How long to get to goal weight after baby?!

Options

Replies

• jediharrison
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I am always forgetting nine up, nine down rule. It's just so far away! Haha. Right now I'm doing insanity and playing indoor soccer and breastfeeding so I'm pretty active. I'll be playing tennis again soon once my endurance is up to par. I also go on outdoor adventures with my little one which im pretty sure she likes ;) And now I plan to be patient... Haha (not my best quality) i always forget to remind myself of that... Patience, patience. I like the mindset of "slow and steady wins the race" so I'll have to write that down somewhere.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I gained 25 pounds with my first, she weighed 10 pounds. back to a little under pre-preg weight in just under 2 years after her.
    I gained 30 pounds with my twins. They were born at 37 weeks and were 6"5"and 6"3'. I am just now under my pre-preg weight with them and they just turned five.

It takes time. and honestly I always cringe when I see people saying to nurse because the weight will melt off...that is just not true for everyone and it is hugely frustrating if you have that expectation. nurse if you want to nurse for baby and you but not just to *melt off fat* because that may or may not be your reality. Hang in there and keep on truckin'. priorities change after having kids and sometimes things just take longer. lol Good luck to you!
  • jediharrison
    Options
    My baby was ten and a half pounds! Yay for monster babies! Lol. I don't buy that breastfeeding will make me lose wight either... Well, I'm skeptical. But it IS convenient and good for my little gal. The weight hasn't melted off me, just after delivery when the humongous child entered the world... Fastest weight loss I ever had. Haha.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    About 14 years. :-)

Ha!
  • jediharrison
    Options
    That answer is so subjective and varied-even in the same mommy!!! Just my last 2 pregnancies:
    #3-started at 164, gained about 40'ish.....by 11 mos pp I was at 150. No exercise. No diet. Nothing! Just nursing.

*****enter zoloft into my life******

Started out on my 4th pregnancy at 189'ish :/ (surprise pregnancy) and am just now at 169. With A TON of work. Diet, exercise, etc. And he's 3. Blah. Of course I had to take zoloft the entire time I nursed him. I think that has something to do with it. Weaned him at 18 mos to switch to prozac and started killing myself with working out, etc....still have about 20 lbs to go-although I HAVE technically lost the pregnancy weight.

So, work at it but give yourself a break! It's a lot about hormones, etc too! 3 mos is a very short time! And enjoy that baby!

Does zoloft make you gain weight? I took Prozac for a little bit but didn't like it and turns out I'm ADHD but I don't take anything for it, I'm scared to become addicted to it.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hear that...she was half of what I had gained! and when i Had my little twins I missed the little chunk my first was. :love: :blushing:

I would say be careful about eating enough calories to keep your supply up but not too much. I think where I went wrong was going crazy with extra cals for nursing plus my body not being one that was terribly efficient at burning cals during nursing. bad bad combo. lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    About 14 years. :-)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is me. My son is 17 and I'm still trying to lose 10 lbs from him.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Baby #1: 140 pre-preg, 165 at delivery, 120 1 yr later. Scary skinny and couldn't gain weight no matter how much I ate.
    Baby#2 (8 years later): 175 pre-preg, 200 at delivery, 180 within a month.
    Baby #3 (3 years later): 205 pre-preg (ugh), 240 at delivery (double ugh), started here 1 month later at 219, little guy is 8 months old, and I'm 165!! :happy:

I breastfed/breastfeed all of them for a couple years on demand.

Funny how I'm so proud to be the same weight I was when I delivered my first. Haha! Goal is 150's, a weight I haven't seen in 6 years. So close!
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    lol I'm 10 years post partum and just go back to my before baby weight in the last 6 months. Keep going at it, you will get there :)
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i had my daughter in march and i was back at my pre-baby weight at her 6 month birthday :) i gained between 40-45 lbs while pregnant....my body composition was not (and still isn't) exactly what it was like before being pregnant...even when the weight comes off it takes a bit longer to get the pre-baby body back...some parts are still squishy that were firm before :) good luck! you will get there :)
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    A little over two years to lose the weight completely and keep it off--BUT my pooch is still there. Now I'm working on toning it up! :)
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started my journey here on MFP at my lower then my pre-preg weight. I lost 20lbs my first trimester, and was told it was 'okay' because I had a lot to lose, then slowly gained some weight back.

