think not. What I do think is if you ate exactly that EVERY day for the rest of your life you'd be missing nutrients. Which is why 95% of the people who responded mentioned adding a bit more variety...

Actually, if it wasn't healthy enough, I would have changed it. People around here really know what they're talking about from what I can see. I didn't really realize i was lacking many nutrients or anything since I have grains, fruits, vegetables, protein, meat and dairy.
  • deadbambi
    Options

I didn't really see what I was doing as arguing? I've simply stated that eating generally the same thing every day works for me. I just simply wanted to know rather it was a healthy diet or not. And, that despite the fact it may seem like I'm not getting enough calories, I really do manage to eat about 1600 every day.

...you are arguing about not arguing.
    i give up.
  • mariku_king
    Options

...you are arguing about not arguing.
    i give up.

I'm not trying to argue. I do apologize if I come across as arguing! I was simply trying to explain some things i didn't mention in my original question. People were saying I wasn't getting enough calories and I was just trying to let them know that I actually was getting a good amount. I'm sorry?