Sound like a healthy/clean diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I certainly knew that was coming. I have seen that statistic time and time again. Look it up for yourself. Of course, I don't think statistics can be trusted much, either. But I personally know a LOT of people who feel better when they take dairy out of their diet. When I personally consume dairy, I am constipated for days and then have a terrible upset stomach, in addition to horrible stabbing pains in my stomach, etc. It's not a rare problem. It's fine if you don't agree, with the stats but I do think lactose intolerance is pretty common. But please don't be so rude. Maybe your blood sugar is low. Perhaps you need a healthy snack. Maybe you should have a glass of cow's milk, if you love it so much, and then question why you are spending your time trying to shoot down other people's views and lifestyles in the Internet, when you could be doing something much better with your time, like improving your personality/people skills.

There is far far more misinformation on the net about nutrition than there is scientifically proven fact, and a crazy number of 'stats' and 'facts' are just repeated and reblogged over and over again without anyone bothering to research them. I can assure you if there was scientific evidence that 80% of people were intolerant to dairy the UK national health service would not be encouraging its consumption - our political and healthcare systems are run very differently to yours in the US.

The problem with anecdotal evidence of self diagnosed intolerances is that they are unscientific and rarely based on someone doing a proper exclusion diet. For example someone might quit dairy - so they stop eating breakfast cereal because they are not having milk or reduce pasta because they cannot have cheese. So are the beneficial results due to reducing wheat intake, sugar intake (cereal is often more sweetened than toast), having smaller portions of carbs, or a benefit of ADDING in potatoes/ rice/ oats/ eggs or whatever they ate instead of the cereal or pasta dishes?

I have seen this with nutrition clients, almost made the mistake myself and seen it with my sibling's spouse. At one time they thought they might be coeliac because gluten appeared to be a trigger for IBS like symptoms. When questioned they were eating almost entirely white wheat flour, always with a lot of fat and/ or sugar (cakes, pizza). Obviously these being unhealthy they were treats as part of an overly large meal - very fatty meals are a known trigger for digestive issues, both sugar and white refined carbs are terrible for feeding the bad bacteria in the gut and imbalances here are believed to be a major part of IBS. The problem was not the gluten protein at all.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I certainly knew that was coming. I have seen that statistic time and time again. Look it up for yourself. Of course, I don't think statistics can be trusted much, either. But I personally know a LOT of people who feel better when they take dairy out of their diet. When I personally consume dairy, I am constipated for days and then have a terrible upset stomach, in addition to horrible stabbing pains in my stomach, etc. It's not a rare problem. It's fine if you don't agree, with the stats but I do think lactose intolerance is pretty common. But please don't be so rude. Maybe your blood sugar is low. Perhaps you need a healthy snack. Maybe you should have a glass of cow's milk, if you love it so much, and then question why you are spending your time trying to shoot down other people's views and lifestyles in the Internet, when you could be doing something much better with your time, like improving your personality/people skills.

There is far far more misinformation on the net about nutrition than there is scientifically proven fact, and a crazy number of 'stats' and 'facts' are just repeated and reblogged over and over again without anyone bothering to research them. I can assure you if there was scientific evidence that 80% of people were intolerant to dairy the UK national health service would not be encouraging its consumption - our political and healthcare systems are run very differently to yours in the US.

The problem with anecdotal evidence of self diagnosed intolerances is that they are unscientific and rarely based on someone doing a proper exclusion diet. For example someone might quit dairy - so they stop eating breakfast cereal because they are not having milk or reduce pasta because they cannot have cheese. So are the beneficial results due to reducing wheat intake, sugar intake (cereal is often more sweetened than toast), having smaller portions of carbs, or a benefit of ADDING in potatoes/ rice/ oats/ eggs or whatever they ate instead of the cereal or pasta dishes?

I have seen this with nutrition clients, almost made the mistake myself and seen it with my sibling's spouse. At one time they thought they might be coeliac because gluten appeared to be a trigger for IBS like symptoms. When questioned they were eating almost entirely white wheat flour, always with a lot of fat and/ or sugar (cakes, pizza). Obviously these being unhealthy they were treats as part of an overly large meal - very fatty meals are a known trigger for digestive issues, both sugar and white refined carbs are terrible for feeding the bad bacteria in the gut and imbalances here are believed to be a major part of IBS. The problem was not the gluten protein at all.

I understand ALL of that, really. I know that misinformation abounds. (Although I must point out that I didn't say all my knowledge on the topic comes from the Internet; it doesn't.) And honestly, I just threw the almond milk thing in there as a suggestion. And it WASN'T a suggestion about dairy milk not being good for you. I just thought it might be a substitute she would enjoy that would save her some calories for other foods she's currently not including in her diet. I only even brought up lactose intolerance because someone jumped on my case because I even MENTIONED almond milk. Thank you for responding in a careful, well thought out way, though, unlike so many other people. I am not trying to convince anyone to go off dairy, though. My comment was completely misconstrued. I was simply chatting. This is a forum, after all. I don't pretend to be a nutritionist. At all. I am definitely taking a break from commenting on forums, because things can get so blown out of proportion and misunderstood. It's quite sickening, really.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, my lactose-intolerance is NOT self diagnosed. ASSUMPTIONS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Chobbes1985
    Chobbes1985 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good. I would look to add a protein to your breakfast on the days you didn't have skim milk.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a little something here and there, of course...

Breakfast is typically healthy whole grain cereal with skim milk and some fruit, like strawberries and bananas, or toast with peanut butter on whole grain bread

Lunch is generally omelets with vegetables, or a salad with 4 -5 different veggies, some sort of meat and maybe some fruit

Dinner is a salad with chicken, and some almonds

I drink a lot of water, and I drink some green tea, no sugar added.

Healthy yes. If this is everyday I'd get bored really quickly, I like a lot of variety to my diet. Open up your diary for a more thorough critique!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, my lactose-intolerance is NOT self diagnosed. ASSUMPTIONS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is you who is making assumptions, I neither said nor implied your intolerance was self diagnosed! You referred to your many friends with dairy issues in the context of the unsubstantiated claim that 80% of people are intolerant to some degree.

The reason you are being picked up is you gave 'facts' and figures that you are unwilling to back up and others believe are wildly off, not simply the benefit of your personal experience.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes :-)
    It seems like you're looking for a yes or no, not comments on the calories, variety, etc. So, the answer is yes. That is a healthy diet.
    Clean, however, depends on your definition. Depending on your source milk and whole grains can be very processed. Your veggies could be covered in pesticides. Animal products can be considered unclean. I don't know your definition of "clean." I'd eat everything you have listed, but not everyone would.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It sounds very similar to how I eat, with the exception of the weekend.

I identify with having a routine too, and tend to eat the same things - I'm happy this way, and I feel no need to change it. I eat about 1900 calories a day, which could account for an extra veggie serving at night with a small treat of low cal ice cream.

So far, I've been very successful, and it's easily maintainable.