Prepreg, I was 165. When I went into the hospital I was 175. After I gave birth I was 145. The weeks following the birth I had no energy or desire to cook or bother with what I was putting in my mouth, and went from 145-157 within 8 weeks. Thankfully my wake-up call happened at 6mo PP, and I'd some how managed to stay around 157.

Today I'm at 141. This is a huge deal for me, because 1) Its lower then I was after birth, and 2) its the lowest I've been since high-school. and I plan on losing even more.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A good year every time.
  • shaylala03
    Options
    Im working on it after four years but three of which I wasnt wokring out and eating right I had a C-section and took forever to heal everyones body is different and metabolism breast feeding defantly helps! Be realistic and set your goals small and baby steps! You can do it dont get frustrated and remember EVERYONEs body is different and will react different each right and exercise and you will be there by no time!
  • fit30s
    fit30s Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "Goal weight" and "getting in shape" are two different things. I remembered learning something like this in my health care profession:

What comprises your weight gain during pregnancy:
    On average:
    The baby will be 6 to 8 pounds
    The placenta will be 2 to 3 pounds
    The increased blood supply will be about 4 pounds
    The increase in breast tissue will be 2 to 3 pounds
    The amniotic fluid will be about 2 to 3 pounds
    Extra fat stores for delivery and production of milk will be 5 to 9 pounds
    The increase in the size of your uterus comprises about 2 to 5 pounds
    The total weight gain being between 23 and 35 pounds

(This I got from http://www.3fatchicks.com/post-pregnancy-weight-loss-doing-it-safely/)

In a perfect world, most of this is gone almost immediately (baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, etc). I was lucky enough that I probably left the hospital weighing pretty much my pre-preg weight (I did only carry about 25 lbs extra). But for most, they have to work a little harder at it. And - losing the weight early still leaves stretched, weak abdominal muscles.

Keep at it. As long as you're eating healthy and exercising, you're doing better than if you weren't.
  • Mccnkya
    Mccnkya Posts: 2
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs. with my 1st and lost it all within 6 weeks. 2nd baby, I gained 60 lbs, and 6 months later have only lost 30 lbs. Not sure what the difference is. I'm even working at it this time and it's not wanting to come off. Good luck!
  • Tara_238
    Tara_238 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had 3 kids in 5 years and kept 20lbs from each. My youngest is 3 and I am now working on losing the weight. I breast fed for a tottal of 2 years and it didn't help one bit
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    With all 3 of my babies, I was back to pre-pregnancy weight within 6 months. If you nurse your baby, it melts right off.
    I gained between 45-50 lbs with each of them.

I nursed exclusively and the weight did not "melt" off for me.

Pre-pregnancy weight was 170ish, highest preggo weight was 240 and 20 lbs did melt off just by giving birth after that it took me 9 months to reach pre-preggo weight! Be patient and stay motivated. :D
  • eskiadas
    eskiadas Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    With my daughter (she is 3 now) it took me about a year to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight ( I gained 35 lbs with her) I am 8 months PP now with my son and I am less than my pre-pregnancy weight (I gained 28 lbs with him) . This time around, I have been using MFP as well as working with a personal trainer.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this "thread"--I'm currently 6 mos pregnant, had lost 53 plus pounds prior to getting pregnant, and I've currently only gained 9lbs. As long as baby is healthy and I don't need to gain alot of weight, I'm hoping to gain no more than 20lbs total. I know with my first child (which was almost 25yrs ago) I gained 65lbs, lost approx half of that bf I was pregnant with my 2nd child (almsot 24yrs ago--got pregnant with him 5 mos aft deliv my first child) but gained 55lbs while pregnant with 2nd child. I managed to lose pretty much all of that bf getting pregnant with my 3rd child 22 mos after that.
    I agree with a prior post--it really depends on the "individual" and how hard you work at it. When I deliver not only do i plan to incorporate excercise but I'll be nursing so I believe i'll be on track.

Just set your goals, work hard, and you'll be where you want in no time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!