canned salmon. what to do with it?

Options

Replies

• mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I may be odd, but I love canned salmon. (But I love salmon in general.) Salmon croquettes, salmon cakes. I've scrambled it with egg whites for super protein goodness. Mixed it with citrus, greek yogurt, chopped crunchy veggies for a dip... Used it in place of tuna in tuna melts...

Yum!
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    throw gas on it and light it on fire
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Dump it in a bowl, add 1 egg and enough breadcrumbs to get it to hold together. Dash of salt, dash of pepper. Shape into patties like burgers and either cook them in the George Foreman grill or in a frying pan until golden. I guess you could do them in the oven too. Just get them done enough to make sure the egg is cooked. The salmon already is.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Usually I just grab a fork and try and elbow the cats out of the way (they love it). The bones are really soft due to the cooking they do and can be eaten. You can mash it into a wrap or pitta and then pop it in the micro for a warm up - lovely...
  • greatdanebabies
    Options
    I like to use an egg and some crackers. Mix it up into patties and put it in the oven. My grandma always did this but fried them. I figure oven is a little healthier. Some also like a little salt on them but I will eat them without. I bet some onion or even minced onion would also be good in them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Salmon cakes!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    salmon patties/cakes! YUM!!! i make them with tuna too :smile:
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make a salad called Mimosa: it's got layers and it looks pretty in a clear glass bowl.
    1. layer of canned salmon, drained and without the little bones that you sometimes find inside the can
    2. very thin layer of low-fat mayo
    3. layer of grated white onion
    4. very thin layer of low-fat mayo
    5. layer of grated boiled carrots
    6. very thin layer of low-fat mayo
    7. layer of grated boiled egg whites
    8. very thin layer of low-fat mayo
    9. layer of grated boiled yolks.
    Generally about 3 carrots, 1 onion and 5 eggs will do it for 1 can of salmon. This salad is a hit at family gatherings.
  • aprince77
    aprince77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i put a bit of fat free mayonaise and eat it with melba toast:smile:
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eat it! Heat it up and have it w/ some quinoa!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The kind without bones/skin, like what can be purchased at Costco or Trader Joe's, can be used just like canned tuna. Salmon salad, salmon fritters. It's just cooked salmon.

The kind with bones/skin is something I will not eat :)
  • rcillo219
    rcillo219 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious to try canned Salmon. Growing up in a family in the fish business I guess you could say I'm "spoiled" when it comes to seafood since everything I ate/eat is always freshly caught aside from canned tuna. I can tell you that bones in your fish is not a good sign normally it means it wasn't cleaned properly so if it's got bones/skin in it I may not be buying it after all lol.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Salmon cakes is the only way I can eat it. I think there's a recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook....
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Throw it out?

My mother ruined canned salmon for me when she tried to make a salmon loaf. You know, like a meat loaf but with salmon. That killed it for me...
  • zinger717
    Options
    Salmon is a great source of omega 3s. Red (sockeye) salmon is much better than pink salmon. Treat it just like canned tuna. I mix it with a bit a mayo and hot peppers. Voila!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Boil your pasta, while that cooks dry fry (good non stick pan required) some sliced spring onions, pour in a half glass of white wine, add 100gms low fat soft cheese and stir til it disolves, stir in salmon and simmer gently for a couple of mins, add drained pasta and mix. Serves 4 with a side salad
    Enjoy :)
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Here's a bunch of recipes to have a look at: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/convenience-cooking/canned-food-recipes/canned-seafood/canned-salmon/top.aspx

edit: The bones are a calcium source and the skin has high omega-3 oils. All perfectly edible!
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Don't throw it away, what a damn waste, awful advice! Make salmon cakes, very good.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    samlmon loaf.... seriously, yummy.
    Google a recipe.

^^This....salmon loaf is awesome!! Even my kids love it!!
  • smileMOR
    Options
    Something i do all the time:
    pour out the juice, and mix with mayo while cutting it up with fork.
    When done, either put it on bread or eat it with crackers.
    i presonally would recommend this idea with canned chicken instead. (: