Pizza is NOT junk food

Options

Replies

• tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    we always make fresh dough at home with bread yeast. comes out fantastic. i make the sauce and we use part-skim mozzarella. hubby puts what he wants on his pizza, i put what i want on mine (usually chicken or mushrooms, no greasy meats like sausage or pepperoni, though i do love both) and most of the time, i'll have enough leftovers for lunches to bring to work for the next couple of days. works for me!
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also make my own pizza dough and sauce with no sugar, and it is far superior to what you can buy. We use lots of fresh mushrooms and Gianelli hot italian sausage. Unfortunately I have trouble staying with 2 pieces, but I'm working on it.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Pizza is totally healthy!....
    wpic-pizza-win.jpg

...Seems legit.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It's not 'unhealthy' but it is usually calorie dense. I save pizza for the days that I work out the hardest. On a day when I rake the yard, it's practically a 'free' meal, calorie-wise.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

There is no bad food

Oh that is the biggest load of crap I have heard in my entire life!
  • jdm1726
    jdm1726 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The Mccain ultra thin crust pizzas are between 300-340 calories for HALF the pizza! The spinach and provolone one is amazing!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    "Pizza is unhealthy ya know..." says my friend while eating a loaded cheese, ham and tomato sandwich :noway:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

There is no bad food

Oh that is the biggest load of crap I have heard in my entire life!

or not.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza and it works out to 415 calories per meal. I know because I weighed all the cheese, meats, peppers, onions, mushrooms, sauce, flour etc. Definitely not greasy, full of flavor and very filling.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I agree, I make my pizza dough from scratch, but don't use whole grain flour as a compromise for my boyfriend but still one average size pizza base is nearly 400 cals... Then add the topping! So for me right now it's not the best choice but it certainly isn't junk food!!!

;)

If you look at it that way, then any meal you prepare could be seen as unhealthy. I cook for a family of four, and looking at the number of calories of the entire meal I am cooking can be overwhelming, but if you break it down into serving sizes, you realize that it's not bad at all.

It's important to remember that you're not eating the WHOLE pizza (or shouldn't, at least). If you load it with healthy ingredients, and eat 1-2 slices, it can be very healthy!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I LOVE "Organic Pizza" especially the AMY'S Brand...and it is relatively healthy. As with all food it's about portion control. I make a lot of my own version of 'pizza's' at home, using wheat english muffins and loading them up with veggies....so I agree it's not PIZZA per-say, it's how you choose to make it! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.

^^ This.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    lmao everything in moderation!!

Exactly! Why is this so hard to understand / implement??

MODERATION
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I say pizza is horrible because I can EASILY consume my whole daily allowance in one sitting with a few slices....Anyone who can have just one is lying! lol
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree!! My wife and I have a pizza date every Tuesday and still I have managed to lose 48 lbs in 7 months. The key is now I have 2 slices and not 4-5 slices.

That was my plan of attack too...I no longer eat half a large pizza :)

I also make my own with no oil when I want a less greasy alternative. There's nothing overly healthy about it but it's not unhealthy either. This recipe is pretty foolproof (and then I add dried herbs and onion/garlic powders): http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/cheri-s-favorite-pizza-dough. I make enough for 4 pizzas, divide, freeze and thaw the morning of pizza night.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Pizza is the second worst junk food, next to Ice Cream! There are varying levels of healthiness a pizza can have, but even the best of the best in the pizza category is still not healthy food. The best you can do is minimize the damage.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Pizza is the second worst junk food, next to Ice Cream! There are varying levels of healthiness a pizza can have, but even the best of the best in the pizza category is still not healthy food. The best you can do is minimize the damage.

Mmmmm...Pizza AND Ice Cream
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I found the key to healthy pizza is to order Papa John's with the garlic butter. I swear it exits out the backside as fast as it enters the mouth.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I make my own gluten free pizza. Basically, I went out and found the lowest tomato calorie pizza sauce and added low fat cheeses (weight both) and add veggies and I can keep a small pizza to 500 to 525 calories. Eating pizza out is scary because they go overboard on the cheese. I generally make my own and buy a preprepared crust to start it off. It's not unhealthy if you do it right. Also, you don't eat tons and tons of pizza - just enough to meet your requirements.