5' 8" and questioning potential GW

Options

Replies

• jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think thats completely up to you. (within reason of course)

I'm 5'8 and am hoping to land myself around 125. I have a small frame, and sitting around 140 right now I feel like I have A LOT to lose. I think between 120 and 160 is about "normal range"

Ultimately just go with what makes you comfortable. And good luck!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" with a small frame. Sitting at 150 and still flabby. If I had a larger frame, I would have looked far smaller at 165. We are all shaped a little differently and we all have varied fat placement. Seems the average range you're getting here is 140-160 with some outlying pieces of data.

Work on composition rather than loss. You could be heavier than you thought you'd be at goal but still be your ideal shape. The tape measure and even the mirror can often be better than the scale.
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    just subtract 15 pounds from where you are and make that your goal weight, then when you get there, you can decide if you want to set a new goal. i am 5'8 also and have a bigger frame. i started at 252, my first goat being 200lb. right now i'm at 202, and have changed my goal to 175. take it in steps, it makes it less overwhelming. :)
  • maddieprice87
    maddieprice87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun!

I found this site that lets you calculate your ideal weight range based on the size of your frame. Obviously it's still not an exact science but worth a look. When I was at my lightest I looked weird because I have a broad frame, whereas my friend (who is 1in taller) has always weighed about 14lb less than me and has never looked emaciated! Its a very individual kind of thing.

anyways, have a look and see if this helps

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp

First you need to calculate your frame size, then you need to click the link to enter in your height and sex, then it will give you the ideal weight for each frame size.

I have a large frame and I'm 5 '10 and it says my ideal weight is 74 Kg, which personally I feel is a little high for me, but I'm not sure if this is a medical thing or what. It'll give you a decent ballpark figure though :)

EDIT- I just checked my frame size with a 1/8 inch smaller wrist size and got medium, so I'm guessing the reason why I feel 74 Kg is a little high is because I'm medium/large rather than large frame. So for me, in between 69 and 74 would be ideal for me, and i'm aiming for around that so it seems ok!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i am 5'8" on my goal weight (111 lbs)
    you might think thats too low, however my body gains weight in weird parts so i have to keep myself skinny in order to look good.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i am 5'8" on my goal weight (111 lbs)
    you might think thats too low, however my body gains weight in weird parts so i have to keep myself skinny in order to look good.

You look good in your profile photo. What do you weigh there?

I'm 5'3" with a small frame and at that weight, I'm about a size 2.
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    I am shocked by how many people are 5'8' and weight in the high 120's. I say that because I'm 5'2" and weigh 127. Someone earlier said it best, set a goal to lose 15 pounds, see how you feel and look at that point then set another goal if you want to lose more. I agree with the others that say, you will know when you have reached weight that you are happy with. Best of luck to ya, and don't compare yourself to others!:flowerforyou:
  • victoria090
    victoria090 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Girl Im in the same boat - it does really depend on your bone frame etc. Im 5'8 and 160 right now...and I feel okay..seeing people though comment on the 120mark blows me away...because I feel if I were to loose 40 pounds...Id be beyond sick looking. Also Id say depends on how you feel. If you feel good @ 150 then keep it at 150!! Im not professional but Id say between 140-150 youd feel great!
  • I'm 5'8 and a very strong 160. I'd like to lose ten or fifteen more, but for my build, I'm not sure that's possible. My waist to hip ratio is good, I think that's a helpful measurement in deciding a goal. I've been in the same weight range (or heavier) since I was sixteen, so I could never imagine myself weighing 130 or less.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It depends on your bone structure/build. Anything from 130 to 165.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and my goal weight is 175-180.

Guess we will see when I get closer...but am quite content with this possibility and being about a size 12 US.
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" I have weighed anywhere from 110 to 155 through my life. My wrist measurements put me at a small frame. I think I looked the best at 137. I am naturally top heavy and in the past I've been told I look like a bean pole with boobs.

I currently weigh 150. I'd like to be 140-145. However I will settle for whatever makes me look/feel good. I feel healthier and toner w/curves but I want the outside to match the inside. I'm not there yet. I also want to get back into the jeans I've had for years :)

I have to say how fascinating it is to read about everyone's different sizes/weights. There really is not a one size fits all. Even within body frames and heights.
  • kellybatkin
    kellybatkin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 5"8 as well! My goal weight is 135, im at 145 now! Original goal was 150 but wasn't happy when I got there! I think its good to just set a goal and re-evaluate along the way! I don't think you will ever know what weight you will look best at until you get there! x
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and currently aiming for around 135...

However, has anyone said that maybe you should look into your body fat % instead? A goal weight is kind of a vague thing, because due to how much muscle (or lean body mass) I have, I could definitely still be pudgy at 135, or I could be lean and fit at the same weight. As you get smaller, your measurements start to matter a lot more than the number on the scale. Just something to think about :)
  • DarkKitten
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currenty 135-136lbs, I was 185lbs my heaviest and although this site told me to get a goal weight when i joined i really don't have one. I am a small but thick frame, i have heavy thick bones and big ribcage for my frame so i'd never look good when i'd decide to weigh 120lbs. I'd advise to go for body measurements that you'd feel comfortable with.

I am currently 35-26.5-35.5 inches and i have a soft stomach area so i'm going to work on that now. Also why i don't like following the scale is that most likely when i start working out i'll gain muscle which is heavier than fat so i'll go maybe upto 140lbs and mentally that would be a bummer while in body measurements i'd look much better. :P
  • onewayoranother23
    onewayoranother23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, so much! I'm pretty sure if I was 114 I'd be dead. Lol. :]
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/ideal_bw_women.htm

Anywhere between 126 and 167 (thereabouts) depending on frame size. I currently have a final goal of 150, but we'll see what happens when I'm close!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Going on your BMI alone, it shows a healthy weight range for a woman your height to be between 125 and 179. That's a large range to take into account body types and such. Maybe start by aiming for 150-ish and see how you feel when you get there. Do you want to lose more? Do you just want to be more toned? It all depends on your body type and what you want to look like when you are done.
  • Sheilagh85
    Sheilagh85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, have a bigger frame like you and carry my weight in my hips. I'm currently 170 and my goal weight is 155. At 155 I am a size 5-6 and a small in shirts. I've been 145 before and I looked like I had an eating disorder, actually had a few interventions from friends and family. I think anything below 150 for larger framed people is not realistic. It just seem that everyone is so different, so I think its hard to judge what weight works for what person. Just set small goals and see how you feel and look at each weight. Judging by your picture you already look pretty slim at 170 so I'm guessing we have a similar body type!