Saying good-bye to Milk....

Options
124»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Emmenthal (Swiss) and Jarlsberg are usually low lactose, or lactose free. As a bonus, they're the lowest sodium natural cheeses I've found.
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    Light vanilla soy is delicious!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Vanilla and chocolate soy milk @_@ mmmm..
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I had to put 1% milk in my fridge oatmeal last night because I ran out of vanilla almond milk. :angry:
    I've now found that it mixes better than milk in the overnight oatmeal, and I actually prefer the taste.
  • Dependent upon your taste buds, soya milk, rice milk, goats milk, the supermarkets have a large variety of lactulose free products. It is a matter of trial and error for your personal choice. Good Luck
  • Cisco99
    Cisco99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may want to try Kefir which is fermented milk. The fermentation process converts the lactose to lactic acid and the resulting drink is basically predigested. Some people who are lactose intolerant are able to consume kefir. If you decide to test it I recommend starting with small servings of unsweetened product. Some kefir is made with goats milk which is supposedly better for lactose intolerant folks. I personally prefer goats milk kefir but it is pricey so I make my own from whole milk. Whatever you do make sure you get enough calcium. Good luck.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    you don't have to give up dairy completely. Get some lactaid pills and take them prior to your dairy consumption. They help a lot.
    Otherwise, as mentioned by everyone else, there's soy, almond, coconut and other lactose free options.

i would definitely recommend the pills though. Who wants to give up stuff like...Nachos and Pizza!!! :sad:
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Dependent upon your taste buds, soya milk, rice milk, goats milk, the supermarkets have a large variety of lactulose free products. It is a matter of trial and error for your personal choice. Good Luck

"Lactulose"? I believe that is a medication used to treat constipation. I think you mean lactose.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the cow's milk alternatives, so I just stick with lactose free cows milk, or take lactaid and drink the regular stuff.
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat dairy. If you are just lactose intolerate you have a few more options though. some items are still considered dairy products but they are lactose free. As for dairy free there is Tofutti dairy-free sour cream and cream cheese, Veggie sliced cheese and shreds (not non dairy but is lactose free), Silk soy milk, Almond milk, coconut milk, coconut ice cream, Daiy mozzarella and cheddar shreds. Daiya is dairy free unlike Veggie cheese by Galaxy. I buy the Daiya shreds, Tofutiie cream cheese and sour cream at Kroger.
  • abbymalby
    Options
    Digestion Aids:
    If you have to have milk for nutrition or you just absolutely can't give it up, ok. But if that's not the case, and milk is bad for you, skip the pills, and just focus on the alternatives. I don't know how the pills work, but I would think it would be easier, and possibly healthier to give your body what it can digest instead of forcing it to handle what it usually can't.

Vanilla Milk:
    If you want to use milk in recipes, and not have 2 kinds in your fridge, get original, not vanilla. I can still make Kraft Mac&Cheese, but vanilla milk makes it icky. Original tastes more like regular milk and is more versatile if you cook.

Soy Cheese:
    Totally a personal opinion here: but the stuff I tried was nothing like cheese. See if you can try pizza and other cheesy things with "very light cheese". Your body could likely handle a smaller amount of cheese, and still get the real yummy, healthier taste.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have alluded to this previously, so I think it is worth noting: Different dairy products contain different amounts of lactose. In fact, hard cheeses have barely any lactose, while soft cheese have more, and straight milk has a lot. It might be worth looking into (and *gently* experimenting with) different forms of dairy to see what effect they have on you rather than going straight-out no dairy ever.