You sleep HOW much??

Options

Replies

• cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When my body slows down, such as when I'd been not eating enough, or if I go to bed really late I could easily go with 10-12 hours and still feel sleepy. When I get less than 7 hours and/or if I go to bed very late consistently I noticed I do not lose weight, but I am not entirely sure if that's because I eat more or from some other mechanism. I lose more easily if I get consistent, earlier sleep. I also seem to lose more weight and need less nighttime sleep if I nap, but I can't always do that.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Now it's the holidays, I usually sleep around eight to nine hours. When I'm at uni, I normally get about five to six hours in :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I get 4-5 hours sadly. Work til 2 am, then up at 7 am to get the kid off to school and care for my toddler. Wish i got more.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hm. I'd say between 5 to 6 hours a night. I've never slept a lot even as a teenager. I sometimes fall into a deeper sleep on Friday's and Saturday's but I think that's because I'm less stressed out once the weekend hits. During the week, I've got way too many things going on and my brain is too awake.

Monica
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    In my experience the amount of sleep does help, especially the quality of the sleep.

^ I think he brought up a good point about "the quality of the sleep". That is more important than how many hours.
    I sleep 4 hours in the summer/ a night and 5 hours a night in the winter.
  • LivingJuicy
    LivingJuicy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    7-9 hours is optimum. And yes, sleep does affect weight loss. If you don't get enough sleep, your body compensates for the energy loss by telling you to eat more. This is physiologically proven by the higher levels of ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") in people who sleep less. You're body says "I don't have enough energy" and releases ghrelin to tell you to eat.

This! I had severe sleep apnea undiagnosed for who knows how long and I got to my highest weight ever. When they finally figured it out and I got treatment (CPAP), I dropped 40 pounds without trying AT ALL. I had been eating to make up for the energy I wasn't getting recharged during sleep. Of course, it only took my loss so far and now it's up to me to do the rest. Now I sleep about 7 hours a night and if I go below that, it definitely affects my weight loss.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Week nights I sleep between 4-6 hours per night.

Weekends typically between 12-16 hours give or take.

My weight loss has still been pretty steady.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think 7-9 hours is optimum. I'm not sure about how it affects weight loss; I know that it plays at least some role in muscle building. Either way, sleep's important.
    Not true at all.

It's based on the person.

I get 3-5 hours per day and weight loss has been fine.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely terrible! My entire life I have been a super-sleeper. I get about 10 hours a day and I love it. My sleeping habits have not changed through the course of my life and I haven't noticed sleep having any kind of effect on my weight. I've always been slimmer than my peers. I do find myself feeling stressed if I don't get enough sleep. Since stress can cause some people to overeat (not me - I'm the opposite), I can see where not getting good sleep could impact one's weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I usually sleep for six, maybe seven hours. I rarely have any obligations in the morning so I just let myself wake up when my body wakes me up naturally.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    5-7 for me and I do this 7 days a week. I find that quality and consistency works best for me. I honestly function better at 5-7, when I get more I actually feel more tired. I used to sleep in weekends, but I now set an alarm and make sure to get about the same (although I do go to bed a bit later and wake up a bit later, but still same amount of time).
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    right now i am getting 4-6 hrs of sleep a night thanks to a newborn and i have noticed if i go to many days with less sleep my weight will plateo and once i can get to 6 again i'll start losing. of course this could also be due to the fact that i have less energy on 4 hrs and therefore do less.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I sleep for about 7 hours on weekdays and average 8-9 on the weekends. If I do get tired, a 15 min power nap is all I need to revive me.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    6 hours is the most i get. I try going to sleep early, but it just doesn't happen.
  • Sicler
    Sicler Posts: 18
    Options
    On a good night maybe 4-5 hours. Try for more but it doesn't always workout with having a two year old. I do better on less sleep.
  • adnil17
    adnil17 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I need to see my local GP as i can not sleep. It is 3am and i am wide awake. i think this week I have had about 9 hours sleep in total since Monday it is now Thursday.

I feel very drained and cold during the day so tend to eat more and drink a lot more fatty drinks to keep warm and wake up
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    About 4 days of the week I get around 7 hours of sleep, 2 days of the week I have to stay up for over 24 hours since I do overnights and have to stay awake with my son and then Sunday is my sleep day where I usually get 10-12 hours! It SUCKS!!! lol
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the amount of sleep you get can effect your weight loss. Do you guys find this to be true? Is there a set amount of time you should sleep? I struggle to get 6 hrs each night.

I've read that both too much and too little sleep messes with one of the hormones that regulates appetite. My body likes more than eight hours but less than ten. On Tuesdays I go to work at 6:45 in the morning and get home from school usually after 10:00. I wake up tired on Tuesdays and usually am beyond exhausted by the time I get home. I tend to make worse food choices (read: 300 calories in cookies between breakfast and lunch, and eating two dinners) on Tuesdays and have less ability to control myself. I could, in theory, say "I'm not going to eat those cookies," but my stomach growls, my eyelids droop, and I feel like I need food energy. Long story short, I do think that being under-rested (and perhaps getting too much sleep, too) can negatively affect your eating habits and will power, and in turn, your weight loss.

As far as how much sleep you should get.........I think the most important thing is to feel well-rested. My mom gets between four and six hours of sleep a night and maintains a healthy weight. My dad, who is narcoleptic (narcoleptic, NOT epileptic, and could easily sleep for a whole day without his medication), has been overweight my whole life, partly because he also uses snacking as a tool to keep himself awake. Eight hours is a healthy average for many people...but everyone is different. I think you should stick to what works best for you!

Edit -- Forgot to mention: I've heard that sticking to a schedule is also important to getting to/staying at a healthy weight, as well as getting a good night's sleep. I've heard that you should try to eat meals at the same times every day, stopping like 2-4 hours before you intend to go to sleep. I've also heard the same thing about sleeping, that it's best go to bed the same time each night, and set the alarm for the same time each morning. Again, your schedule may not allow for this, so do what works best for you. I read this online, and thought it kind of related to the topic. Take care!
  • leligrace
    Options
    I am a workaholic and I have 2 part time jobs. One in the morning and one in the night/graveyard. So my sleep in weekdays is only around 5 hours and sleep better during weekends like 8-10 hours.