"Best" protein supplement?

Options
Ok, so I think I'm going to cave and get a protein supplement. So I get online and search... "Protein supplement". Easy enough, right? Until I saw that there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of different protein supplements. Suggestions?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    The cheapest?
  • daniel7121
    daniel7121 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Umm, reasonably priced I'd say. I don't want the cheapest (though if it tastes good and works well, I'll take it).
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein whey protein in vanilla creme. I'm beginning to see weight loss/definition again after about a month of sitting at a wall
  • zmarzouka
    Options
    This actually depends on your goal, if your looking to lose weight try to get a low calorie protein supplement, I recommend Iso 100 by dymatize (tastes really good) 106 calories per serving or ON Gold Standard Whey 120 calories per serving. But remember to lose weight you have to eat at a caloric deficit.

But at the end of the day, all protein supplements are just protein in the form of powder, you can eat your protein from natural sources like eggs, chicken breasts, fish etc., the only advantage of protein supplements is their ease of use and convenience, other than that they have no advantages, and don't expect that you'll build huge muscles if you take them, because you simply won't.
  • mrb2217
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk Light and GNC Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 mixed with skim milk and water after working out. Before I go to bed I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standart 100% Casein and Muscle Milk Light mixed with skim milk and water.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    depends on what your looking for really........taste? amount of protein per serving? easily mixed?? I prefer Muscle Milks 100% Whey......it tastes awesome ( in my opinion ) and it mixes with just two shakes of my hand shaker. I use one scoop that gets 27 grams of protein mixed with just 4-6 ounces of water. Its lower fat that most, lower carbs...2 and sugar is 1 gram- im doing this from memory ( faulty at times ) cause I dont remember the exact totals but I like it. Ive been in the business for a long time and for me, its the best protein shake out there. Im sure others will disagree, lol.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Iso whey (rapid fuel)
    Casein whey (slow fuel)
    Soy and egg protein (don't go there)

For taste, it's a personal choice..I've tried dozen.
    I like Combat from Musclepharm etc..

Pure protein was mention earlier...it's good too (they have amazing protein bars too...crazy for them)....A LOT!

So go with Iso whey..... don't take fancy flavor....try chocolate or vanilla first....
  • TexasTroy
    Options
    Iso whey (rapid fuel)
    Casein whey (slow fuel)

Pure protein was mention earlier...it's good too (they have amazing protein bars too...crazy for them)....A LOT!

So go with Iso whey..... don't take fancy flavor....try chocolate or vanilla first....
    agreed and definitely " DONT TRY FANCY FLAVOR FIRST"....you will just be pissed off
  • TexasTroy
    Options
    Iso whey (rapid fuel)
    Casein whey (slow fuel)

agreed and definitely " DONT TRY FANCY FLAVOR FIRST"....you will just be pissed off

So definitely no strawberry/chocolate chip/bannanasplit/vanilla swirley , mixes....you will be sorely not happy, lol.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This actually depends on your goal, if your looking to lose weight try to get a low calorie protein supplement, I recommend Iso 100 by dymatize (tastes really good) 106 calories per serving or ON Gold Standard Whey 120 calories per serving. But remember to lose weight you have to eat at a caloric deficit.

But at the end of the day, all protein supplements are just protein in the form of powder, you can eat your protein from natural sources like eggs, chicken breasts, fish etc., the only advantage of protein supplements is their ease of use and convenience, other than that they have no advantages, and don't expect that you'll build huge muscles if you take them, because you simply won't.

*Scratches head* You try and eat almost 300g of protein from natural sources and work all day, its almost impossible. Not only that but its cheaper to buy the powder and slam it down and still have room to eat more real foods rather than to buy $30+ every day trying to get in a high/er intake of protein. Of course it depends on your needs and goals but it gets difficult once you are over 200lbs eating 1g of protein per body weight every day in just food so the powder comes in handy.

