Oatmeal yuck

Options

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the texture you want. I wouldn't like the recipe you made either, but simply because it called for too much water. I like my oatmeal to be chewy rather than mushy. I buy old fashioned rolled oats and my recipe is as follows:

1/2 cup sweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 cup frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)

I cook that until the milk comes to a simmer, then I add 1/2 cup oats. I cook and stir on medium-low heat for probably 3 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

To me, that is oatmeal perfection. :smile:

Try making it with your favorite milk, or half water/half milk. Work with the amounts of liquid and oats. Try adding different flavors. Another favorite of mine is to add 1/3 cup of cooked pumpkin (I usually use canned), a teeny splash of a good maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.
  • Pema10
    Pema10 Posts: 13
    Options
    Like Sky, I've enjoyed the Scottish-style (Scottish-Style Porridge from Old Wessex). Ginger's sound intriguing. Gonna give it a go.
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ingornance....what's wrong with instant?

A minute in the microwave and done!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I dont like oatmeal like that. Its texture. BUT I LOVE LOVE the Quaker Real Medleys. Its oatmeal and still has texture but its a different texture- not soggy or crunchy or "oat" like. Just right!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

It sucks. That's what.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats is generally 1/4 cup per serving. 1 cup of water might not have been enough water if you had 1/2 cup oats. Also, they should cook for about 30 minutes. I usually make 1 cup oatmeal with 4 cups water, boil, then simmer for 30 minutes for 4 servings of oatmeal. One serving might not be recommended for stovetop. THEN add your flavorings. Your OP indicated you might have added flavorings during cooking. Don't do that. I also love steel cut oats. they also take a long time to cook. Good luck with it.
    P.S. If after several attempts you find you just don't like it, don't force it. Hate seeing people think they have to eat something just cause other people say it's healthy. I hate regular yogurt and bananas--so I don't eat them. Easy.
  • corderdeb
    Options

It sucks. That's what.

Ok, that's your opinion and your choice.

But is there a dietary difference? As long as it's not one of those flavored processed pockets, I'm not aware of any difference.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

It sucks. That's what.

But is there a dietary difference? As long as it's not one of those flavored processed pockets, I'm not aware of any difference.

as long as the "flavored processed pocket" fits in someones day then its better than lucky charms and kool-aid every morning!
  • erinalysa14
    Options
    I hate oatmeal. It is a texture thing for me but I just cannot eat it.

I used to feel this way about oatmeal also. I actually liked the taste, but could not STAND the texture. But I heard about overnight oats, and now I eat oatmeal every morning. Instaed of cooking it, I put it in a container in the fridge overnight it some almond mik, and add chia seeds, pb2, nuts, etc. Then the next morning it is yummy!!!

I also do "tomorroats" :) I put them in the fridge mixed with low fat plain yogurt and a bit of milk and they soak and expand overnight. I got the "recipe" from Andie's, "Can you stay for dinner" blog.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    At first I hated the stuff, but after a week or so I got used to the texture and now I don't notice it, add some jam or sryup to take your mind off it if you need too.
  • corderdeb
    Options

It sucks. That's what.

as long as the "flavored processed pocket" fits in someones day then its better than lucky charms and kool-aid every morning!

Agreed. But still doesn't answer the question.

Is there a dietary/nutritional difference between steel cut/rolled/instant?

My point was that the flavored packet would include, salt, flavoring, and possibly sweetners. Not the same as plain old oats.
  • malston40
    malston40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning and love it. I prep on Sunday all my bowls for the week so I have no excuse. I use instant and microwave for 45 seconds. Once it comes out I stir some peanut butter in it. It tastes like heaven!!!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal. It is a texture thing for me but I just cannot eat it.

Amen and Amen- I try to eat it but it is just nasty to me!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    what's veg spread?? I make old fashioned oats fairly regularly. I just use vanilla protein powder, water, oats, and a dash of stevia .... I also like to add in pumpkin and sometimes chia seeds. cut out all the syrupy sweetness and make it something worth eating! :)

ALSO - have you tried overnight oats? you make them in the fridge, and as the name states 'overnight' -- super easy peasy, hard to mess up. use google to find some recipes. this is my favorite one!

http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/search?q=overnight#!/2012/07/hawaiian-overnight-oats.html
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I use oats- a little sugar (or brown sugar/sug sub- whatever you like) a little cinnamon, and 2 tsp of half and half. Eat while hot, don't overcook. I don't use any processed foods like margarine or fake fats- that may be key. If I want butter, I have butter, I just have a very small amount.

I have added dried fruit, fresh bananas and even peanut butter to this recipe- since its easy, its got a good balance of carbs- its one of my best pre workout foods
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every day, but I only eat the instant. I can't eat the other stuff.
    It's taken me YEARS to like it and ever so often, I still get grossed out! lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes oatmeal. Maybe you'd prefer quinoa for breakfast.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It sucks. That's what.

But Lucky Charms are magically delicious. You can't defeat magic!

harry-potter-funny.jpg
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, one of my favourite is apple pie: steel cut oat, shredded granny smith apple, real maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, skim milk (I don't usually add because I like it thick). It takes longer but it is so worth it.

IMG_4453.jpg
  • DeniseMCronin
    DeniseMCronin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can cut down the cooking time by soaking them overnight. I use 50/50 milk and water. The milk adds to the flavour.

But instead of adding sugar etc I just put a tbsp of Greek style yogurt and berries on top.

My sister adds a spoon of peanut butter, she says it makes them really creamy