EDIT: I like this one because it tastes good and it has 7 different types of protein. Some are a fast digesting protein others are slower.
    protein7.png
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

But at the end of the day, all protein supplements are just protein in the form of powder, you can eat your protein from natural sources like eggs, chicken breasts, fish etc.,the only advantage of protein supplements is their ease of use and convenience, other than that they have no advantages, and don't expect that you'll build huge muscles if you take them, because you simply won't.

*Scratches head* You try and eat almost 300g of protein from natural sources and work all day, its almost impossible. Not only that but its cheaper to buy the powder and slam it down and still have room to eat more real foods rather than to buy $30+ every day trying to get in a high/er intake of protein. Of course it depends on your needs and goals but it gets difficult once you are over 200lbs eating 1g of protein per bodyweight every day.

The average American gets more than enough protein from their diet to build up muscle. That even goes for most athletes. The only people that MIGHT benefit from added protein are professional level body builders and people with various diseases. Don't be fooled by the advertising campaigns-protein supplements, while convenient, are not going to get you closer to your strength training goals.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

But at the end of the day, all protein supplements are just protein in the form of powder, you can eat your protein from natural sources like eggs, chicken breasts, fish etc.,]the only advantage of protein supplements is their ease of use and convenience, other than that they have no advantages, and don't expect that you'll build huge muscles if you take them, because you simply won't.

*Scratches head* You try and eat almost 300g of protein from natural sources and work all day, its almost impossible. Not only that but its cheaper to buy the powder and slam it down and still have room to eat more real foods rather than to buy $30+ every day trying to get in a high/er intake of protein. Of course it depends on your needs and goals but it gets difficult once you are over 200lbs eating 1g of protein per body weight every day in just food so the powder comes in handy.

The average American gets more than enough protein from their diet to build up muscle. That even goes for most athletes. The only people that MIGHT benefit from added protein are body builders and people with various diseases. Money down the drain.

^^In bold.
  • TexasTroy
    Options

*Scratches head* You try and eat almost 300g of protein from natural sources and work all day, its almost impossible. Not only that but its cheaper to buy the powder and slam it down and still have room to eat more real foods rather than to buy $30+ every day trying to get in a high/er intake of protein. Of course it depends on your needs and goals but it gets difficult once you are over 200lbs eating 1g of protein per bodyweight every day.

OP I like this one because it tastes good and it has 7 different types of protein. Some are a fast digesting protein others are slower.
    protein7.png

" hard to get your protein'??? what??? do you eat two times a day??? when I was bodybuilding I was getting 400 grams a day and I wasnt even trying, I was just eating food, lol.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

That is all.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

OP I like this one because it tastes good and it has 7 different types of protein. Some are a fast digesting protein others are slower.
    protein7.png

" hard to get your protein'??? what??? do you eat two times a day??? when I was bodybuilding I was getting 400 grams a day and I wasnt even trying, I was just eating food, lol.

I can not eat 6 times a day because of work. But I am happy for you that you could eat that much food and get a high protein intake. I could only imagine it was a fortune on your wallet.
  • TexasTroy
    Options
    oh and BTW...at my heaviest, I was only 170-175 pounds..
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    oh and BTW...at my heaviest, I was only 170-175 pounds..

lol you were over eating protein 400grams ed at 170-175lbs :laugh:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    he didnt say the MOST EXPENSIVE protein supplement

im not from america so i cant tell you , but stick with a synergy whey blended protein . its slower release than whey but not as slow as casein . perfect for your goals
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

But at the end of the day, all protein supplements are just protein in the form of powder, you can eat your protein from natural sources like eggs, chicken breasts, fish etc.,]the only advantage of protein supplements is their ease of use and convenience, other than that they have no advantages, and don't expect that you'll build huge muscles if you take them, because you simply won't.

The average American gets more than enough protein from their diet to build up muscle. That even goes for most athletes. The only people that MIGHT benefit from added protein are body builders and people with various diseases. Money down the drain.

^^In bold.

That whole 1 g protein per body weight thing is a myth.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

^^In bold.

That whole 1 g protein per body weight thing is a myth.

^^Let me see a peer study review on those who strength train? I strength train and I would rather have more protein than not enough. :drinker: